BANGKOK 23 July 2019 03:19
snoop1130

Italian expat faces recklessness causing death charge over fatal boat collision

16 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Exactly my point... "Usually" ought not be the basis for bringing a criminal charge of causing death against someone. There ought to be fact and details that support it, and yet, nothing such supplied in the OP article.

If the police believe and are saying that the faster moving fishing boat plowed into the smaller, slower moving Thai boat, then they ought to say so...  But they aren't and haven't said that.... at least based on the OP article.

Where was the damage to the motored fishing boat... on the front end... on the side... from the articles, there seems to be no mention.

I'm not trying to argue the farang guy is innocent or blameless. But if he's guilty, at least give me something to hang that allegation on...

haha - as an anonymous poster on a random website in the internet ether you're probably not high up on the list of police responsibilities !!

Give us non armchair detectives a scenario where that fishing boat could be to blame ? 

However as numerous others have stated - motorised yacht versus wooden fishing boat with oars - if you need further evidence than that there's not much hope !

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

I wonder who was actually at fault and whether either had their maritime licence. One thing guaranteed is that the Italian is guilty unless he was squeaky clean and can prove it.

If not they may use "the bigger boat shall give way for smaller ones principle" if the expat's boat is larger ...

Anyway, typical Thai way to come up With a spesific charge prior to the investigation is completed ...

Also strange that the expat has already covered the hospital bill and is in negotiation about a one time payment With the Family of the deceast - it therefore indicates a kind of admission - voluntary or otherwise ...

Anyway, a sad outcome ...

RIP

Edited by ttrd
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Who hit who, and from what points on the boats???   I don't think the article actually details that....

Sorry me again - ok lets break down your need to pin this on the thai guy. 

So heavy motorized boat stationary at sea (if not you'd like to think the fishing boat couldn't have hit it) - the oared rowing boat poodling along collides with the heavy motorized boat at what shall we say 2mph ? 3 mph, lets say he had a power breakfast and was doing a lofty 6 mph - what injuries do you think could be inflicted at those walking paces that would kill a guy ?

Can't wait for this …...

Edited by Benroon

4 minutes ago, Benroon said:

I never ever remotely said or suggested what you say above..

I simply said several times over now... if there's some actual evidence and facts that support the farang guy being guilty of a crime, those ought to be detailed/explained. Because they haven't been thus far.

How hard is that to understand?

Rip the Thai fisherman.

Lots could done, if it could bring back the life of him

7 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

I didnt appropriate blame on either party and I quite rightly posted that the Italian would have to be squeaky clean in order to be found innocent. Take a breath and calm yourself down

Doesn't anyone need to be 'squeaky clean' to be innocent ? Else they're not innocent.

Excuse the pun but you need to stop rowing backwards - anyone who can't see the blatently obvious culprit on here is certifiably nuts !

All the anti thais - next time you have a car accident in which you are entirely blameless, how many of you will be leaping out of the car to offer the guilty party cash ? 

17 hours ago, madmen said:

What instruments will detect a wooden boat and send out a screaming alarm ? you cant be serious there is no such thing or the mega ships would be using them instead of running over small boats in shipping lanes

How often do you hear of mega ships running over small boats in shipping lanes? I've never heard of it, which implies that they have some instrument that forewarns them of craft in their vicinity - radar? 

1 minute ago, Benroon said:

Doesn't anyone need to be 'squeaky clean' to be innocent ? Else they're not innocent.

Excuse the pun but you need to stop rowing backwards - anyone who can't see the blatently obvious culprit on here is certifiably nuts !

All the anti thais - next time you have a car accident in which you are entirely blameless, how many of you will be leaping out of the car to offer the guilty party cash ? 

When you most likely will end up as the guilty one no matter what - then you are trying to pay Your way out ...

This has nothing to do with anti Thais, but rather With the knowledge of how the system often works ...

12 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I don't see anything in the OP article in the way of facts or description that would give even the slightest clue of who was actually at fault in this boats collision. 

And yet, the surviving farang boat guy has been charged with recklessness causing death.  If his conduct really was reckless, how about some facts or evidence that actually supports that notion?

In the absence of that, it's just the all-to-commonplace "stick it to the farang" approach...because he/they have money to pay and this is our country, not theirs.

There won't be any concrete evidence, he is a foreigner in Thailand, thats enough. Where are the charges bought against the boat operators of all the accidents over the past few years? won't happen, be swept under the carpet and played down as it could "affect"  tourism. i would think all sensible foreigners know this to be true by now right? dont care if people call me a thai basher, its not the case. Those people are just pathetically turning a blind eye, ignoring very obvious facts to kid themselves their decision to invest here was the right one. Anyway, I hope "true" justice is served in this case but I fear the Italian is for the chop no matter, or the very least seriously out of pocket as he pays the family.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Benroon said:

So heavy motorized boat stationary at sea (if not you'd like to think the fishing boat couldn't have hit it) - the oared rowing boat poodling along collides with the heavy motorized boat at what shall we say 2mph ? 3 mph, lets say he had a power breakfast and was doing a lofty 6 mph - what injuries do you think could be inflicted at those walking paces that would kill a guy ?

Can't wait for this …...

A longtail isn't usually an "oared rowing boat" - they usually have an engine that propels (pardon the pun) them along at a few more knots (2 to 3 mph) than you suggest. And how do you know how big the boat was that he collided with? ("heavy motorised boat"?) 

And I'm not taking sides on this, because I (or you) don't know the full details, but the Thai man was 74 years old and maybe his reactions weren't as quick as a younger man's would have been. 

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, sambum said:

How often do you hear of mega ships running over small boats in shipping lanes? I've never heard of it, which implies that they have some instrument that forewarns them of craft in their vicinity - radar? 

Because you haven't heard of something it doesn't happen?

Might I suggest you check U-tube under ship collisions to give you a broader view of the subject.

More than once, while fishing far out at sea in the boat in my avatar, we found ourselves sitting in the path of a fast approaching ship. (they seem to loom up very quickly at sea). We always started up and moved a hundred meters or so out of their path as they never show any signs of veering around us. They cant turn on a dime even if they did see us. It's up to the small vessel to keep clear of shipping.

None of which relates to the small boat incident with the Italian. . 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I never ever remotely said or suggested what you say above..

I simply said several times over now... if there's some actual evidence and facts that support the farang guy being guilty of a crime, those ought to be detailed/explained. Because they haven't been thus far.

How hard is that to understand?

Has been clearly explained why the foreigner is at fault.

Just look and read the account of the accident in the previous news article.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, sambum said:

18 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Has been clearly explained why the foreigner is at fault.

Just look and read the account of the accident in the previous news article.

The OP article in this thread explains nothing in terms of the details of the collision...

And in looking back at a prior article from the same news outlet, it's equally or even more lacking in any details.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/italian-expat-involved-in-phuket-boat-collision-that-leaves-local-fisherman-74-with-serious-injuries-71101.php

If there's some different one you're aware of, why don't you post a link to it.