Foreigner killed by drunk Thai on first day back in Thai wife's village

webfact

They said he was not only drunk but speeding. 

He has (d) been detained. ??? Depends on his job, of course. 

It's saddening how many people here get killed and/or injured. RIP and a speedy recovery for the poor woman. 

2 hours ago, alanrchase said:

The locals in my area don't seem too concerned about being rear ended as about 50% of them have no rear lights.

And around Kut Khaopun only 20% of bikes have some kind of rear light in the dark. 

I'm always scared to collude and kill the rider(s) when blinded by oncoming traffic that give me little room at my side of the road. 

Then cannot prove that the smashed rearlight was off.... 

Farang must bear all the consequences. 

A post in violation of the following has been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not Thaivisa.com
In rare cases, forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.

An inflammatory post has been removed. 

1 hour ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Only in La la land........ You couldn't make this S^%T up....... 500 bht and thirty wais........ 

Not only in La la land.  I know a guy who was drunk in Falangland and killed a poor innocent and severely injured a second.  He's serving nearly five years and has to complete the entire sentence.  He'll be enjoying his prison lunch within the next hour unlike his dead victim.  

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Police said that Thanet registered as having 220 mg of blood in his system, several times over the limit.

Wow , How much blood is allowed than ? I have much more in my ' system ' ! I am illegal ...!

6 hours ago, Mavideol said:

before posting should revised spelling and content to avoid misunderstandings,,,,one can not live with 220mg of blood in the system, I am sure it means 220mg of alcohol in the blood

… or they meant the deceased ...

RIP

10 hours ago, darksidedog said:

The message needs to go out that if you drive in that condition, the consequences will be a very, very long time in jail. Until this happens the drink driving death rate will remain pretty constant.

Sadly, life is not considered something important enough to make people change their own behavior for the benefit of others. Thais don't think about the future (so threats of jail time don't resonate), and whatever happens to them is their fate, not a consequence of anything they did, so if they get drunk and kill a few people and then go to prison, then it was all pre-determined long ago that this is their destiny because they did something bad in a previous life. Good luck changing that! Condolences to the family of the Omani man and his wife, it's beyond tragic.

11 hours ago, darksidedog said:

As with every unnecessary death, very sad. The drunken idiot is a prime candidate for a murder charge, which I hope the police will actually hit him with. 220mg isn't drunk, rather paralytic. The message needs to go out that if you drive in that condition, the consequences will be a very, very long time in jail. Until this happens the drink driving death rate will remain pretty constant.

I'd agree wholeheartedly, except it says that...  "Police said that Thanet registered as having 220 mg of blood in his system, several times over the limit". No mention of alcohol....

17 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

RIP to the poor guy.

After many years working in the Middle East, I think Omanis are the friendliest people that you can meet in that part of the world.

It is the only state in the the gulf region that I have any interest in visiting.

Your post has further encouraged me.

• 5 months later...

i am never out on my bike at night, its dam bad enough in the daytime, rip, can bet a million baht Thais will be out on Jomtien beach Sunday, (well EVERY weekend realy) drinking all day, all <deleted> up, then drive home, i wonder if the cops will be out in Jomtiem then, was going to say keep ya posted, but i know the answer already, not a cop to be seen on Sunday, cop car drives up and down beach road, with its flashing lights on, (what for)? never seen him stop anyone, and every weekend i see a kid no more than 12, riding a motorbike and sidecar, with all his mates piled into it.

Such as shame, another life lost to a drunken fool. Surprised there were none last night on jomtien beach road with all the thais getting drunk next to the road and blocking most of one side of the road with their double parking on the road. Police there but as normal blind eye to there own race

On 5/9/2019 at 2:21 PM, alanrchase said:

The locals in my area don't seem too concerned about being rear ended as about 50% of them have no rear lights.

if there are no rear lights, there is no target to go for.
Simple !

may the killed person RiP, and the Thai lady recover and have strength to cope.

Archived