BANGKOK
CangguSurfer

Ed Visa through Hand to Hand Combat School in Chiang Mai

Does anyone have actual 1st hand experience getting Ed Visa from Hand To Hand Combat School in Chiang Mai?  I know for a fact it is on the level; they have the approval of the Thai Education Ministry, and I see their students (in their black school t-shirts) often when I am at IMM office.  It sounds like a pretty good option for long term stay but I'd like to hear from someone who has actually done it.

I currently have a Extension for retirement but am not planning to renew it for various reasons but still need to stay in the Kingdom for 6-12 months after it expires.  My main reason to discontinue my present visa extension is that I want resume working (self-employed) and don't want to hassle with IMM over that

You’re not going to use this new found skill on uppity taxi drivers are you?

• Haha 1

Yes, I currently have an ED visa through Hand2Hand Combat.  I did an Ed visa some years ago studying Thai.  It's great there is the Hand2Hand Combat alternative in CM.  

If you pursue this, go to Hand2Hand Combat directly to sign up for the course.  DO NOT GO through any 3rd party entity.  Hand2Hand staff prepare the documents for you, and are very thorough.  They will explain to you the procedure of going to Vientiane to get the Ed visa. 

In my opinion, the staff at Hand2Hand are great... from the owner, to the course instructors, to the office staff.

• Thanks 1

the course is 34,000 Baht.   

not sure the cost if studying Thai.  My guess would be 20 to 30,000.  

The basic 10 week course consists of 2 2hr lessons on Saturdays and Sundays. Thus there is no recuperation period. Then there are five consecutive no-training days.

Do they have a full range of heavy bags.

Do they focus upon attacking eyes, throat, and genitals?

8 hours ago, OneEyedPie said:

You’re not going to use this new found skill on uppity taxi drivers are you?

LOL...there's a thought.  Thanks for bringing a smile to my face this morning.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jayjay2001 said:

Yes, I currently have an ED visa through Hand2Hand Combat.  I did an Ed visa some years ago studying Thai.  It's great there is the Hand2Hand Combat alternative in CM.  

If you pursue this, go to Hand2Hand Combat directly to sign up for the course.  DO NOT GO through any 3rd party entity.  Hand2Hand staff prepare the documents for you, and are very thorough.  They will explain to you the procedure of going to Vientiane to get the Ed visa. 

In my opinion, the staff at Hand2Hand are great... from the owner, to the course instructors, to the office staff.

Thanks JayJay; just what I was hoping to hear!  How are their English language skills?  I have a slightly unusual visa situation (currently have a "retirement" visa (extension) I need to discuss.  I'm not sure if applying for a ED visa while currently holding a retirement visa will cause problems (i.e.: switching from one type of visa to another, as opposed to just applying without already holding a long-term stay type of visa...if that makes any sense. )  

I have a Thai wife so I'm constantly being shown hand to hand attack techniques and trying to learn hand to hand defensive strategies. I strongly believe this alone should qualify me for preferential visa consideration.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, CangguSurfer said:

Thanks JayJay; just what I was hoping to hear!  How are their English language skills?  I have a slightly unusual visa situation (currently have a "retirement" visa (extension) I need to discuss.  I'm not sure if applying for a ED visa while currently holding a retirement visa will cause problems (i.e.: switching from one type of visa to another, as opposed to just applying without already holding a long-term stay type of visa...if that makes any sense. )  

Their English skills are fine.  About your visa: You'll need to ask them about your transition from retirement visa to Ed visa.  My guess is once you leave the country and go to Laos (without a re-entry permit for your retirement visa), you're retirement visa will become null and void.  Then, you just get the new Ed visa whilst in Vientiane.  But again, just speak with Hand2Hand staff.  It can take them up to about 3 weeks to get your paper work ready to go for Vientiane.  They started writing mine up when I had a Non-B visa (with work permit), and the papers were ready in about 3 weeks time.

By the way, hyku1147 posted above that the classes are on the weekend.  This is true,  but there are also weekday options.

Edited by jayjay2001
grammar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks so much JayJay!  It’s nice to get well-informed and concise replies, which seems to be a rarity on this forum LOL!  MOST APPRECIATED 😃

I expect that once the government discover that you attempting to get an ED visa for unarmed combat  courses, rather than anything educational, you will get the "chop"  😂

18 hours ago, jayjay2001 said:

... I had a Non-B visa (with work permit), ...

Was that a long term visa you had before switching to ED visa?  That’s my main concern; that IMM will frown on a situation where you have already been granted a long term visa, and now want to change to another type.  I have no fact-based reason to believe this would be so, but it just seems like something they might hassle me about.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

I expect that once the government discover that you attempting to get an ED visa for unarmed combat  courses, rather than anything educational, you will get the "chop"  😂

Judging from all the black-shirted students I see at IMM every time I’m there, I doubt that is the case.  They have a very legit reputation, and the owner of the school, being a high ranking ex-military officer, is well-connected with the “powers that be” from what I understand.

Besides that, a course in Krav Mega martial arts hardly disqualifies the school as an educational venue, and they have received certification from the Thai Ministry of Education.

Edited by CangguSurfer

2 minutes ago, CangguSurfer said:

Judging from all the black-shirted students I see at IMM every time I’m there, I doubt that is the case.  They have a very legit reputation, and the owner of the school is well-connected with the “powers that be” from what I understand.

I think you missed the humour in my post. To many blows to the head perhaps ?

7 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

I think you missed the humour in my post. To many blows to the head perhaps ?

LOL...OK, fair enough. 😃. I admit, I thought you were playing “devil’s advocate”.  Guess you’re right; too many blows to the head....hahaha!

• Like 1