Americans' support for impeaching Trump rises - Reuters/Ipsos poll

webfact

3 hours ago, Spike1938 said:

Gee, you must have missed the at least 10 instances of attempted obstruction of justice. 

I think like a defense attorney. Flimsy gossip does not equal proof beyond a reasonable doubt

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“I’m concerned if we don’t impeach this president, he will get re-elected,” 

-Rep. Al Green (D-TX)

There's the plan in a nutshell.  At least he's being truthful.  I give him credit for his candor. 
Circumvent the electoral process because things are not the way you wanted them to be, and there is a chance your party may lose the presidency once again via the Presidential Election process.  Invoking neo-McCarthyism1, which should now be known as "The Third Red Scare" didn't work, so now try for impeachment as means for overturning the 2016 Presidential Election and eliminating a possible Trump election in 2020.  Yeah - what could possibly go wrong?
The title of this article should read: "Americans' Support For Totalitarianism and Tyranny Rises".  

Again - be very careful what you wish for.  You may receive it. :dry:

McCarthyism, name given to the period of time in American history that saw Wisconsin Sen. Joseph McCarthy produce a series of investigations and hearings during the 1950s in an effort to expose supposed communist infiltration of various areas of the U.S. government. The term has since become a byname for defamation of character or reputation by means of widely publicized indiscriminate allegations, especially on the basis of unsubstantiated charges.

...these are the news agencies that perpetrated and perpetuated the 'Russia Fairy Tale'....

....their credibility is at 22% last I read....and rightly so...

...hope the American people do not consider...for a moment....any more malarkey from these sources...

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

As a non-American observer, without a "dog in the race', that would seem a very obvious and very dangerous steep slope.

But the unforgiving hatred of the Democrats in their use of the law as a political weapon, as is becoming a facet of all left political groups, is going to push America down that slope.

Increasingly the left of politics embrace totalitarianism.

So, I guess if someone who claims to be a non-UK citizen opines about Brexit, you give their opinion extra weight because of that? Please, one's citizenship has no relation at all to impartiality or clear-sightedness. It's knowledge of the facts that count. And it's clear that you haven't read the relevant portions of Mueller's report.

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

I think like a defense attorney. Flimsy gossip does not equal proof beyond a reasonable doubt

That's right. You as someone who styles himself a defense attorney like thinker. have a better understanding of what constitutes evidence than Robert Mueller. Please.

8 minutes ago, rgraham said:

Impeach him for what? Democrats will stop at nothing to keep from working.

Obstruction of justice. As Mueller has obliquely suggested. And as he explicitly said, the report does not exonerate Trump on that count.

1 hour ago, MickeyDelux said:

If you believe this malarkey (aka fake news) then you are probably still watching CNN and believe AOC is making relevant points in her Green deal.

And if you mistake irrelevant insults for reasoned arguments...oh wait a minute.

3 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

To the Democrats Trump's high crime was in beating their dubious choice for POTUS when they all thought the result as a forgone conclusion!

I guess when you've got no knowledge of the relevant facts, you can always cite motives.

9 hours ago, riclag said:

It would take a marketing genius to convince the American swing voter to elect Mr. TRUMP another 4 years!

He's won 3-1/2 out 4 non legislation  events,shooting for two more!

1. 2016 landslide

2. 2018 senate

3. Mueller matter-no obstruction,no collusion, no  conspiracy.

4. lost the house

Lets see how he markets what he calls a attempted Coup . Got almost 18 months to convince them 

2016 was a landslide? Where he lost the popular vote and only had an extremely narrow win in PA, WI, and MI? 

You think the 2 seats that the Republicans gained in the Senate - 2 seats in Red states - counterabalances the loss of 40 seats in the House and control of the it. 

And you're wrong about Mueller's conclusions. As anyone who has read the obstruction portion of his report knows, he says because of Justice Department policy regarding the unindictability of a sitting President, he couldn't pronounce judgement on a criminal prosecution. But he clearly indicated that impeachment was a possibility. And he explicitly said that his report did not exonerate Trump of obstruction of justice.

Support for impeachment might increase even more. 

Americans may be persuadable on impeachment

President Trump has taken comfort in and Democrats have been tempered by polls showing that impeachment is unpopular with the American people. It’s easy to believe that what is true now will continue, but what if events play a significant role in how Americans perceive impeachment? Might they become convinced that Trump is a menace and that Vice President Pence would be a far superior incumbent who would not, as his boss does, risk dragging them all down to defeat?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/05/10/americans-may-be-persuadable-impeachment/

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:21 PM, attrayant said:

You copied actual words but you don't seem to understand what they mean.

Something that exists "under constitutional law" simply means that a constitution permits that thing to exist.  In other words, the constitution allows for the process of impeachment.

As to what offenses are impeachable, you should continue reading your own "source".  It says:  

Impeachable offenses

The Constitution defines impeachment at the federal level and limits impeachment to "The President, Vice President, and all civil officers of the United States" who may be impeached and removed only for "treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors".  Several commentators have suggested that Congress alone may decide for itself what constitutes a "high crime or misdemeanor", especially since Nixon v. United States stated that the Supreme Court did not have the authority to determine whether the Senate properly "tried" a defendant. In 1970, then-House Minority Leader Gerald R. Ford defined the criterion as he saw it: "An impeachable offense is whatever a majority of the House of Representatives considers it to be at a given moment in history."

This is quite sad.  I know civics class was a long time ago, but this subject is really not that complex.

So, by the definition you post, congress could have impeached Trump long ago for almost anything he's done, but they haven't. It's up to Pelosi of course, but she hasn't.

They could impeach over the taxes if they want to, but will they? 

I suggest one does not hold one's breath waiting for Trump to be impeached.

On 5/10/2019 at 6:50 PM, Baerboxer said:

Increasingly the left of politics embrace totalitarianism.

The reality in the USA under trump's mismanagement is increasingly moving to a right of centre authoritarianism / personalty cult. A recent example is trump's plans to utilise 4th July celebrations as a partisan platform.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/10/politics/washington-dc-july-fourth-4th-celebration-trump/index.html

No doubt there will the usual childish attacks calling out 'lefties' blah blah

11 minutes ago, JUAinBKK said:

Im in America, and I can tell you this is FAKE NEWS!  Not going to happen, no matter what you CNN brainwashed idiots think.  Stay in your own country and tend to your own issues.

1. So genius, why are you posting in a Thailand forum? 

2. So genius, why is your handle name "JUAinBKK"?

6 minutes ago, Becker said:
13 minutes ago, JUAinBKK said:

Im in America, and I can tell you this is FAKE NEWS!  Not going to happen, no matter what you CNN brainwashed idiots think.  Stay in your own country and tend to your own issues.

So genius, why are you posting in a Thailand forum?

Yo Einstein, why are you discussing America in a Thai forum?

Just now, rabas said:

Yo Einstein, why are you discussing America in a Thai forum?

I'm not the one telling people who do not live in the US to mind their own business while using a handle name saying he lives in BKK.

Did I put that in simple enough terms for you to understand?

FOrget impeachemnt. Throw him in jail. I think they should look into all the people he did business with too, because you know they are into the same stuff. 

It is sad. The reason there is no justice is because when rich guys's lawyers are good enough, the client walks no matter what. Whether they have to strike a deal under the table or win in court, all that matters is lawyers in America. 

33 minutes ago, JUAinBKK said:

26 minutes ago, Becker said:

1. So genius, why are you posting in a Thailand forum? 

2. So genius, why is your handle name "JUAinBKK"?

@khwaibah; Just out of curiosity, what exactly was it about my reply that made you "sad"?

Capture.PNG

Even if Trump were to be impeached, and either forced to resign or given the boot, right now, which doesn't seem likely with the makeup of the senate, he would immediately be pardoned by Pence.  It would also be a drawn out process.  The best strategy would seem to be to wait till the 2020 result is known.  If a Democrat is elected, then throw the book at citizen Trump and lock him up - assuming he doesn't flee to Moscow as soon as the results are in.  If Trump manages to win again, then that is the time to go down the impeachment path.

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Justin Amash (Republican) has called for Trump to be impeached.

The cracks are starting to show.

He’s not just any Republican. He’s a leader of the Tea Party.

here’s his first tweet in a short, but surprisingly well-reasoned thread:

Justin Amash (@justinamash)

Here are my principal conclusions:
1. Attorney General Barr has deliberately misrepresented Mueller’s report.
2. President Trump has engaged in impeachable conduct.
3. Partisanship has eroded our system of checks and balances.
4. Few members of Congress have read the report.

Click the above link to read the whole thread.

On 5/9/2019 at 11:21 PM, attrayant said:

You copied actual words but you don't seem to understand what they mean.

Something that exists "under constitutional law" simply means that a constitution permits that thing to exist.  In other words, the constitution allows for the process of impeachment.

As to what offenses are impeachable, you should continue reading your own "source".  It says:  

Impeachable offenses

The Constitution defines impeachment at the federal level and limits impeachment to "The President, Vice President, and all civil officers of the United States" who may be impeached and removed only for "treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors".  Several commentators have suggested that Congress alone may decide for itself what constitutes a "high crime or misdemeanor", especially since Nixon v. United States stated that the Supreme Court did not have the authority to determine whether the Senate properly "tried" a defendant. In 1970, then-House Minority Leader Gerald R. Ford defined the criterion as he saw it: "An impeachable offense is whatever a majority of the House of Representatives considers it to be at a given moment in history."

This is quite sad.  I know civics class was a long time ago, but this subject is really not that complex.

9th grade civics class is now AP Gov.. Not everyone takes it, which is a shame.  An absolute dumbing down of the electorate. 

On 5/9/2019 at 11:57 PM, connda said:

If you don't like Trump, than get out and vote in 2020 presidential elections.  Continuing down this path of not accepting the election results and demanding 'impeachment' is treading on the slippery slope of totalitarianism.  

Be careful what you wish for.  

True.  Demanding the impeachment or prosecution of your political enemies is about as 3rd World as you can get. It's been going on for a while now in America.

2 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

Even if Trump were to be impeached, and either forced to resign or given the boot, right now, which doesn't seem likely with the makeup of the senate, he would immediately be pardoned by Pence.  It would also be a drawn out process.  The best strategy would seem to be to wait till the 2020 result is known.  If a Democrat is elected, then throw the book at citizen Trump and lock him up - assuming he doesn't flee to Moscow as soon as the results are in.  If Trump manages to win again, then that is the time to go down the impeachment path.

Seems a reasonable strategy. Except that they system is broken, so who knows how things will pan out. Over the last 12 years, Establishment Dems (and I stress ‘Establishment’) have been strategizing themselves into irrelevance, losing State seats, federal seats, governorships, judgeships, school boards seats. Meanwhile, Republicans, with fewer supporters nationwide, crazy policies that the majority of Americans reject, have been crashing through the system like a bull in a chinashop and somehow winning seats. 

Justice Dems, and other more principled Dems have also been beating Establishment Dems with the simple non strategy of connecting  with the grassroots and and running unabashedly on progressive principles.

but for Establishment Dems, the old strategizing, and over thinking, and trying to appeal to multiple sectors with vague, convoluted “messaging” (so as not to lose any voters) are habits that are hard to break.

46 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

FOrget impeachemnt. Throw him in jail. I think they should look into all the people he did business with too, because you know they are into the same stuff. 

It is sad. The reason there is no justice is because when rich guys's lawyers are good enough, the client walks no matter what. Whether they have to strike a deal under the table or win in court, all that matters is lawyers in America. 

Undoudtedly, there are least 10,000 persons around the World that "need killin' " if we're to have a hope for a better World. But that's not going to happen and going all "extrajudicial" on a few here or there is only going to empower the remaining <deleted>.

23 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

I think that's what's going on. Have it hanging in the electoral air for the 2020 elections and then go all in if the Democrats should lose. I'm not sure how that's possible frankly, unless they nominate Biden.

Archived