Samui airport chief shoots himself dead

webfact

Samui airport chief shoots himself dead

By The Nation

06ad100b9e07234646a0e45ea484ef66-sld.jpe

The chief technician of the Samui International Airport shot himself to death in his house on the island early on Wednesday, police said.

The Borphud police on Koh Samui responded to the shooting at 5:45am in Moo 4 village in Tambon Borphut.

Police said Anurak Boonkong, 44, died later at the Thai International Samui Hospital.

A .38 revolver was found near a sofa on the ground floor of the two-storey house and a suicide note was also found nearby, offering an apology to the family.

Tawan Boonkong, the son of Anurak, said his father returned from a snooker parlour at 5am and went upstairs briefly before he returning downstairs, presumably with his revolver.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30369038

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-05-08

Follow Thaivisa on LINE for breaking Thailand news and visa info

The charity Samaritans is available around the clock for people who want to talk.

If you or anyone you know is in need of mental health services, please contact the Samaritans of Thailand at their 24-hour hotline 02-713-6791 (English), 02713-6793 (Thai) or Thai Mental Health Hotline at 1323 (Thai).

http://www.samaritansthai.com/news/samaritans-of-thailand-english-hotline/

6 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Of course all good sensible Thais have a firearm in the house. You never know when they might come in handy !

Although your comment was made sarcastically, there is much truth in your statement.

Tawan Boonkong, the son of Anurak, said his father returned from a snooker parlour at 5am and went upstairs briefly before he returning downstairs, presumably with his revolver.

Must have been a bad game of snooker. RIP

10 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Although your comment was made sarcastically, there is much truth in your statement.

It was not made sarcastically at all. It is knowledge gleaned from living decades in Thailand. Sad as it seems I know.

3 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

It was not made sarcastically at all. It is knowledge gleaned from living decades in Thailand. Sad as it seems I know.

In which case I apologise.............................your post was both perceptive and accurate...

19 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Said there was a note, but don't tell us what it said.

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

The note was in the original article. Click on the Nation link above and then look at the second photo

The note basically says excuse/forgive me.  I love my kids.  

My wife does not think this was written by an educated person.  Like how Ka tode (excuse me) was written ka ka tode.

20 hours ago, Jip99 said:

The distribution of illegal firearms in Thailand is frightening.  All tougher gun laws do is make the honest people give up theirs and the criminals remain armed.

21 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Of course all good sensible Thais have a firearm in the house. You never know when they might come in handy !

21 hours ago, Jip99 said:

21 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

I've never owned a gun even though I was raised around them. My father had a 30-06, 12 gauge and a 22 long rifle. I shot many a quail, dove and rabbit, never lucky enough to find a turkey or deer (Dad did). But I really wish I could have a 38 here in Thailand. You guys are right, this is a dangerous world. If I ever move back to Texas, I will have something for self defense.

11 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I've never owned a gun even though I was raised around them. My father had a 30-06, 12 gauge and a 22 long rifle. I shot many a quail, dove and rabbit, never lucky enough to find a turkey or deer (Dad did). But I really wish I could have a 38 here in Thailand. You guys are right, this is a dangerous world. If I ever move back to Texas, I will have something for self defense.

Well if I could I wish I could have a Heckler & Koch MP7 together with a Barret M82 and that would take care of the flaming chickens and cows that seem to roam around.  However I digress from the OP subject matter and there are far to many guns in Thailand already.

On 5/9/2019 at 12:33 PM, AgMech Cowboy said:

I seriously doubt if any harmless creatures want you to return to Texas. 555

On 5/8/2019 at 2:11 AM, sammieuk1 said:

Probably playing for money and lost????RIP

Gambling and debts always a possibility.  I fear it was more insidious and related to his job.  Maybe pressure to relax or not scrutinize certain cargo or things like that passing through the airport.  I would think such an official would have a reasonable salary under normal conditions

Archived