BANGKOK 21 June 2019 04:52
snoop1130

Italian expat faces recklessness causing death charge over fatal boat collision

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The OP article in this thread explains nothing in terms of the details of the collision...

And in looking back at a prior article from the same news outlet, it's equally or even more lacking in any details.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/italian-expat-involved-in-phuket-boat-collision-that-leaves-local-fisherman-74-with-serious-injuries-71101.php

If there's some different one you're aware of, why don't you post a link to it.

Agree the search function on Thai Visa is not really good, but this one did show for me.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

For those making assumptions here, think back to the recent case of the Thai B movie actress who was driving and hit and killed a police officer who was  sleeping in his car somewhere along the side of the road one night....

As best as I recall, she got off the criminal case almost entirely on the basis of temporarily going to a temple to be a nun for a brief time.

In these kinds of cases here in Thailand, the early lodging of a criminal charge often seems to be an incentive for the surviving party to reach a financial settlement with the deceased, regardless of the varying levels of fault that may be involved... Because the victim is dead, and someone needs to pay for it, since Thai society clearly won't. And  then the criminal case manages to disappear or get resolved with little penalty, other than the separate payouts having been made.

She got off by hiding away until sober and then paying off the family.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Enki said:

If you invent a radar that can detect a wooden boat, you will be the richest man on earth, and poured over with Nobel Prizes over your ears.

Good grief, we've had them since the 1980's, its called polarimetric radar, and the inventors are neither particularly rich nor Nobel Prize winners.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, harrycallahan said:

He wasn't in a destroyer. They use their eyes.

Last year two american destroyers managed to cross a shipping lane and crash. One crash caused the death of the captain and a few more crew.

Actually I'm not sure if it was three destroyers.

21 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

I wonder who was actually at fault and whether either had their maritime licence.

In most parts of the world - Germany e.g. being an exception - locals don't need a maritime license. Unless: they carry passengers or operate a commercial vessel.

21 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

One thing guaranteed is that the Italian is guilty unless he was squeaky clean and can prove it.

Exactly. And what is so surprising about that? Oh, you don't know how law in case of accidents that involve vessels, may it be on land or in air or at sea, work?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Benroon said:

errrrrr via the pictures ?

Those things hanging over the sides - they're called oars - they're even still in place, If they weren't being used they would have been laying down inside the boat.

You will also note the lack of engine at the other end.

Seriously has school finished early today or something ?

"errrrrr via the pictures ?" What "via the pictures"? I can only see one picture. 

The longtail boat has been in an accident has it not? The engine could have been dislodged could it not?. The oars may have been used to move the boat to a safer position as it may have been a danger to other boats in the area, could it not?

From a worldwide reliable source:-

"The long-tail boat, is a type of watercraft native to Southeast Asia, which uses a common automotive engine as a readily available and maintainable powerplant. A craft designed to carry passengers on a river may include a lightweight long canoe hull, up to 30 metres, and a canopy.Wikipedia"

Also:-

Known as the gondolas of southern Thailand, Ruang Hang Yao, which can be literally translated as long-tail boats, come in different shapes and sizes, but they have one thing in common. They all have a long tail, a pole attached to the stern of the boat with a propeller attached to it. With an innovative dual function, this tail is used for both stirring and propelling the boat. 

(That is possibly the long thin pole in the middle of the boat in the picture hmm?)

1557401201_1-org.jpg

And without getting into a slanging match with you, which will only lead to our posts being removed, please refrain from the childish insults - they are uncalled for and totally unnecessary.

Edited by sambum
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Benroon said:

So the oars (still in situ) would be for ?????

Moving it to a safe place?

58 minutes ago, sambum said:

"errrrrr via the pictures ?" What "via the pictures"? I can only see one picture. 

The longtail boat has been in an accident has it not? The engine could have been dislodged could it not?. The oars may have been used to move the boat to a safer position as it may have been a danger to other boats in the area, could it not?

From a worldwide reliable source:-

"The long-tail boat, is a type of watercraft native to Southeast Asia, which uses a common automotive engine as a readily available and maintainable powerplant. A craft designed to carry passengers on a river may include a lightweight long canoe hull, up to 30 metres, and a canopy.Wikipedia"

Also:-

Known as the gondolas of southern Thailand, Ruang Hang Yao, which can be literally translated as long-tail boats, come in different shapes and sizes, but they have one thing in common. They all have a long tail, a pole attached to the stern of the boat with a propeller attached to it. With an innovative dual function, this tail is used for both stirring and propelling the boat. 

(That is possibly the long thin pole in the middle of the boat in the picture hmm?)

1557401201_1-org.jpg

And without getting into a slanging match with you, which will only lead to our posts being removed, please refrain from the childish insults - they are uncalled for and totally unnecessary.

That's not a longtail, its the sort of boat that are often turned into longtails, but that one hasn't been, the long pole you can see is the second oar, the two short poles sticking up are a type of rowlock, and at the back you can see the tiller, if the engine had been ripped off obviously the tiller would have gone with it. Now, if you truely know this little about boats, why on earth are you putting you two cents in?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, sambum said:

Moving it to a safe place?

Its half submerged, have you even seen a boat before?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

That's not a longtail, its the sort of boat that are often turned into longtails, but that one hasn't been, the long pole you can see is the second oar, the two short poles sticking up are a type of rowlock, and at the back you can see the tiller, if the engine had been ripped off obviously the tiller would have gone with it. Now, if you truely know this little about boats, why on earth are you putting you two cents in?

Possibly because a lot of those boats have a lawn mower engine in a tiny compartment, attached to a prop that wouldn't be seen in the photo.  I've seen dozens of them on beaches in Thailand.

Why would you need a tiller on a rowboat?  How can you row from the middle of the boat and operate a tiller from the back seat?  That "tiller" actually looks more like a motor mount, with the motor knocked off- possibly by the collision.  I'm not claiming to know.  In fact, just the opposite.  I'm hoping to goad someone into posting up actual, verified information instead of conjecture.

Also, I'm still not seeing any information about the time the accident occurred.  Just that it was reported at 10:30.  Which could be hours after it actually happened.  Begging the question about lights.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, impulse said:

Possibly because a lot of those boats have a lawn mower engine in a tiny compartment, attached to a prop that wouldn't be seen in the photo.  I've seen dozens of them on beaches in Thailand.

Why would you need a tiller on a rowboat?  How can you row from the middle of the boat and operate a tiller from the back seat?  That "tiller" actually looks more like a motor mount, with the motor knocked off- possibly by the collision.  I'm not claiming to know.  In fact, just the opposite.  I'm hoping to goad someone into posting up actual, verified information instead of conjecture.

Also, I'm still not seeing any information about the time the accident occurred.  Just that it was reported at 10:30.  Which could be hours after it actually happened.  Begging the question about lights.

Well, that wouldn't be a long tail either then.  The tiller is clearly visible, have you zoomed in?

Row boats that go to sea have tillers, it helps one to avoid dying in a the slightest swell.  And they are operated by tying them while rowing.

Clearly you're another one with a wealth of knowledge to bring to this thread. Xx

Edited by Kieran00001

16 minutes ago, impulse said:

220px-Long-tail_boat_engine_Ko_Kai.jpg

The image above shows a typical, low budget longtail install.  It is NOT the one from the OP.  See that prop hanging off the back?  That's why it's called a longtail, as in the OP.

I had a longtail motor in BKK based on a 200cc lawn mower type engine, and the mount could have easily been knocked off in a collision.

Again, I don't claim to know the answer.  But I'm not the one trying to shut down all discussion based on my own conjecture.   

In the absence of reliable reporting, I have no problem with the conjecture, since it's the basis of a lot of good discussion.  My objection comes when posters shut down the discussion by holding their conjecture out as irrefutable fact and insulting anyone who disagrees.

Ot is hardly conjecture to recognise a tiller darling.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

I was having  a discussion with somebody else , so why are YOU putting your oar in? (pun "TRULY" intended!)

And if that long pole is an oar - how would you use it? Maybe like this? :-

Punting on the River Cam : Stock Photo

Edited by sambum