BANGKOK 25 June 2019 19:23
snoop1130

Italian expat faces recklessness causing death charge over fatal boat collision

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The OP article in this thread explains nothing in terms of the details of the collision...

And in looking back at a prior article from the same news outlet, it's equally or even more lacking in any details.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/italian-expat-involved-in-phuket-boat-collision-that-leaves-local-fisherman-74-with-serious-injuries-71101.php

If there's some different one you're aware of, why don't you post a link to it.

Are these news articles written by Thais who speak English or native English speaking people? Because I feel a lot of argument on this forum is based on translation issues more than anything.

Small punctuation errors can change the whole understanding of passages of text. the old example of " Let’s eat, Grandma. vs. Let’s eat Grandma."

The scope for news stories either from Thai police media liaison to a native english speaking reporter, or Thai police media liaison who speaks a bit of English, or Thai police media liaison speaking to a Thai reporter who self translates, to be misinterpreted is vast. It might be useful to keep that in mind next time you hear weirdness in an English publish news report.

But to get the answers you need, why don't you approach the local police or the reporter and news outlet in question to get the answers you seek. You can then enlighten us all here. It will only take a phone call or two.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The OP article in this thread explains nothing in terms of the details of the collision...

And in looking back at a prior article from the same news outlet, it's equally or even more lacking in any details.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/italian-expat-involved-in-phuket-boat-collision-that-leaves-local-fisherman-74-with-serious-injuries-71101.php

If there's some different one you're aware of, why don't you post a link to it.

“I am still waiting for the forensic police to conclude their investigation. That may take about a month. "

Did this part escape you? Let me try and help.

THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED YET.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Traubert said:

“I am still waiting for the forensic police to conclude their investigation. That may take about a month. "

Did this part escape you? Let me try and help.

THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED YET.

Except, I'm not one of the many here who seem to have already presumed the guy is guilty...

I'm one of the few asking... where's the proof, where's the evidence, where's the facts?

Unlike others here, I'd actually like to hear/know the results of the supposed investigation and its details, before presuming the guy guilty.

That's the job of the supposed news media here, if they were actually doing their job.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

You're not entitled to any. It's sub-judice. The court will be the first to hear the evidence and facts.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Traubert said:

You're not entitled to any. It's sub-judice. The court will be the first to hear the evidence and facts.

If the police are going to seek a legal criminal charge against the guy, as they are doing, they have to have some basis for doing so. They can't just wake up in the morning and say, OK, we're going to charge this guy, even though we have no proof or evidence as yet to support the charge....

And if they have some evidence or proof, normally, that's going to be explained in the news reports where the police publicly announce they're seeking a criminal case...long before the case ever makes it to court where perhaps even more details will be hashed out.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I never ever remotely said or suggested what you say above..

I simply said several times over now... if there's some actual evidence and facts that support the farang guy being guilty of a crime, those ought to be detailed/explained. Because they haven't been thus far.

How hard is that to understand?

Not as hard as motorized yacht v rowing boat - you seem to be struggling with that one

Again - you, me or this forum is not important - why on earth would the police, in any country, provide evidence to satisfy those who can't see the blindingly obvious on a forum that is anti ? the farang had a motorized boat the dead guy had a rowing boat - seriously what do you reckon ?

So again - the scenario for the rowing boat to be in the wrong is ………..

Edited by Benroon

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Except, I'm not one of the many here who seem to have already presumed the guy is guilty...

I'm one of the few asking... where's the proof, where's the evidence, where's the facts?

Unlike others here, I'd actually like to hear/know the results of the supposed investigation and its details, before presuming the guy guilty.

That's the job of the supposed news media here, if they were actually doing their job.

The investigation is on going, why would you expect the results already?

As for evidence, its very simple, he hit the boat on the starboard side, you really dont have to know much maritime law to know what that means and thus be able to presume his guilt.

Edited by Kieran00001

Just now, Kieran00001 said:

As for evidence, its very simple, he hit the boat on the starboard side,

Where has that detail been reported?

19 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I don't see anything in the OP article in the way of facts or description that would give even the slightest clue of who was actually at fault in this boats collision. 

And yet, the surviving farang boat guy has been charged with recklessness causing death.  If his conduct really was reckless, how about some facts or evidence that actually supports that notion?

In the absence of that, it's just the all-to-commonplace "stick it to the farang" approach...because he/they have money to pay and this is our country, not theirs.

You seem not to know much about law. Particular marine law. 

1) if in an accident someone is killed, obviously the other party is brought to court. It is the responsibility of the court to decide if the other party is guilty ... not the responsibility of the investigating police officer

2) the victim was a fisher boat ... likely he did what fisher boats do: fishing

As an exercise to you I leave it to you to find out who had "the right of way."

Ah, and before you run all mad at me: it is your _funky_ responsibility to make sure you not injure or harm anyone, regardless of right if way or other regulations. The culprit above failed on that. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Enki said:

You seem not to know much about law. Particular marine law. 

1) if in an accident someone is killed, obviously the other party is brought to court. It is the responsibility of the court to decide if the other party is guilty ... not the responsibility of the investigating police officer

2) the victim was a fisher boat ... likely he did what fisher boats do: fishing

As an exercise to you I leave it to you to find out who had "the right of way."

Ah, and before you run all mad at me: it is your _funky_ responsibility to make sure you not injure or harm anyone, regardless of right if way or other regulations. The culprit above failed on that. 

What time of day or night did the collision occur? What was the visibility at the time?  If it was dark/night, did the two boats have lights?  Etc etc....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LawrenceN said:

I don't know where you came up with this rowboat idea. The article states the old guy was in a long-tailed boat, the tail being a shaft with a propeller on the end. They're quite common in those parts. I can't remember the last time I saw a Thai rowing a boat in open waters.

So the oars (still in situ) would be for ?????

6 hours ago, justin case said:

why would a life be worth more than what government wanted to pay for the dead people on  a recent bus crash ? => 50.000 baht MAX

at 74 he was at the end of the line ... did he work so much to support his family (all handicapped and disabled to work for themselves?)

farang = let's ask whatever we want and see of the nice THAI judge will follow

always ask much more than expected

Which is what every decent lawyer in every country on the planet will do - so the implication its a unique national trait is errrrrrrrr <deleted> !

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Where has that detail been reported?

In the old news report.

12 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

What time of day or night did the collision occur? What was the visibility at the time?  If it was dark/night, did the two boats have lights?  Etc etc....

It happened in the morning, it was reported at 10:30 am, visibility was fine, no need for lights.

Before asking aymore rubbish questions, have you considered reading the articles?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, mogandave said:

Yes, and it is only Thais that try to extort money out of a situation.

No one in the US ever sues to get money.

Come on you're experienced enough on here to know that murder, rape, extortion, embezzlement, fraud, shoplifting, drink driving, not using indicators, wife beating, under age sex, etc etc are all thai traits and completely unheard of in any other nation on earth.

It must be true as you can read it on here EVERY day !

Not to mention the sheer audacity of the nations police force going ahead with cases with scant regard to the sensibilities of the TVF anti's !! We have a multiple murder sarge, ok get the facts onto Thaivisa then we'll take a look !