Ed Visa through Hand to Hand Combat School in Chiang Mai

CangguSurfer

15 hours ago, CangguSurfer said:

As for ED visa for learning languages, Thai IMM has (as usual) an arbitrary (IMHO) restriction that you now must be under 50 years old to get one, otherwise I'd consider it, as I'd like to learn to really speak the Thai language well. ????

Another thing I find funny is that Hand to Hand combat is essentially an education visa of a physical nature whereas learning Thai is an education visa of a mental nature.

So shouldn't the physical nature be less suited for the elderly?

After all, we have many presidents in the world that is well above the age of 60 and are functioning well in the mental department.

15 hours ago, CangguSurfer said:

As for ED visa for learning languages, Thai IMM has (as usual) an arbitrary (IMHO) restriction that you now must be under 50 years old to get one, otherwise I'd consider it, as I'd like to learn to really speak the Thai language well. ????

I don't see this "under 50" restriction for the ED visa anywhere on the Internet, e.g., language school websites offering the visa, Thai embassies/consulates in other countries (e.g., Cambodia, Vietnam, Hong Kong). Do you have a web link or any documentation that shows this age restriction?

On 5/22/2019 at 7:59 AM, jayjay2001 said:

I don't see this "under 50" restriction for the ED visa anywhere on the Internet, e.g., language school websites offering the visa, Thai embassies/consulates in other countries (e.g., Cambodia, Vietnam, Hong Kong). Do you have a web link or any documentation that shows this age restriction?

I made a mistake; the maximum age to apply for an ED Visa to participate in a language program is now 55 years old due to the regulations related to the issuance of Non Immigrant Education visa that went into effect March 31, 2015 per the request of Chiang Mai Immigration.

http://www.learnthaicmu.com/?page=1-year-thai

This link is from Chiang Mai University Centre for Thai Studies, so other language schools not mentioning this are probably not being upfront, and of course trying to verify this information on IMM's website is next to impossible (what else is new LOL), but since CMU verified it with me in person, I assume it's true.

This could be another example of Chiang Mai IMM making up there own rules (what else is new?), but I think it probably applies throughout the Kingdom.

On 5/21/2019 at 7:17 PM, EricTh said:

They have all sorts of illogical rules. I didn't know there's a restriction of age for having an ed visa.

Anyway, Hand to Hand combat seems good. The only downside is it is more expensive and it only works for one year. You cannot extend more than 1 or 2 years, I think.

Yes, there is an age restriction for ED Visas for language programs, that went into effect March 31, 2015.  See my post directly above.

Actually, you can extend the ED visa for Hand2Hand at least for one additional year, and I've read anecdotal accounts of people being able to extend even more.  Remember the owner of the school is a high ranking military official who's very well connected...Need I say more? ????

56 minutes ago, CangguSurfer said:

This link is from Chiang Mai University Centre for Thai Studies, so other language schools not mentioning this are probably not being upfront, and of course trying to verify this information on IMM's website is next to impossible (what else is new LOL), but since CMU verified it with me in person, I assume it's true.

Thanks for your response.

3 hours ago, jayjay2001 said:

Thanks for your response.

Well Thank you for you helpful feedback as an actual student!  I still haven't decided 100% to go this route, but I'm pretty sure I probably will.  

Just curious, do you actually feel you are getting anything useful out of the course, beyond the visa?  As a form of martial arts, Krav Mega is quite impressive.  Does the school offer a serious form of it?  What if you're really into it and want to train more in-depth; how many days a week do they work out?

2 hours ago, CangguSurfer said:

Just curious, do you actually feel you are getting anything useful out of the course, beyond the visa? 

Some of the training could be useful in an actual situation; but, to really get adept and confident at what is taught, in my opinion, it would take more than a year of training at this level.  Besides what I just said, I do find it useful to get in some stretching and exercise on the days I go to class.

As a form of martial arts, Krav Mega is quite impressive.  Does the school offer a serious form of it? 

Definitely not.  They teach some basic self-defense stuff for punches, kicks, holds, knives, guns, sticks.

What if you're really into it and want to train more in-depth; how many days a week do they work out?

I would suggest to go to a place like Core Combat in CM.  Just google them.  I like their Filipino martial arts classes.  Sakan (English is his first language) teaches the Filipino martial arts and he's a great instructor.  Best to take private lessons, though, if you can afford it and are serious about it.

• 2 months later...

EXPERIENCES AT VIENTIANE CONSULATE LATELY in regard to applying for ED VISA from HAND-TO-HAND COMBAT?

So, I am in the process of getting ED Visa from Hand-To-Hand.  Currently waiting for Ministry of Education approval, and then plan to head to Vientiane Laos consulate to submit application by end of September (when my current visa expires.

I've been reading a lot of negative experiences at the Vientiane Consulate (people being denied Visas) even with proper paperwork.  I'm being very careful to have all documentation I might need (including bank statements from my Thai Bank and also my US bank, even an outbound ticket at the end of the "school year").

I'm just wondering if anyone has applied for an ED visa for H2H Combat lately at Vientiane, and what your experiences were.

5 minutes ago, CangguSurfer said:

I'm just wondering if anyone has applied for an ED visa for H2H Combat lately at Vientiane, and what your experiences were.

Since you are talking to H2H directly why not ask them for references re your question? They must know who has tried recently and should be willing to put you in touch.

33 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Since you are talking to H2H directly why not ask them for references re your question? They must know who has tried recently and should be willing to put you in touch.

Well I have talked with them but not getting clear answers due to language barrier (or maybe they just don't want to say), so hoping somebody on here can help with their own experiences at Vientiane lately.  It sounds like things are changing there lately and so I'm just trying to get a handle on what to expect from people who have actually been through the process at the Consulate (and also at airport/land crossings).

Some of the things I've heard lately are hard to interpret.  For instance,

• UPDATE 6.8: for Tourist Visa, Consular Officer will review your visa history and in case you have a history of previous Tourist visa your application will be denied. In some cases Vientiane is asking for proof of funds, Book Bank with balance THB 20,000.- up OR print out from your Bank account from home country value USD 700.-up. Onward air ticket is not required.
  • Non ED (only one in one year & cover letter must only indicate your specific level & show bank balance THB 20,000.-), Non O Single Entry (but no retirement) if married to Thai or support Thai Child (no back to back application accepted anymore, in some cases Show money THB 200,000 (USD 6472)- in Thai Bank Account).

I don't know what this means "history of previous tourist visa"...Since "visa" is written as singular, not plural, does this mean "one previous visa"?? Does it pertain only to another tourist visa, or could it be grounds for denying the ED Visa?

I don't know if financial requirement is for 20,000 baht in a THAI bank account or if it can be in a US bank account?  200,000 baht, I assume refers only to "married/support Thai child, but cold it also be for ED Visa? 

Kind of hard to interpret the way these things are written, and both things do not show up on the Vientiane Consulate website.

Bottom line, I just want to minimize change of a screw-up at the Consulate.

On 5/25/2019 at 10:23 AM, CangguSurfer said:

Yes, there is an age restriction for ED Visas for language programs, that went into effect March 31, 2015.  See my post directly above.

Actually, you can extend the ED visa for Hand2Hand at least for one additional year, and I've read anecdotal accounts of people being able to extend even more.  Remember the owner of the school is a high ranking military official who's very well connected...Need I say more? ????

You can get two visas per passport. For example, four years would cost you two passports.

17 hours ago, dcnx said:

You can get two visas per passport. For example, four years would cost you two passports.

Sorry, I don't follow your rationale.  Why would you need two passports?  The school has a successful history of students receiving two or more visa extensions, so no need for that.  Furthermore, I'm assuming you suggest getting a new passport to hide previous visa, but that history would still be on Immigration's computer database, so I don;t see how that strategy would really help.  But, maybe I'm wrong.  Explain if I am, please.

21 hours ago, CangguSurfer said:

Sorry, I don't follow your rationale.  Why would you need two passports?  The school has a successful history of students receiving two or more visa extensions, so no need for that.  Furthermore, I'm assuming you suggest getting a new passport to hide previous visa, but that history would still be on Immigration's computer database, so I don;t see how that strategy would really help.  But, maybe I'm wrong.  Explain if I am, please.

You can get two back to back visas with them. That’s two years. If you want more you have to get a new passport and repeat the process. 

That’s their way of doing it. The left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing here so I’m guessing that’s how it all works.

Seems like a school set-up to take advantage of people's visa needs. I wonder how many students are really interested in self defence if it weren't the the visa being offered. I suspect very few would go here and would go elsewhere for those who are genuinely interested.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2019 at 5:41 AM, stament said:

Seems like a school set-up to take advantage of people's visa needs. I wonder how many students are really interested in self defence if it weren't the the visa being offered. I suspect very few would go here and would go elsewhere for those who are genuinely interested.

I don't think anyone is under the false impression that this is not so.  Probably the same is true for most who elect a language school.  All that matters is that it is sanctioned by the Ministry of Education (which it is).

Archived