Jump to content
BANGKOK
snoop1130

Italian expat faces recklessness causing death charge over fatal boat collision

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Benroon said:

haha this is just getting better and better …..

 

Lets start with dead person …..

 

Yes, let's start with a dead person.

 

So if your wife wakes up from bed some night while you're sleeping, goes out to the balcony and jumps to her death, are you automatically a murderer???  Just because she's dead and you're there?

 

In my book, the answer would be no... But perhaps your view is you would automatically be a murderer, just as you assume the farang boat guy is recklessly responsible for a death -- without absolutely no details of just how that death occurred and under what circumstances.

 

Just because the Thai guy is dead doesn't automatically mean the farang guy is recklessly responsible...  He may well be.... But I'd kinda like to see some proof or evidence first.

 

 

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Benroon said:

So the oars (still in situ) would be for ?????

If you really need to ask questions like this, I hope you never are at sea alone ...

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Exactly my point... "Usually" ought not be the basis for bringing a criminal charge of causing death against someone

Then your point is rather unintelligent. Usually, you bring the one surviving an accident to court. At least that is how it is handled in a civilized world, No idea where you are from.

 

18 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If the police believe and are saying that the faster moving fishing boat plowed into the smaller, slower moving Thai boat, then they ought to say so... 

They probably did. Or the culprit would not be brought to court, facepalm.

 

18 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Where was the damage to the motored fishing boat... on the front end... on the side... from the articles, there seems to be no mention.

You can see the picture like everyone else can. The culprit ran his boat over the victims boat. 

 

19 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But if he's guilty, at least give me something to hang that allegation on...

Why? You are reading a newspaper article on Thaivisa.com, that has a link to the more or less original newspaper article, which you obviously did not read ...

 

As long as you are not the lawyer of the culprit, why do you think you have special rights to get special information?

 

You are the one who started here with a thai hating sub thread ... stop continuing making an idiot out of yourself.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Enki said:

Then your point is rather unintelligent. Usually, you bring the one surviving an accident to court. At least that is how it is handled in a civilized world, No idea where you are from.

 

They probably did. Or the culprit would not be brought to court, facepalm.

 

You can see the picture like everyone else can. The culprit ran his boat over the victims boat. 

 

Why? You are reading a newspaper article on Thaivisa.com, that has a link to the more or less original newspaper article, which you obviously did not read ...

 

As long as you are not the lawyer of the culprit, why do you think you have special rights to get special information?

 

You are the one who started here with a thai hating sub thread ... stop continuing making an idiot out of yourself.

 

Enki,     Did you get out of bed today on the wrong side?     

 

A little "slow down" might be in order.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mogandave said:

 


Radar

 

If you invent a radar that can detect a wooden boat, you will be the richest man on earth, and poured over with Nobel Prizes over your ears.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

 

The OP article in this thread explains nothing in terms of the details of the collision...

 

And in looking back at a prior article from the same news outlet, it's equally or even more lacking in any details.

 

https://www.thephuketnews.com/italian-expat-involved-in-phuket-boat-collision-that-leaves-local-fisherman-74-with-serious-injuries-71101.php

 

If there's some different one you're aware of, why don't you post a link to it.

 

Agree the search function on Thai Visa is not really good, but this one did show for me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

For those making assumptions here, think back to the recent case of the Thai B movie actress who was driving and hit and killed a police officer who was  sleeping in his car somewhere along the side of the road one night....

 

As best as I recall, she got off the criminal case almost entirely on the basis of temporarily going to a temple to be a nun for a brief time.

 

In these kinds of cases here in Thailand, the early lodging of a criminal charge often seems to be an incentive for the surviving party to reach a financial settlement with the deceased, regardless of the varying levels of fault that may be involved... Because the victim is dead, and someone needs to pay for it, since Thai society clearly won't. And  then the criminal case manages to disappear or get resolved with little penalty, other than the separate payouts having been made.

 

 

 

She got off by hiding away until sober and then paying off the family.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Enki said:

If you invent a radar that can detect a wooden boat, you will be the richest man on earth, and poured over with Nobel Prizes over your ears.

 

Good grief, we've had them since the 1980's, its called polarimetric radar, and the inventors are neither particularly rich nor Nobel Prize winners.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, harrycallahan said:

He wasn't in a destroyer. They use their eyes.

Last year two american destroyers managed to cross a shipping lane and crash. One crash caused the death of the captain and a few more crew.

Actually I'm not sure if it was three destroyers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

I wonder who was actually at fault and whether either had their maritime licence.

In most parts of the world - Germany e.g. being an exception - locals don't need a maritime license. Unless: they carry passengers or operate a commercial vessel.

 

21 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

One thing guaranteed is that the Italian is guilty unless he was squeaky clean and can prove it.

Exactly. And what is so surprising about that? Oh, you don't know how law in case of accidents that involve vessels, may it be on land or in air or at sea, work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Benroon said:

errrrrr via the pictures ?

 

Those things hanging over the sides - they're called oars - they're even still in place, If they weren't being used they would have been laying down inside the boat.

 

You will also note the lack of engine at the other end.

 

Seriously has school finished early today or something ?

"errrrrr via the pictures ?" What "via the pictures"? I can only see one picture. 

 

The longtail boat has been in an accident has it not? The engine could have been dislodged could it not?. The oars may have been used to move the boat to a safer position as it may have been a danger to other boats in the area, could it not?

 

From a worldwide reliable source:-

 

"The long-tail boat, is a type of watercraft native to Southeast Asia, which uses a common automotive engine as a readily available and maintainable powerplant. A craft designed to carry passengers on a river may include a lightweight long canoe hull, up to 30 metres, and a canopy.Wikipedia"

 

Also:-

Known as the gondolas of southern Thailand, Ruang Hang Yao, which can be literally translated as long-tail boats, come in different shapes and sizes, but they have one thing in common. They all have a long tail, a pole attached to the stern of the boat with a propeller attached to it. With an innovative dual function, this tail is used for both stirring and propelling the boat. 

(That is possibly the long thin pole in the middle of the boat in the picture hmm?)

1557401201_1-org.jpg

 

And without getting into a slanging match with you, which will only lead to our posts being removed, please refrain from the childish insults - they are uncalled for and totally unnecessary.

 

 

Edited by sambum
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Benroon said:

So the oars (still in situ) would be for ?????

Moving it to a safe place?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, sambum said:

"errrrrr via the pictures ?" What "via the pictures"? I can only see one picture. 

 

The longtail boat has been in an accident has it not? The engine could have been dislodged could it not?. The oars may have been used to move the boat to a safer position as it may have been a danger to other boats in the area, could it not?

 

From a worldwide reliable source:-

 

"The long-tail boat, is a type of watercraft native to Southeast Asia, which uses a common automotive engine as a readily available and maintainable powerplant. A craft designed to carry passengers on a river may include a lightweight long canoe hull, up to 30 metres, and a canopy.Wikipedia"

 

Also:-

Known as the gondolas of southern Thailand, Ruang Hang Yao, which can be literally translated as long-tail boats, come in different shapes and sizes, but they have one thing in common. They all have a long tail, a pole attached to the stern of the boat with a propeller attached to it. With an innovative dual function, this tail is used for both stirring and propelling the boat. 

(That is possibly the long thin pole in the middle of the boat in the picture hmm?)

1557401201_1-org.jpg

 

And without getting into a slanging match with you, which will only lead to our posts being removed, please refrain from the childish insults - they are uncalled for and totally unnecessary.

 

 

 

That's not a longtail, its the sort of boat that are often turned into longtails, but that one hasn't been, the long pole you can see is the second oar, the two short poles sticking up are a type of rowlock, and at the back you can see the tiller, if the engine had been ripped off obviously the tiller would have gone with it. Now, if you truely know this little about boats, why on earth are you putting you two cents in?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, sambum said:

Moving it to a safe place?

 

Its half submerged, have you even seen a boat before?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...