33 injured after Biman Air flight skids off Yangon Airport runway

webfact

33 injured after Biman Air flight skids off Yangon Airport runway

By The Thaiger

Screen-Shot-2019-05-09-at-08.57.27.jpg

A Biman Air aircraft has skidded off the runway in Yangon, Myanmar and broken into pieces. The Biman Airlines flight was carrying a reported 33 people. Four people have been injured in the crash. Biman is the flag carrier of Bangladesh.

At least five women and 12 men were being taken by ambulance to North Okkalapa Hospital at around 9pm last night.

The Bombardier Dash 8 Q400 aircraft took off from Bangladesh’s Dhaka-Srahjalal International Airport late yesterday afternoon before a bumpy landing at Yangon International Airport.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/regional/33-injured-after-biman-air-flight-skids-off-yangon-airport-runway

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-05-09

Oh Bimin....by far the worst airline I have ever flown.  Bkk to Kathmandu with an overnight in Dhaka.  I figured why not see a new country and get a new stamp in my passport.  Oh was I wrong.  First the flight.  Bkk to Dhaka was not that terrible except the cold food and the smell on the plane.  Then we land.  They tell us nothing other then to wait in some area of the airport.  They then took all of our passports and made us wait another 2 hours.  I was not happy about giving up my passport and being held in this dirty room but it seemed like we had no choice.  Then they brought us out to mini buses and brought us to a hotel randomly picking out roommates.  I was with some Japanese guy.  Then they ordered us not to leave our rooms because we were not stamped into Bangladesh.  They literally had guards outside our rooms.  I tried to go out and they yelled at me.  All I saw of Bangladesh was a view out of our balcony.  Next morning a breakfast was a hard boiled egg and toast.  Back to the airport and everyone was in a shit mood.  They gave us our passports and we boarded.  Now this flight was shocking.  In came a lot of locals who had obviously never been on a plane before.  It was interesting at first watching their wide eyed stares and inability to figure out their seats nor operate a seat belt.  Then I saw something that widened my eyes!  The guy across from me started pulling back the pouch on the back of the seat in front of him and started spitting his red betal nut juice into it.  Oh my!!  And it only got better.  The plane was brown and dirty on the inside and after take off a giant cockroach that sat for about a half hour on the bulkhead.  Cockroaches on an international flight!  I was starving and excited to eat and of course one side of my tray was detached so I had to use one knee to hold up one side to try to keep the tray flat.  The stewardess were all overweight in underwhelming saris barking at all the locals.  The whole experience was unreal.  We landed, got to Thamel and first thing I did was book a one way flight back to Bangkok on Thai air.  Beware of Biman Air

I remember flying Bangladesh Biman Airways, BKK to Rangoon, then to Dacca for a freeby 2 night stay in a hotel, then onward bound to Kathmandu.. Yes it was the cheapest carrier but for a reason.. And a bonus 2 night stay over in Bangladesh, why not..

BKK to Rangoon (now Yangon) was OK and a 10 night stay there, and the flight was fairly uneventful, but the flight to Dacca was a nightmare..

On arrival the plane bounced up and down on the runway on approach to Dacca.. Many locals were chanting Allah, Allah on landing expecting maybe a disaster in the happening.. But we arrived safely.. Then a small bus took a group of us to an overnight hotel, stopping at about 4 different ones on the way in the early hours of the morning until they found one that would accept our group. I later found out that Biman don't like paying their bills hence the reluctance of some hotels to accept their arrivals.. Finally at about 1 30am a hotel accepted our group, maybe 10x of us.. The hotel was a breeding  ground of cockroaches.. And the hotel kitchen was so unsanitary with mould on the walls that I was very reluctant to accept the free breakfast of toast and eggs.. Many wanted to change hotel the next day, but other choices around were less appealing so back we all came.. 

Then the flight to Kathmandu was a disaster.. Our plane was denied landing.. We were told our plane couldn't safely land due to weather conditions and returned to Dacca.. Luckily some of us were lucky to be able to change our flight to a Nepal Airlines flight leaving a few hours later at no additional charge.. Others were stranded for another night in Bangladesh ????????.. 

Never ever again, will I fly Biman.. ???? 

I flew Biman a lot during the 80's. It was the go to cheapie airline from LHR to BKK at a time when safety and 'customer satisfaction' was not considered a high priority.

They used an old 707 on the Dhaka/Rangoon/Bkk route and one flight on the Dhaka/Rangoon sector had me scared for the first and only time on any flight. It was shaking about and I was just desperate for the plane to land with no drama.

Another time was landing at Mumbai when it was so close to running off the end of the runway when landing. It had to do a 3 point turn to get to the terminal. 

I also recall that the Gents at Dhaka airport had an interesting feature. Large clear windows were next to the urinals giving a clear view, for those walking outside on the balcony area, of those going about their 'business'.

It also provided the saddest experience when I was sat beside a Burmese guy heading to Rangoon. He had been working as a travelling salesman in Scotland for about 25 years and this was his first trip back home. He only had a 7 day visa and it would take a couple of days to travel home. So would only have 2/3 days to see family members after all that time.

As for the cockroach story - shared a meal with one on Egypt Air when flying Cai/Lhr business class. We both thought the food was carp!! 

That's what I was expecting on Lao Airlines about eight years ago.  I was scared shitless [my wife was fine with it though she's Thai].  All sorts of weird manoeuvres on take off and landing.  

Seriously, never again.  

Archived