Filthy dirty Pattaya beach - tourists blamed for the mess

webfact

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

During my research of Beach Cleaning machines and contacting with manufacturers, I found out Federal Thai government buys them for National parks where almost no tourists visit.   But high density commercial areas like Pattaya fall to local government......

Suggest people concerned might make a little more noise by passing that link around rather than barking about who puts trash on the beach, it has videos of beach cleaners in action.

Trash is a reality and there are easier ways to deal with it than barking about who put it there.....

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

It is tourists.....Thai tourists. I used to jog along Bam Amphur beach daily and on the weekends and holidays it was just masses of Thai tourists sat under trees cooking and throwing their rubbish everywhere. All the bins were overflowing, but there was no thought of taking their plastic back home with them. The few farang were sat under the organised beach umbrellas or laying on the loungers provided. Not a spec of rubbish in that area. Also, a lot of that rubbish in the photo comes in with the tide from the passing boats. Mostly Thai I should think.

Possibly a few Chinese - though being the favourites I'm sure they should never be blamed.

Looking around my local area - at least 80km from the beach - going into other soi's and seeing green stretches - I'm shocked at the out-of-the way places these tourists and foreigners must be going to pile up their rubbish.

Just now, UncleE said:

Suggest people concerned might make a little more noise by passing that link around rather than barking about who puts trash on the beach, it has videos of beach cleaners in action.

Trash is a reality and there are easier ways to deal with it than barking about who put it there.....

Barking is the Thai Way. They just see something in front of them and shout loudly about it - ignoring a thousand real problems in the process.

The only way that any real 'policing' can be done is by lining their pockets with heavy fines. Does anyone remember the 'smoking' police that used to camp outside places like Hualumpong/Central Bangna? I once had a 20 minute delay after finishing a smoke and putting the filter down a nearby drain...

10 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

Thais don't pick up rubbish to keep their own country clean. Just blame the hand that feeds you!

Why do you think we expats feed Thailand? Do you not understand you are insignificant here and you are insignificant on the planet. Or are you still living in the superiority of the white colonization race?  You are not that important my friend and never really have been. Neither am I or any race on this planet but especially the westerner in Thailand today. Not personal but just the truth. They don’t need dollars, Euros, British pound anymore. You can be obsolete soon and then what will you do? Called evolution and change based on time and circumstances. 

If I was thai I would request our Thai government choose the Chinese path and evict all expats living here that public criticize the Thai people and Thai government. Criticism is a western idea that is not welcome in Asia culture or government and is IMO useless here. Go home if you are unhappy with your guest status the same as you would Go home at a dinner party in the west if the host did not like you or you did not like the host. You are an invited guest nothing more and nothing less.  You are not the savor of Thailand. They don’t really need you anymore and neither does Asia IMO. Be polite, respectful or go home just like you would at anyone’s home. Thailand  is not your home or birth country. They owe you nothing.  You are a visitor. Nothing more that a guest who can be easily asked to leave. 

1 hour ago, Wake Up said:

Criticism is a western idea that is not welcome in Asia culture or government and is IMO useless here.

I guess that's why mine and the wife's endless criticism has given our families business a huge competitive edge with lots of forward planning. Our ass kicking has also saved huge chunks of land and cash ending up on the card table.

We both came back to Thailand from Europe to stop a useless second generation wasting family money and get business moving with new ideas.

Fortunately I have mongrel status here so they cant kick me out.

2 hours ago, Wake Up said:

If I was thai I would request our Thai government choose the Chinese path and evict all expats living here that public criticize the Thai people and Thai government. Criticism is a western idea that is not welcome in Asia culture or government and is IMO useless here. Go home if you are unhappy with your guest status the same as you would Go home at a dinner party in the west if the host did not like you or you did not like the host. You are an invited guest nothing more and nothing less.  You are not the savor of Thailand. They don’t really need you anymore and neither does Asia IMO. Be polite, respectful or go home just like you would at anyone’s home. Thailand  is not your home or birth country. They owe you nothing.  You are a visitor. Nothing more that a guest who can be easily asked to leave. 

How aware are the Thais that westerners publicly (for good reason)  criticize them? 

1 hour ago, Fruit Trader said:

I guess that's why mine and the wife's endless criticism has given our families business a huge competitive edge with lots of forward planning. Our ass kicking has also saved huge chunks of land and cash ending up on the card table.

We both came back to Thailand from Europe to stop a useless second generation wasting family money and get business moving with new ideas.

Fortunately I have mongrel status here so they cant kick me out.

Yes and you could go on to say that without the Western engineers who are responsible for the bridges, skytrains, and subways as well as all the FDI manufacturing exports sectors that Thailand would be a basket case country/economy. So they want to put all their eggs in the Chinese basket - we will see how that works out. 

18 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Anyone who runs a service business knows that part of the duty involves cleaning up. Beach resorts should operate an evening clean up.

Careful now, criticism is not welcome here. 

My opinion is many APAC countries citizen don’t realize the importance of proper trash disposal. Many Americans didn’t 

know the importance.

Teach children at a young age not to litter. There’s always the second option that’s effective....

For example, in California the punishment for first-time littering starts at a $100 fine and eight hours of picking up roadside litter. A defendant's third offense and all subsequent offenses are punished with a minimum penalty of a $750 fine and 24 hours of litter cleanup (per offense).

14 hours ago, z42 said:

Ahh not seen one of these for about 2 weeks. And by tourists she must mean only the white ones ????????

You are right. Because of the corrupt media in the USA, which is also seen in much of the western world, there is a global anti-white racist mentality in different places around the world. In Asia, China's new wealth, military strength, good memory (Brit opium wars), internal demographic imbalance, and large population, makes them the current favorites over white farangs. That won't last forever, but it will be there for a while.

That written, the trash on the beach sucks, no matter who they are pointing at. The simplest, and most economic, solution is for Pattaya to have more garbage cans within walking distance of where tourists hang out by the water.

15 hours ago, PatOngo said:

A total ban on tourists (and families) to the world class resort is in order. No Tourists...No Mess! Close Pattaya for 2 years like they did at Maya Bay in Phuket, that will solve the problem. As a matter of fact, why not shut all of Thailand off to tourists, make it the pristine clean country they try SO hard to achieve. Damn tourists!

Yep, ban the tourists.  That will get rid of the trash problem from tourists.  President Junior Bush had a similar idea about preventing forest fires in the USA national forests.  He wanted to allow unlimited foresting to cut down all the trees.  That will eliminate the tree fires! 

Disgusting. Why do expats choose to live at Pattaya when it's beach and all other beaches along that coastline are seriously unhealthy, contaminated cesspools? Oh yeah, that's right.... I just remembered ????

18 hours ago, PatOngo said:

After much discussion and soul searching amongst the local authorities, a solution has been found!

Untitled4.jpg

Are they tourists? Look and acting more like politicians to me!

Following on the original posting it seems that the pot is calling the kettle black. ????

Tourist's litter does not create "horrible black water".  Raw untreated sewerage and untreated illegal drains from local businesses does.

Lots of whining about tourists? - The best answer has already been posted - do a "Maya Bay" number on Pattaya.  Lock the tourists out!

THEN the locals might see where the shit comes from and flows to - If they can afford to stay there - - - - - - -

15 hours ago, neilyboy said:

What a lot of rubbish. this lady has rubbish coming from her mouth i would love to see around her house, the only people i ever see clean the beach are tourists never Thais , most of it comes from the rivers and streams which flows to the sea ,i have watched fishermen down near Bang Chang throw all there rubbish on the beach.

I once went on the Cat to Koh Tao, at one point I thought we were approaching an Island or sand bar but it was simply a large floating area of dumped trash out there in the middle of the sea. I am unsure if it had drifted from land so far holding together, but I thought more likely from a trash barge. 

20 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

But ok for Thais to sit on the beach, pick their noses flicking "bogies" everywhere and spitting large lumps of phlegm everywhere on the sand is ok, 'cos its a Thai tradition !!!

It's the hub of.......

(fill in blank) 

Archived