BANGKOK
webfact

Biometrics ID System being tested at Phuket Airport

Biometrics ID System being tested at Phuket Airport

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%A1_%E0%B9%91%E0%B9%99%E0

A new Biometrics System is currently being installed and tested at the Phuket International Airport before going live this July.

The biometrics system, a machine for personal facial identification and finger prints is being installed and tested at the Phuket international Airport today. The system is being installed at 16 airports around Thailand and is about 70% completed.

Deputy police spokesman Kritsana Pattanacharoen says, “The system will be ready to use from July 1 this year where there will be more than 2,000 machine installed at Immigration checkpoints around Thailand.”

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/biometrics-id-system-being-tested-at-phuket-airport

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-05-09
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

What are the cameras they use at swampy for.i thought they were biometric type systems.i am pretty sure they have your Id and face clocked when u arrive.just a updated system for them to use

Edited by bristolgeoff
  • Like 1

That will close the door once and for all on those who think they can change their name by deed poll and return to Thailand under a new name.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Some countries have the fingerprint scanner before you deal with the Immigration Officers as a time-saver but I doubt we'll see that here.

Yup. For what they need here a scan of all 10 fingers like shown on pics?

1 finger each hand is enough like in malaysia.

No more TM6 would be perfect but i not believe it before i see it.

So all this will slow down the process to 3-4 min each pax. 

• Like 2

Anyone think this will make immigration any faster for foreigners, or is this just a nice earner for some?  Be nice if now IO's were told to just stamp passports and not look at every passport and study the pages for 5 minutes before stamping.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

There is concern about privacy with such devices in the States. Haven't read the particulars.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1