BANGKOK 16 June 2019 23:32
snoop1130

Italian expat faces recklessness causing death charge over fatal boat collision

18 minutes ago, sambum said:

I was having  a discussion with somebody else , so why are YOU putting your oar in? (pun "TRULY" intended!)

And if that long pole is an oar - how would you use it? Maybe like this? :-

Punting on the River Cam : Stock Photo

There are two poles attached vertically which serve as rowlocks, the oars are tied to those.  Have you considered taking a look around this country?  You're disputing their traditional water craft now, can't believe you've never seen them!

6 hours ago, stevenl said:

Agree the search function on Thai Visa is not really good, but this one did show for me.

Yep, that's the prior article I also had read from the same news outlet, making a total of two from them on this incident that I'm aware of... And neither of them has any meaningful, specific details about when, where, or how the collision occurred that would in any way help determine guilt/responsibility/recklessness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

There are two poles attached vertically which serve as rowlocks, the oars are tied to those.  Have you considered taking a look around this country?  You're disputing their traditional water craft now, can't believe you've never seen them!

These are the traditional water craft that I've seen in Esan - I believe they are called "longboats", but my wife calls them "dragon boats". I've seen them having races and gazed on in wonder at the physical effort required - especially in the Thailand heat. I've been here for many years now, and never seen the type of craft that you refer to. 

Anyway, this discussion is going nowhere, so before you start to give me more Thai lessons, or detention for not doing my homework, I will say goodnight and have pleasant dreams of life on your ocean wave! 

Traditional boat races thailand

• Like 1

On 5/9/2019 at 10:08 PM, Pattaya46 said:

On one side you have a not so big but fast fishing boat :

50480648_2271115339567194_68974490419200

On the other side you have a slow low wooden rowing boat !

1557401201_1-org.jpg.01708ec5251f1645265

And members asking who hit who ??? :blink:

Navigations rules say that the boat overtaking another must change its route to avoid collision, and in crossings a motor boat must give way to less maneuverable boats.

We don't know details, but in open sea a motor boat is usually at fault if collision with a rowing or sailing boat.

Yes the rules of the sea are pretty clear, and well tried and tested over many years of History, .... Usually it is very easy to define who is in the wrong.

Re Cargo ships hitting Wooden bats in Shipping lanes, ... Well at night the Fishing boats are supposed to show a light, and the cargo Boats have one officer on watch, ... usually watching the Radar, that has a collision alarm, for things that it can see .... and there is supposed to be an AB on watch also, I think ? on some ships at least I think ? ... Who's specific job it is is to look out for fishing boats, while the officer on watch is not .... this does not always happen of course, .... I do believe that as the Cargo ships are tall, so they can see over the horizon, Oh 60k with their radars, re other Cargo ships, and at 20 K say, = 3 hrs before you can hit any thing big, ... some officers on them, have been known to just set the collision alarm, .., and just take a little Kip. ... So they tell me. ? ...

Though looking at the Power fishing boat at this time, and having 2 fishers on Board, in the Morning... I would say that they all were looking at the lines ... and not where they were going ! ? ... and well, look at the two boats ... an Engine hidden under the deck in the little wooden boat !!! ... It would be about as big as an egg beater if it was there any way ! ... What are you talking about !!! .... The power boat was probably almost certainly, WELL, in the wrong.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yep, that's the prior article I also had read from the same news outlet, making a total of two from them on this incident that I'm aware of... And neither of them has any meaningful, specific details about when, where, or how the collision occurred that would in any way help determine guilt/responsibility/recklessness.

If you refuse to read and understand there is nothing I can do. And I am not talking about the news article but about the discussion, hence the link to the discussion and not the news article.

It is very clear who is at fault.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

I think you will find that it actually looks like a long tail WITHOUT a motor, which is not a long tail, by the way.

I see two possibilities: 1) The reporter inaccurately called it a longtail; 2) The editor stuck in a stock photo of a little Thai boat. Or both. We don't really know if the photo shows the actual boat involved in the accident. I don't see much damage. Does anybody have better info from previous reliable reports?

I stopped trying to reason with some people on this thread.

It's become clear they are either trolling or incredibly stupid, and there's no point in engaging with them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

In the old news report.

Why is the damage on the port aft then?

54 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

I see two possibilities: 1) The reporter inaccurately called it a longtail; 2) The editor stuck in a stock photo of a little Thai boat. Or both. We don't really know if the photo shows the actual boat involved in the accident. I don't see much damage. Does anybody have better info from previous reliable reports?

Zoom in on the photo. The gunnel has been broken port aft. 

Why is the damage on the port aft then?

Maybe that’s where it was hit?

15 hours ago, sambum said:

"errrrrr via the pictures ?" What "via the pictures"? I can only see one picture.

Here is another one :

1555223948_4645.jpg

Look the location of the damage, clearly it just ran into the dock!

On 5/9/2019 at 9:12 PM, Isaanbiker said:

The Italian seems to have a yacht/boat that should have the right instruments to see other vehicles on the ocean while he's steering his craft. You can hardly blame the poor fisherman for not having any nautical instruments on board, can you? 

Anyway, you can/must call it recklessness driving/steering when his boat hits a much smaller one.

What chance would an older man have not to get hit by a much bigger and heavier boat? The Italian was of course not trying to kill anybody, and he just wanted to enjoy his hobby.

Besides the 200 K for the hospital, the family is also asking for 1.5 million baht compensation for the poor bloke's death.

It was a preventable accident, not knowing the law on the oceans, but I'd think that you should always be aware of what's in front of you. 

A small wooden boat sitting low in the water would probably not show up on radar if that is the instrument you are referring to. 

11 hours ago, sambum said:

These are the traditional water craft that I've seen in Esan - I believe they are called "longboats", but my wife calls them "dragon boats". I've seen them having races and gazed on in wonder at the physical effort required - especially in the Thailand heat. I've been here for many years now, and never seen the type of craft that you refer to. 

Anyway, this discussion is going nowhere, so before you start to give me more Thai lessons, or detention for not doing my homework, I will say goodnight and have pleasant dreams of life on your ocean wave! 

Traditional boat races thailand

Dragon boats ars traditional Chinese boats however they are now found throughout the world, I believe they are an olympic event, but they also have zero relavance to this topic. 

The boats I am talking about are calked kolae boats and originate in Thailand and Malaysia, they are not from Isaan though, they are from the south.  The extended rowlocks seen on some, such as the one in this accident, allows rowing while standing.

aam-aaes32985.jpg.4acfe46cdc8bf9c3f8d3fc14cf27d9cf.jpg