Video: Who's to blame? CCTV shows what led to horrifying death of Chaiyaphum schoolgirl

webfact

I am in complete disagreement with most people. The cement truck made the turn while the road was not clear. The motorcycle had 100% the right of way. But as usual, the big truck takes the right of way. The cement truck should not have made the turn until the way was clear or all traffic had stopped allowing it to safely proceed. 

12 hours ago, Spidey said:

To me it looked as though she did but was unable to stop. Possibly a genuine case of brake failure. If the engine starts, Thais don't bother with maintenance. The engine is the only necessary piece of equipment on a bike.

Whether 2 or 4 wheels if you use the rear brakes only with force the rear may/will come come round, that is what I see in the vid.

4 wheel stuff has a bias valve to stop this happening..

3 hours ago, Ulic said:

I am in complete disagreement with most people. The cement truck made the turn while the road was not clear. The motorcycle had 100% the right of way. But as usual, the big truck takes the right of way. The cement truck should not have made the turn until the way was clear or all traffic had stopped allowing it to safely proceed. 

Hopefully you will never drive a two wheeler in Thailand.

Please don't!

Motorbikes undertaking at speed is a constant fear when driving here.kids legs sticking out, sitting side saddle. had one undertake me while i was indicating to turn left into narrow road ,she hit my partly turned left wheel she regained control stopped, i stopped got out to inspect for damage then she zoomed off. could have been fatal.

On 5/9/2019 at 11:40 AM, petermik said:

A turn across oncoming traffic should not be attempted unless you can see the road is clear enough to complete the maneuver.....so in this case the cement mixer is partly at fault....however the driver is moving slowly and cautiously as a warning to other road users,some who have clearly given way to allow him to complete....the motorcyclist is clearly oblivious to this and is not looking where she is going.....if she were she would have slowed down and yielded to the cement truck and thus averted this tragic outcome.......90% motorcyclist fault 10% cement driver.....:sad:

I disagree.  The truck driver was following the rules of the Thai roads and was clearly manoeuvring slowly and with due regard to the other traffic, which had given way to him. In Thai terms, using a U turn, he is not at any fault.  The lady on the motorbike was reckless in the extreme. 

On 5/10/2019 at 12:06 AM, Ulic said:

The cement truck should not have made the turn until the way was clear or all traffic had stopped allowing it to safely proceed.

All traffic had stopped, then 'auntie' came along, rest is history.....

On 5/9/2019 at 3:21 AM, transam said:
On 5/9/2019 at 3:04 AM, Tropposurfer said:

Poor young child ... her life gone because of what and for what!?

Lack of thought. Lack of tuition. Lack of police pointing road users where they are going wrong...

Lack of money to buy a 4 wheeled vehicle...

On 5/9/2019 at 11:40 AM, petermik said:

A turn across oncoming traffic should not be attempted unless you can see the road is clear enough to complete the maneuver.....so in this case the cement mixer is partly at fault....however the driver is moving slowly and cautiously as a warning to other road users,some who have clearly given way to allow him to complete....the motorcyclist is clearly oblivious to this and is not looking where she is going.....if she were she would have slowed down and yielded to the cement truck and thus averted this tragic outcome.......90% motorcyclist fault 10% cement driver.....:sad:

Nonsense.  100 percent the fault of the aunt.  Full stop.

On 5/9/2019 at 7:32 PM, Spidey said:

To me it looked as though she did but was unable to stop. Possibly a genuine case of brake failure. If the engine starts, Thais don't bother with maintenance. The engine is the only necessary piece of equipment on a bike.

A genuine case of brake failure is exceptionally rare, plenty of cases of poor or non existent maintenance of said brakes though.

Archived