Dengue fever alert after 27 deaths

webfact

Dengue fever alert after 27 deaths

By The Nation

5a237c93f02fad382f0411207d859e30.jpeg

Twenty-seven people have died from dengue hemorrhagic fever in Thailand so far this year, the highest fatality rate for the same time period in the past five years.

In response, Public Health Ministry deputy permanent secretary Dr Supakit Sirilak has recently sent an urgent letter to related agencies to prepare measures to prevent more dengue fever deaths. 

It was estimated there would be about 10,000 new cases of dengue fever a month or about 95,000 dengue fever patients nationwide for the whole of this year, Supakit warned in the letter attached with a guideline for patients. 

According to the Bureau of Epidemiology, 18,000 people were infected with the dengue fever virus from January 1 to May 1 this year, and 27 of them, including 12 children, had died.

The letter was sent to heads of the Department of Medical Services, Department of Health Service Support, provincial public health offices, Bangkok Metropolitan Administration's Health Office, Private Hospital Association Thailand, royal colleges of physicians, Pediatric Infectious Disease Society of Thailand, and the Infectious Disease Association of Thailand.

Department of Disease Control director-general Dr Suwannachai Wattanayingcharoenchai said the mosquito-borne infection caused a sudden high fever for 2-5 days along with severe headaches and pain of eye sockets and joint/muscle, loss of appetite, vomiting, coughing without running nose, skin rash, and bleeding from gum. 

It also could lead to a shock episode, failure of the blood circulatory system, kidney and liver failure, and even death, he said. 

Factors that posed more risks to severe or fatal dengue fever symptoms were the patients' pre-existing chronic ailments such as diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure, heart disease, asthma, alcoholism, thalassemia or a previous history of having dengue fever, he added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30369087

thenation_logo.jpg

16 minutes ago, webfact said:

It was estimated there would be about 10,000 new cases of dengue fever a month or about 95,000 dengue fever patients nationwide for the whole of this year,

When I went to school, albeit a long time ago, 10,00 cases per month for 12 months would equate to 120,000 cases per year, not 95,000 cases.....maybe the missing 25,000 are road fatalities!

2 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

When I went to school, albeit a long time ago, 10,00 cases per month for 12 months would equate to 120,000 cases per year, not 95,000 cases.....maybe the missing 25,000 are road fatalities!

Would that be died where bitten or died later in hospital?

11 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

warning after 27die? Who decides on how many die before a warning is issued? One death should be more than enough to do something about prevention.

That's about how many dies in 12 hours/day in the traffic. I wouldn't be too concerned about the mozzies, long sleeved shirt and jeans should protect most people.

6 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

I wouldn't be too concerned about the mozzies, long sleeved shirt and jeans should protect most people.

Agree, nothing to get alarmed about, we all have "amazing" immune systems, trouble nowadays is it is compromised in so many people due to lifestyle, diet and "drugs" that they require to keep functioning.

What's interesting about Dengue is there are two versions. You get the one it's like bad flu, but then you're immune. You get the other and it's a geometrical thing, it compounds on the first and you could die. The other interesting thing is that daytime mosquitoes are the carriers apparently. I've had one version of Dengue. But this rates rather low on my index, having suffered from something far worse. You live in the tropics, get used to it. 

I realized after calculating my financial future the other day that I am worth much more to my family dead than alive, so this might be a blessing, they may send me outside to sit in a damp shaded area during the day.

3 minutes ago, ocddave said:

I realized after calculating my financial future the other day that I am worth much more to my family dead than alive, so this might be a blessing, they may send me outside to sit in a damp shaded area during the day.

They can also strategically place the oscillating fan to assist in speeding up your demise.  The clue will be that's blowing in your general direction.  

2 hours ago, nausea said:

What's interesting about Dengue is there are two versions. You get the one it's like bad flu, but then you're immune. You get the other and it's a geometrical thing, it compounds on the first and you could die. The other interesting thing is that daytime mosquitoes are the carriers apparently. I've had one version of Dengue. But this rates rather low on my index, having suffered from something far worse. You live in the tropics, get used to it. 

Dengue is caused by a virus of the Flaviviridae family and there are 4 distinct, but closely related, serotypes of the virus that cause dengue (DEN-1, DEN-2, DEN-3 and DEN-4). Recovery from infection by one provides lifelong immunity against that particular serotype. However, cross-immunity to the other serotypes after recovery is only partial and temporary. Subsequent infections (secondary infection) by other serotypes increase the risk of developing severe dengue.

World Health Organization.

16 hours ago, nausea said:

Read about Dengue before you post and don't distribute such nonsense. There are 4 known strains of Dengue: http://www.denguevirusnet.com/dengue-virus.html

22 hours ago, nausea said:

There are four variations, of which two are non fatal, but can be quite unpleasant to get through (talk from experience).

So far, the best proven cure in cases with the two fatal variants – one is worse, than the other, however the fatal percentages are relative low for both – is pressed fresh papaya leaves, that can change the fatal situation within 24 hours. Its extremely bitter, and some suggest to dilute the thick papaya juice in for example apple juice.

ny20130629_papayleaf(200x15.jpgny20130629_juice(200x150).jpg

Fresh papaya leafs, and filtered pressed juice.

I've seen four scientific studies – however one, presumably the first one, was very small – one "Dengue fever treatment with Carica papaya leaves extracts" (Elsevir: Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine Volume 1, Issue 4, August 2011) is published here, and another one "Carica papaya Leaves Juice Significantly Accelerates the Rate of Increase in Platelet Count among Patients with Dengue Fever and Dengue Haemorrhagic Fever" (Hindawi: Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine Volume 2013) is published here.

The latest I read about vaccinations was that Sonofi Pasteur has a vaccine on test in 14-countries, and in 2017 the results showed average about 65 percent protection when the vaccines was given in three doses with six month interval.

(Source "Experts make case for more people to be vaccinated against dengue" here)

????

Archived