How to get rid of nesting Mynah birds?

jak2002003

14 hours ago, mogandave said:

What I think is hilarious is that the previous poster actually believes the guy talking to the cat thinks the cat is understands and is answering him....

It’s like the guy that goes to a magic show and afterwards complains that it was all “tricks”, as if he was really going to magic in a tent at the backend of a carnival lot.

Hey, that girl didn’t really turn into a gorilla, I say her smoking a joint behind the tent with the gorilla! I don’t even think the gorilla was real, it had a man’s head!

so you don't understand and make fun of me, <deleted>!

<deleted>

10 hours ago, potless said:

Try one of those long blue bazooka water guns that turn up every songkran. Or, if possible, get the area meshed off.

Bought a toy cobra snake yesterday.  I went up the ladder and cleared off all the nesting material and cleaned the wall (they messed it up a lot).  Installed the snake.

No sign of the birds the rest of that day.

This morning we awoke to squawking and screaming birds.  As I suspected the mynah bird pair had bought along some support from a few other mynah birds and a half a dozen sparrows.  What a noise!  After I chased them off a few times (did not want them to realise it was a fake snake), they have gone.  Been gone a few hours now.  

Keeping fingers crossed they don't figure out we are tricking them!  The shop guy told me to move the snake to new position every few days so they don't get used to it... and hang it up with fishing wire to it moves about a bit.

I can't mesh off the area... its a very long narrow shelf that runs around 2 sides of the patio celling and its a large area.  

Since Terry will offend and be removed very shortly to protect delicate members here is a motion sensor snake that will do just as well. Move it around and the birds will soon give up.

image.jpeg.1056588a66fc8fd66499ffcd99a89157.jpeg

On 5/10/2019 at 12:02 PM, jak2002003 said:

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am going to try the toy snakes first.  

I think that might attract them though... as when snakes are about in the garden all the birds flock to see it and make a lot of noise attacking it.. which attracts more birds.

I would prefer the plastic owl.  Think that might scare them off more.  But have never seen one for sale.

Shame I can not rent a hawk or real owl to come and eat the 2 birds and be done with it.

Plastic animals will not work. After a while they will simply ignore them or even attack them. If it's your property, shoot or harm them physically.

Spikes worked for us, perhaps you need to arrange them in a way that really makes it impossible for them to build a nest. I also used a Songkran-style water gun, put some irritant in the water.

In stores like Daiso they sell repellants for various animals including birds, I don't have experience with that though.

On 5/9/2019 at 1:53 PM, jumbo said:

So why put the snakes there in the first place????

How would he find out that they don't work for keeping the birds away if he never tried it in the first place?

On 5/9/2019 at 12:33 PM, jumbo said:

buy a few rubber or plastic snakes and put them around the patio, birds will stay away

Does not work with pigeons, so why should it work with mynah birds?

On 5/9/2019 at 2:08 PM, colinneil said:

I didnt put them there Thai workers did.

I wish i could change their positions, but impossible for me to get up there.

It wouldn't help anyway Colin.

put some toilet block in the nest if no young ones if eggs take away 

but realy let them finish and remove all the nest   if u retired u have something to do clean sticks and bird muck not that hard i am sure 

16 minutes ago, mikecha said:

put some toilet block in the nest if no young ones if eggs take away 

but realy let them finish and remove all the nest   if u retired u have something to do clean sticks and bird muck not that hard i am sure 

It's fine now.  They have gone.  No sign of them for the last few days.   I tried to let them 'finish' but they never can, because as I said in my first post, the nest keeps falling down as quick as they make it as the ledge is too narrow to support it.  I mean all the stuff they pile on there falls off EVERY DAY, even as they are adding more.  They are so dumb.  Not given up in over a year!!!!  

It's dangerous for me to clean up their mess... because the nest is about 3 and half meters off the ground and I have to go up and down tall ladders to get to it to clean the wall.  It's not hard to sweep up the fallen sticks... but doing that 2 times a day every single day for a year starts to get irritating and annoying (and it's not just a small amount of sticks like from a dove or sparrow nest).  Plus all the dead dried up birds, feathers and plastic bags keep blowing all over the garden and into the pool.

All those saying the toy animals don't work..... they have in this case.  I am going to make sure I keep moving the plastic snakes into a new position once a week for a while just to make sure.  

At the moment its so nice not to have the birds waking us up in the morning, pooping all over the patio furniture, and making such a mess with the nesting attempts.  

Archived