Bilingual Schools Chiang Mai 2019

wisemonkey

Hi, I will be returning to Chiang Mai midyear and wanting to get my son (6 year old) into a bilingual school in chiang mai (He grew up in Thailand but he has been attending school in Australia for the last year). Wondering if any parents out there have their kids enrolled in a bilingual school in Chiang Mai and can tell me if they are happy with their experience there, and what schools you would recommend or steer clear of. I have been looking at Ambassador Bilingual School, seems to be reasonable fees and also only teach thai for 4 hours a week, the rest of the lessons in English, which sounds great, but have no idea what the actual experience is like. Appreciate any input

From what I am reading seems like the best options are Ambassador Bilingual School and Varee English Program. Cant see on the website how much of the lessons are taught in English at the Varee EP, but I would assume similar to ABS, basically just bumping this thread, seeing if anyone has been impressed with other options, or has experience with either of these 2.

We sent our daughter to Panyaden School, which we loved. They teach 50/50 English and Thai with one thai teacher and one native english teacher in each room. The students end up fluent in both (not just a thai class from time to time) and they have the loveliest campus in Chiang Mai.

2 hours ago, jaiyenjohn said:

We sent our daughter to Panyaden School, which we loved. They teach 50/50 English and Thai with one thai teacher and one native english teacher in each room. The students end up fluent in both (not just a thai class from time to time) and they have the loveliest campus in Chiang Mai.

Wow, the school looks physically beautiful, 225k baht per year plus 50k admission fee is quite high for a 50% english 50% thai school, it looks like it would be good quality though from the website, but this is similar to International school pricing. 

1 hour ago, wisemonkey said:

225k baht per year plus 50k admission fee is quite high for a 50% english 50% thai school,

Just been asked to pay my kids term fees, 6,900bht in the local Amphur school in San Sai.

And my daughters CMR uni fees, 10,800bht. (both including books, uniforms, homework clubs) 

Was thinking "that's expensive", but after reading this maybe not so bad.

14 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Looks great, half Thai, half English. When finished can’t get in anywhere good to continue.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Well I am just wanting English because I will be going back and forth between Australia throughout the years, but really the world is changing. When you say cant get in anywhere good to continue, what do you mean by "good" and "continue". Is it good to continue into a  "good" American university, end up with over 100k worth of student debt and not being able to get a job in your field and have to work at star bucks ? This is a very common story in the US right now, working entry level jobs totally unrelated to their degrees and heavy debt. 

World is changing very quickly.

We use Sarasas near Rail station. Its pretty big and they have 3 tiers: all Thai; Thai/English; English/International. Suits ou 11 year old but we dont have experience of International Tier. You may wish to check it out.

On 5/13/2019 at 8:53 PM, beau thai said:

We use Sarasas near Rail station. Its pretty big and they have 3 tiers: all Thai; Thai/English; English/International. Suits ou 11 year old but we dont have experience of International Tier. You may wish to check it out.

Thanks I havent heard of this one, would you be able to tell me how much of the lessons are taught in English ? I am going through the website, looks like a nice school, I will add this to my list to check out when Im back. Thanks

I cant tell you how much is taught in english. sorry. But they are very helpful so contact by phone/email should get you all the answers you need.  Fees for the english programme (not international) are about 25k per semester for 11 year olds  so maybe less for your 6 year old.

Our lad came back happy and excited day 1 which was pretty amazing, and seems to be learning well.

On 5/10/2019 at 4:03 AM, wisemonkey said:

Wow, the school looks physically beautiful, 225k baht per year plus 50k admission fee is quite high for a 50% english 50% thai school, it looks like it would be good quality though from the website, but this is similar to International school pricing. 

There are only two types of schools in Thailand: Thai schools and International schools.

The so called "bilingual schools" / "EP" are actually Thai schools (the content is as dictated by Thai ministry of education) but with just more emphasis on English than other Thai schools.

In International schools, the content is taken from elsewhere, and accreditation (if any) comes from foreign bodies.

Panyaden is an international school, not a Thai school. Thai ministry of education does not govern the content. The pricing is accordingly.

We pay 30K per child plus books and uniforms for a bi lingual education.  Very happy and so are the kids.  They are learning English and Thai along with 3 day a week lessons in Chinese.  Great air conditioned campus in Sarahkam.

Many Chinese moved to Chiang Mai during the last 3 years (currently about 2,000 families according to a Chinese friend). This drives the prices up. It seems this trend will continue.

On 5/10/2019 at 7:51 PM, wisemonkey said:

Well I am just wanting English because I will be going back and forth between Australia throughout the years

If you want your son to easily move in and out of Australian schools (unless you are OK with PLENTY of private lessons) you need a good international school, not any bilingual.

200K - 300K a year for Elementary / Primary, more later on.

21 hours ago, jimmyyy said:

We pay 30K per child plus books and uniforms for a bi lingual education.  Very happy and so are the kids.  They are learning English and Thai along with 3 day a week lessons in Chinese.  Great air conditioned campus in Sarahkam.

Is this ABS school? Im curious for those who send their kids to blingual school, do the students learn to read and write in English around the 6-8 year olds? My main concern is learning the reading and writing because I think this is the main foundation and from there, your own passion can take you where your interest lay. 

On 5/11/2019 at 6:51 AM, wisemonkey said:

When you say cant get in anywhere good to continue, what do you mean by "good" and "continue".

Panyaden is a great school with a beautiful site & building, and kids love it. They follow the British curriculum, so in theory, the education is good (in practice as well as far as I can see).

I think what Bill97 might be saying is that the type of teaching is a bit alternative. It's so relaxed and pleasant for kids to stay there that by the time they have to go somewhere else, it might be a bit of a shock.

I would say that for kindergarten and primary school, it is great, arguably the best in Chiang Mai. Since this year, they are opening for a secondary school and I'm a bit more suspicious of that. At some point, the reality of life might clash with their philosophy, and I'm not convinced that keeping a kid in a sheltered education environment until he's an adult is the best way. 

• 3 months later...
On 5/20/2019 at 9:58 AM, jimmyyy said:

Hello, what is the name of the school?

Archived