New rugby league for northern Thailand – The Lanna Rugby Tens League

webfact

New rugby league for northern Thailand – The Lanna Rugby Tens League

By The Thaiger

Lanna-Lions-Rugby-Club-1-960x640.jpg

With the expansion of rugby in Asia, often the drivers are still individuals at grassroots levels who are making a massive impact. In northern Thailand, Tom Stubley and the newly formed Lanna Rugby Club, in cooperation with others in the region, are forming a new tens rugby union league called the Lanna Rugby Tens League due to start in June 2019.

“Over a year ago, back in November 2017 I discovered that there was a rugby team in Chiang Mai known as the Chiang Mai Tigers. They entered tournaments in the Thai winter months between November and February,” says Tom.

“However, the tournaments only lasted a day or two. Almost as soon after the tournament had finished myself and an acquaintance at the time, Ian, saw the lack of organised sport and discussed the possible idea of turning rugby into the ‘IT’ sport of the north of Thailand.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/chiang-mai/new-rugby-league-for-northern-thailand-the-lanna-rugby-tens-league

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-05-09

Excellent initiative. Played for England at age grade level & at Prems in NZ, and it is a shame that it's so hard to find a decent game of footy in Thailand as i would love to get involved.

In BKK they have the Universities playing at a decent level, but outside of that it's a dead duck

Archived