Help, Where is the UPS Customs Office at CNX

AAArdvark

I ordered something from Amazon for $6.98 plus shipping.  Today I got an email from someone with UPS Customs at the Airport.  I have to email a copy of my passport and then go there with the original.  The person I spoke to could not tell me where they are located.  I tried to explain that the airport was kind of large but she could not even tell me if they were in a separate building.  If this happens with every order, I will stop using Amazon.

Has anyone been there and can tell me where to start my search?

Can't say if it's the UPS office but as you enter the airport with the terminals and parking on your right go beyond international and turn right into the next warehouse like building. The right hand office deals with customs duty and they will tell you where you need to pay.

8 minutes ago, Mahseer said:

Can't say if it's the UPS office but as you enter the airport with the terminals and parking on your right go beyond international and turn right into the next warehouse like building. The right hand office deals with customs duty and they will tell you where you need to pay.

I'll be walking.  I think I know the building that you are talking about.  Hopefully, there is a way to walk there.  Of course, how difficult would it have been for her to say something "Customs Building". 

The email that I got also said I had to go to a Thai customs office and register and pay ฿10 but she sort of backtracked when I said to just return the package.

Someone on here must have gone there before. 

44 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

The email that I got also said I had to go to a Thai customs office and register and pay ฿10 but she sort of backtracked when I said to just return the package.

I received a package from Australia and was told to pay 9,000baht duty and I also said 'return to sender' but was 'invited' upstairs where we eventually settled on 3,000. That was for something sent through the post office not courier and I was notified through the mail so maybe not the place you are looking for?

You're walking? I'd call UPS for specifics.

1 hour ago, OneEyedPie said:

I'd be more concerned with what they might spring on you when you get there.  

1 hour ago, AAArdvark said:

No sooner said than done.  Can't wait to hear the outcome of this one [not that I'm wishing you ill will, OP]. 

Today, Thursday 9 May is Royal Ploughing Day, so the customs office at the airport might be closed.

To get there from the bus stop, start walking south, go past the airport and walk into the next driveway on your right.  There is a building there that handles freight (I think it has a sign for Thai Airlines freight service) and also customs.  

Take the notice you received with you, your passport and money.  If the package is addressed to two people, as in Mr. & Mrs, bring both passports.

Be prepared for discussion.  Remember that customs duty is charged not only on the value of the item, but also the cost of the freight.  And they add 7% VAT to the total.

In the future, try to have items shipped via the postal system.  UPS/FedEx/DHL all cooperate closely with Thai customs dept, while Thai Post seems to have their own customs clearing channel and we've had numerous shipments sail thru USPS/Thai Post without any duty charges, while there is always a problem with UPS/FedEX/DHL

Thanks everyone for trying to help but UPS is beyond help.  After spending all night on the phone with Amazon and UPS it has become a total CF.

It turns out that the office at the airport where they want me to swing by and show my passport, is not CNX but BKK.

To further complicate things, I ordered two different things.  One was a cell phone and the other was a special foot bandage.  I received two emails from UPS customs about them.  It turns out that the one with the cell phone on it had roughly the same price but was NOT mine.  It was a different model and going to someone in Phuket.  The other item, with a value of $6.28, is mine.

I was told today that unless I send them my passport the item will be "abandoned" by Thai customs.  Amazon will not help but they did give me a refund.  Now I have to see if there is a problem with the phone that is mine.  Below is the quoted text from UPS, in perfect English:

"I recivce your solution from my system , You said can not register paperless and Thai customs and can not send original passport to me for register at Suvarnabhum airport .

If you can’t process and can’t do anything , UPS can’t handle next step and you shipment will

abandon by Thai customs next time"

Interesting that UPS wants me to use the post office to send my passport which, of course, I would be crazy to do.

I've had serious problems with them. When I  moved here, I had a number of personal items shipped. Started getting email and calls about problems. Having to pay custom fees,300 baht a day storage, etc.

They stopped replying to m,y emails or returning phone calls. Did an internet search and got the contact information for President of UPS and sent a blistering email.

The next day I received a call from UPS Thailand manager. Had my package delivered the next day (no charges).

UPS uses a contractor in Thailand.

I suggest you send an email as far up the food chain in UPS and get them on this. Also, I would contact Amazon and let them know. Amazon is UPS customer and will get better results moving forward.

I will never use UPS in Thailand again.

PS I would never pay a bribe to get a delivery from a delivery company.

12 minutes ago, Jeffkp said:

I've had serious problems with them. When I  moved here, I had a number of personal items shipped. Started getting email and calls about problems. Having to pay custom fees,300 baht a day storage, etc.

They stopped replying to m,y emails or returning phone calls. Did an internet search and got the contact information for President of UPS and sent a blistering email.

The next day I received a call from UPS Thailand manager. Had my package delivered the next day (no charges).

UPS uses a contractor in Thailand.

I suggest you send an email as far up the food chain in UPS and get them on this. Also, I would contact Amazon and let them know. Amazon is UPS customer and will get better results moving forward.

I will never use UPS in Thailand again.

PS I would never pay a bribe to get a delivery from a delivery company.

Thanks, that is what I'm doing now.  My item was from Amazon.  I have made several Amazon orders and they come from multiple shippers.  I don't know of a way to order from Amazon and choose the shipper.

On 5/9/2019 at 11:39 AM, AAArdvark said:

Thanks everyone for trying to help but UPS is beyond help.  After spending all night on the phone with Amazon and UPS it has become a total CF.

It turns out that the office at the airport where they want me to swing by and show my passport, is not CNX but BKK.

To further complicate things, I ordered two different things.  One was a cell phone and the other was a special foot bandage.  I received two emails from UPS customs about them.  It turns out that the one with the cell phone on it had roughly the same price but was NOT mine.  It was a different model and going to someone in Phuket.  The other item, with a value of $6.28, is mine.

I was told today that unless I send them my passport the item will be "abandoned" by Thai customs.  Amazon will not help but they did give me a refund.  Now I have to see if there is a problem with the phone that is mine.  Below is the quoted text from UPS, in perfect English:

"I recivce your solution from my system , You said can not register paperless and Thai customs and can not send original passport to me for register at Suvarnabhum airport .

If you can’t process and can’t do anything , UPS can’t handle next step and you shipment will

abandon by Thai customs next time"

Interesting that UPS wants me to use the post office to send my passport which, of course, I would be crazy to do.

I got the same mess today. I sent a scan of my passport first page to the email address at the bottom. Then the lady called me from the ups office and asked my name. I told her I just emailed her my passport and she said she will call me Monday. Can't wait.

5 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

Thanks, that is what I'm doing now.  My item was from Amazon.  I have made several Amazon orders and they come from multiple shippers.  I don't know of a way to order from Amazon and choose the shipper.

I think next time I'll have Amazon ship to my sister in the USA and she will mail it by USPS.

I had a FedEx delivery the other day from USA for $65 of items (non-electrical) and had to pay import duty on both the value and shipping costs combined. They required 800 baht to release / deliver the package.

I think next time I'll have Amazon ship to my sister in the USA and she will mail it by USPS.
I do this now with my friends...and your sister can write whatever $ value she wants, bearing in mind that if the description is applicable for import duty then they slug you at some horrendous amount approx 40% but can go upto 80% depending on the description.

8 hours ago, bender92 said:

The way that it is supposed to work with amazon is that you pick an item that is eligible for shipment to Thailand.  Amazon then adds the shipping and import to the price.  The are supposed to arrange this with the shipper and they are supposed to take care of it.  But it looks like it doesn't always work.

The best way to ship parcels to thailand is by post

If there is a customs payment required you pay at the local post office

Goods under Baht 1500 are generally not subject to customs duties

Forget any courier's, POST EVERY TIME, you can also use  Track and Sign system, so you can see the status of the parcel online

1 hour ago, HullyGully said:

The best way to ship parcels to thailand is by post

If there is a customs payment required you pay at the local post office

Goods under Baht 1500 are generally not subject to customs duties

Forget any courier's, POST EVERY TIME, you can also use  Track and Sign system, so you can see the status of the parcel online

Unfortunately, Amazon does not give a choice of shippers. You get what they decide.  I have had good luck with DHL, FedEx and even in most cases with UPS.  As I said above, Amazon is "supposed" to handle the customs details through a broker which would probably not work with the post office.

On 5/11/2019 at 4:57 PM, bender92 said:

I got the same mess today. I sent a scan of my passport first page to the email address at the bottom. Then the lady called me from the ups office and asked my name. I told her I just emailed her my passport and she said she will call me Monday. Can't wait.

She did not call Monday so I called her and got nowhere. Today I called the Customs help # 1164 and got an English speaker who was very helpful. She said I can go to Lamchabang and register. I mapped it and went by moto and baht bus. The people there had little English but were very friendly and I managed to get the right lady and she registered me. I had the UPS lady call her for the delivery go ahead, but now UPS said I need to scan my whole passport and email her. I guess she means my Visa. I dont know why that matters but I'm going to find somewhere to scan and see what happens.

3 hours ago, bender92 said:

She did not call Monday so I called her and got nowhere. Today I called the Customs help # 1164 and got an English speaker who was very helpful. She said I can go to Lamchabang and register. I mapped it and went by moto and baht bus. The people there had little English but were very friendly and I managed to get the right lady and she registered me. I had the UPS lady call her for the delivery go ahead, but now UPS said I need to scan my whole passport and email her. I guess she means my Visa. I dont know why that matters but I'm going to find somewhere to scan and see what happens.

What sort of information did Customs require?  Once you register, is it for one import or multiple.? 

I did the email passport thing but then she demanded to also have the actual passport.  Maybe, by you doing the registration yourself, you avoided that step.

15 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

What sort of information did Customs require?  Once you register, is it for one import or multiple.? 

I went yesterday in BKK airport cargo free area office of UPS to sort my import from Amazon out. Nothing to pay besides my time and travel to from the airport. UPS asked me to surrender my passport to them and return 6 hours later to pick it up. They had to go somewhere with it to complete what they told me by email would be an "e-customs system registration" without showing any evidence of wtaf that is? I had to do nothing, sign nothing, got nothing back except my passport 6 hours later and was told the Amazon shipment would now arrive at my home in 2 days. Still waiting. I was also told that now I registered I don't need to worry next time. I don't think there will be a next time and I'll choose Fedex.

The strange thing is I ordered 3 items on Amazon in one go totalling 2000USD. Amazon sent it in two parcels by UPS and UPS let the cheaper parcel straight thro to my home and only held me up on the more expensive item. When I asked about this they didn't know why one went thro unstopped and the other didn't.

2 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

I went yesterday in BKK airport cargo free area office of UPS to sort my import from Amazon out. Nothing to pay besides my time and travel to from the airport. UPS asked me to surrender my passport to them and return 6 hours later to pick it up. They had to go somewhere with it to complete what they told me by email would be an "e-customs system registration" without showing any evidence of wtaf that is? I had to do nothing, sign nothing, got nothing back except my passport 6 hours later and was told the Amazon shipment would now arrive at my home in 2 days. Still waiting. I was also told that now I registered I don't need to worry next time. I don't think there will be a next time and I'll choose Fedex.

The strange thing is I ordered 3 items on Amazon in one go totalling 2000USD. Amazon sent it in two parcels by UPS and UPS let the cheaper parcel straight thro to my home and only held me up on the more expensive item. When I asked about this they didn't know why one went thro unstopped and the other didn't.

In my case they let through a $600 item but held a $6 item.  I know it was a paid for you but in my case, being in Chiang Mai, it would have been impossible.  They did ask me to mail my passport to them which I would never do - just to sketchy for me.  Also, why would UPS ask me to mail via PO, I guess they don' trust themselves.

So are you good now for future shipments?

9 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

but held a $6 item.

In my case UPS suggested the held item might be related to it having a battery in it but they were not not sure. Could yours be held for same reason? I was offered a service by UPS to have messenger pick up my passport from my home which I wasn't keen on. When I left passport at UPS office they gave no receipt for it or name of person who took it - but they seemed OK so I let it go. I would be suspicious of their messengers picking up my passport. I was only expat and customer in their office at time with this issue.

I am still waiting for my held item, its status is still as being scanned in warehouse. I was verbally promised it takes two days to come out. I got no evidence I am clear to go in future besides a verbal agreement and my passport back. I may email them for confirmation in writing asking if I am good to go in future, but will use a shipping agent and Fedex instead I think.

1 hour ago, WorriedNoodle said:

In my case UPS suggested the held item might be related to it having a battery in it but they were not not sure. Could yours be held for same reason? I was offered a service by UPS to have messenger pick up my passport from my home which I wasn't keen on. When I left passport at UPS office they gave no receipt for it or name of person who took it - but they seemed OK so I let it go. I would be suspicious of their messengers picking up my passport. I was only expat and customer in their office at time with this issue.

I am still waiting for my held item, its status is still as being scanned in warehouse. I was verbally promised it takes two days to come out. I got no evidence I am clear to go in future besides a verbal agreement and my passport back. I may email them for confirmation in writing asking if I am good to go in future, but will use a shipping agent and Fedex instead I think.

My held item was a $6.28 foot bandage.

I still what to know if after you filled out you paperwork, will you have to do the paperwork again for any other packages or are you good for the future too?

It was explained to me by customs that anything over 40k baht and you need to do the registration thing. Less than 40k and the carrier can handle it.

In my case this took about 10 min, upstairs at the customs building, just south of the chiang mai airport terminal. The ladies working there were very pleasant and helpful. If I remember correctly the registration lasts one year.

For some reason medical supplies are a problem to import. I haven’t tried, but have heard stories...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 5/15/2019 at 8:47 AM, AAArdvark said:

I still what to know if after you filled out you paperwork, will you have to do the paperwork again for any other packages or are you good for the future too?

No paper at all to fill, they just took my passport and returned it several hours later. Didn't even provide a receipt saying they took my passport. They then told me once was enough, but as YaiJung says above maybe that info given me was doubtful as well.

On 5/14/2019 at 6:39 PM, AAArdvark said:

I did the email passport thing but then she demanded to also have the actual passport.  Maybe, by you doing the registration yourself, you avoided that step.

Customs at Lamchabang looked at my passport and drivers license. They registered me in 5 minutes. It's a one time thing but I have the Customs lady's phone extension for next time. UPS asked for another scan today. I'm waiting for her to call.

Archived