"C'est moi! But I'm not a taxi driver" Frenchman tells Samui cops as Thais urged to rat on foreigners

webfact

48 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

Back in the day, the locals or anyone else would simply pick you up and drop you off if they were going that way. 

I had people take me from Nathon to Chaweng as they were going that way. No suggestion of fuel money, but then nothing wrong with someone offering. Though... 200 baht of fuel for the journey?

Spirit of Samui probably long gone. Used to be a much friendly place....and the taxis should stop taking the micky.

I totally agree with you but the real inhabitants/ natives of Koh Samui sold up and left years ago, leaving it to the crooks!

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Several of my French friends have a very low opinion of the locals in Koh Samui.

This latest news is not going to help...

I have eliminated Koh Samui, Koh Tao from my list of destinations. 

Now for me it is Koh Chang, where the locals are much, much friendlier

7 hours ago, theboogeyman said:

Uh yeah okay what do I know about cab fare in Thailand? I’ve only been using cabs in Thailand for 5 years lol emoji23.png.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Fair enough !! but sounds like you use taxis in the sticks these are different animals completely and bare no relevance to BKK ones. 

What you should know is BKK taxis are by and large are metered (if they refuse the meter dont use the taxi)is the rule of thumb so by paying 200 THB you just encouraged this lowlife who admittedly was better than the previous illegal taxi-scammer.  

Oh bye the way for your info 13 years working and using taxis daily in BKK!!! so yes i am an expert!

Fair enough !! but sounds like you use taxis in the sticks these are different animals completely and bare no relevance to BKK ones. 
What you should know is BKK taxis are by and large are metered (if they refuse the meter dont use the taxi)is the rule of thumb so by paying 200 THB you just encouraged this lowlife who admittedly was better than the previous illegal taxi-scammer.  

Oh bye the way for your info 13 years working and using taxis daily in BKK!!! so yes i am an expert!

You mean you’ve been here 13 years? I’ve only been here for 5 years now. I live in Korat and Korat is definitely not the biggest city in Thailand but it’s definitely not the “sticks” either. Korat is a pretty decent size city definitely not too big but not too small either. Korat is a big city but nowhere near as big as Bangkok by a long shot. Everything in Korat is fairy close. We love living up here Bangkok is a nice place to visit once in a while but I would not want to live there. And yes the taxi was metered in Bangkok, every taxi I’ve ever taken has been metered but honestly I never pay attention to what that meter even says. Honestly I don’t even know what the numbers on the taxi meter even mean lol. And my cab fare depending on where I’m going is pretty much almost always the same average price it has been that way for the last 5 years I’ve been living here.

I don’t really want to buy a car here just simply because we don’t need one. It’s so easy to grab a taxi or a took took they’re always driving around the city 24/7. We know a few took took drivers that we’ll call once in a while to come pick us up at our house if we don’t feel like walking. We can actually just walk around the corner less than 300 meters and take our pick of food from several different markets and little restaurants. And once in a while we’ll go to a nice restaurant we usually avoid the pricey ones. There’s a New York style restaurant called The Manhattan just around the corner from our house that’s really good and not too expensive and they sell the good imported beer like Guinness and Corona which are two of my favorites and they sell that really good Belgian Ale beer as well for decent prices and it’s less than 150 meters from home we can just walk over there in a couple minutes. So we really don’t need a car at all here. And there’s another reasonably priced restaurant about 5K from our house that sells Beer Lao Dark Larger, when I first tried Beer Lao I can’t get enough of it it’s a really good beer. I noticed that most Thai people don’t like Beer Lao it’s 6.5% alcohol volume and it still tastes good.

I also really like German Beer a lot but German Beer is normally more expensive. That actually reminds me of a day in Japan my wife and I were wondering around Yokohama which is in the same geographical area as Tokyo and we were planning on going to Chinatown which is in Yokohama. So we grabbed a cab and we were headed to Chinatown in Yokohama and suddenly we past a festival going on it was a real authentic German Octoberfest with real Germans playing the instruments and singing in German and wearing those clothes they wear during Octoberfest so my wife and I were like OH WOW STOOOOOOP!

We decided to go to the German Octoberfest instead and it was a real authentic German Octoberfest ironically in Yokohama, Japan. So we ended up hanging out at the German Octoberfest and luckily I didn’t have to be back to work till Monday that week and we had such a great time it was amazing. I must have ordered at least $200 dollars worth of German Beer in those big tall foamy Beer Stein glasses. We ended up staying there all night at the spur of the moment and just having an absolutely amazing time and experience. I love those German Beer Steins and the beer has a great taste to it as well. We ended up making friends with a young Japanese couple that was sitting at our table because they just had everyone mixed in together with total strangers and it’s really cool because you just drink and start socializing with people you don’t even know. We really had a great time and by the time it was over it was like 2AM and the Tokyo subway closes at 11PM in Tokyo. So we ended up spending the night at a hotel in Yokohama because in the Tokyo/Yokohama area now THEY HAVE SOME REALLY EXPENSIVE TAXIS if you’re driving 30 to 45 minutes away!!! Everything is expensive in Japan like the opposite of Thailand but they paid me a lot of COLA, (Cost of Living Allowance). We lived in the Sagamihara District about 30 to 40 minutes outside of downtown Tokyo and our first week in Tokyo we once made the mistake of taking a taxi from the Shinjuku District of Tokyo back home about 30 minutes away and THE TAXI FARE WAS EQUIVALENT TO $175 US DOLLARS!!! I learned that night that if you’re going to be hanging out in downtown Tokyo after the subway train shuts down for the night it’s actually cheaper to just get a little hotel room for the night and then take the train back home in the morning.

When we saw that authentic German Octoberfest going on in Yokohama, Japan we just had to stop! It was irresistible. Because I’ve been to a real Octoberfest before in Frankfurt, Germany once when I stopped in Germany for 3 days on the way back home from my third tour in Afghanistan and it was a blast. We had one guy our Team Sergeant actually that got so hammered drunk he almost missed the flight back to the states when it was time to go. We woke and he was not in his hotel room he disappeared. That was back when I was still in 3rd Special Forces Group. I actually found him because I had remembered the night before I was the last person to see him because we got into a cab together and I told him “hey man I’m really tired and we gotta be up at 3AM to go catch our flight out on time so I’m going back to the hotel to at least catch a few hours of sleep”. Then he told that he was going to some night club in Frankfurt called “The 86”. He was pretty drunk and we had just returned to the civilized world from Afghanistan after almost a year there and that was our third back to back tour in Afghanistan. So everyone really needed a stress release, and my team (ODA) that’s an Operational Detachment Alpha we were coming home missing two teammates who were both killed in Afghanistan on that tour so we were all really depressed about that. So that morning I got into a cab and told the driver to take me to a club called “The 86” and I went and I found him passed out on some girls bed, it turned out that the club 86 was in the red light District and it was apparently some BDSM club. So I woke him up and I said “COME ON MAN OUR FLIGHT IS LEAVING IN ONE HOUR AND I DON’T KNOW ABOUT YOU BUT I AM REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO GOING HOME!” He jumped and was like thank you we rushed back to the airport and we caught our flight JUST IN TIME! At the time I was just an E-6 Staff Sergeant and he was an E-8 Master Sergeant my Team Sergeant meaning my boss. At the time I was still a very junior Weapons Sergeant in Special Forces, I was an 18 Bravo. So he was really embarrassed about where I found him the next morning lol but I kept my mouth shut about it. Although when we got back to the airport our Team Leader the Officer in charge a CPT (O-3) gave him one hell of an ass chewing for a long time at least 20 minutes. He pulled him aside and didn’t chew him out in front of us but I could hear him yelling and saying something about how me the most junior guy on the team had to go find him the most senior guy on the team. But by the time we were on the plane heading home they were buddies again laughing and joking together because everyone understood we had all just got back from hell in Afghanistan for 9 months and we lost a few close friends on that tour so everyone just needed to blow off steam. That morning I was so excited about going home that I was the first one to wake up and I went from room to room in the hotel walking everyone else up on the team. That’s when I discovered that our Team Sergeant was missing from the night before. And I remembered where he said he was going in the cab the night before so I very quickly got another cab and I tracked him down as fast as I could and I found him passed out in some sex club and brought him back. I REALLY WANTED TO GET HOME THAT DAY! And we couldn’t just leave him behind because we didn’t know what happened to him. When we got back him and I laughed and joked about that for weeks at work. But at the time it wasn’t funny at all. Honestly I was very motivated to find him fast because I DID NOT WANT TO MISS OUR FLIGHT I JUST WANTED TO GET HOME!!! After a deployment especially after a combat tour is over all you can think about is just getting home!

After that combat tour in Afghanistan which was my third tour by the end of 2003 I was recruited into a Special Mission Unit based in the Washington, D.C. area. Then in 2008 through 2009 I did my Iraq tour up in Northern Iraq the (Kurdistan) area the Kurdish people were our closest allies in Iraq. Then after my Iraq tour I went back to the headquarters based in the Washington, D.C./Maryland area. I was back in the building for a few weeks, I went to a school for 6 weeks, and then 4 months after I got home from Iraq they selected me to work at one of their forward deployed Field Detachments. So I was assigned to our Field Detachment in Tokyo, Japan in August 2009. I worked in Tokyo, Japan for almost 5 years. I used to travel TDY on business all over Asia especially to Seoul, Korea, and at least once a year I had to go back to our headquarters building TDY on business which was located in a business district between Washington, D.C. and Baltimore, Maryland only 15 minutes away from Fort Meade, Maryland.

Before I was assigned to the Washington, D.C. area and Japan I was assigned to Fort Bragg, NC for the first half of my career and I was in 3rd Special Forces Group on Fort Bragg for most of my time on Fort Bragg, NC. I went through the Special Forces Assessment and Selection (SFAS) course (Selection) when I was still just a really young Soldier in the late 90’s and I got selected and I made it through the Special Forces Qualification Course (SFQC) and I was assigned to the 3rd Special Forces Group on Fort Bragg, NC when I was still just a young Soldier. I was assigned to the 82nd Airborne Division for the first 18 months of my career but I wanted to get the hell out of that place the 82nd SUCKS. And I had always wanted to join Special Forces ever since I was a kid that was the only reason why I volunteered to go to the 82nd was to get to Fort Bragg where the Special Forces School is located, the John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Training Center and School (SWTC). As soon as I was eligible for Special Forces Training I immediately went to their recruiters and I got in pretty young compared to most Special Forces Soldiers at that time. I was trained in the Arabic and Farsi languages. I’ve mostly learned Thai on my own and from my wife but my Thai is pretty good but not 100% fluent.

When I was recruited into the Special Mission Unit based in the Washington, D.C. area I went through a year of school first mostly in Virginia at a base called Camp Perry, Virginia near the city of Williamsburg. Then after my Iraq tour in 2008 through 2009 I was assigned to our forward deployed Field Detachment in Tokyo, Japan. I LOVED TOKYO!!! I never wanted to leave. When my wife and I were living in Tokyo, Japan we would fly down here to Thailand to visit my wife’s family every chance we got. My wife had not seen her family at the time in well over 28 years. My wife grew up here in Thailand but she lived most of her life in the United States ever since she was 17 years old, she came to the United States to work with her Aunt who owned some factories in NC. My wife has been a United States Permanent Resident since 1985 but she’s still a Thai citizen. We met in the United States at a Thai restaurant in North Carolina and we’ve been married for 21 years. I married her young but I was extremely lucky to find the right person the first time. Most of the guys I worked with in Special Forces have been married and divorced between 2 and 4 times. I remember the second when I first saw her the thought “future wife” literally did go through my mind I just somehow knew immediately and I was right. Now almost 22 years later we’re still very happy together. Normally I would not recommend that someone get married as young as I was but finding her was like one in a million chance I just got extremely lucky. And in over 21 years together we’ve never had any problems although I remember one time when we were still living in her old apartment we were arguing about something I don’t even remember what it was now and she walked up behind me and she hit me in the head with a pot LMAO [emoji23]. She didn’t hurt me but it was a surprise and I remember we ended up laughing about it 5 minutes later. So it must not have been anything that bad, I remember I thought about for a second and then it was just funny.

When I was working in Tokyo, Japan we took the subway almost everywhere but I had two cars in Tokyo. And we very rarely ever used taxis in Tokyo because taxis in Tokyo can get seriously expensive like you wouldn’t believe. I had my Chevy Malibu that the government shipped for me for free with the steering wheel on the American side of the car that was interesting driving my American car around Tokyo especially when stopping at Toll Booths lol. The government shipped my Malibu for me for free from Baltimore North Dock and I picked it up in Japan at Yokohama North Dock I believe it was called I do remember that my car did arrive in Yokohama at the dock six weeks later. The shipping cost was free however it cost me almost $4,000 USD to get my Chevy Malibu street legal to drive in Japan. The most expensive part was the emissions test that cost me well over $2,000 USD alone. In Japan they’re very big on vehicle emissions but Japan had probably the cleanest air I’ve ever breathed in this part of the world. And it made my running so much easier in Japan. Then I’d go TDY to Seoul, Korea for a week at a time once a month and the air is so polluted there I got really sick the first time I ever visited Seoul, Korea.

The other car I had in Japan was just some cheap little clunker I bought from someone who was about to PCS out of Japan and he needed to get rid of it fast so he sold it to me for only $900 USD. Just a little Toyota so my wife and I would both have a car because my wife always used to work everywhere we ever lived as well until now because we’re both retired. At that time my wife was working at the Commissary on the local Army base called Camp Zama which is only 30 minutes outside of downtown Tokyo. I was in a Special Mission Unit back then and our headquarters was in the Washington, D.C. area. My detachment had a small office on Camp Zama, Japan and we had another office in downtown Tokyo at Hardy Barracks, and an office in Seoul, Korea. I was assigned to Tokyo, Japan but I worked in Seoul, Korea just as much as I did Japan. I had to go TDY to Seoul, Korea almost every month I lived in Japan for a week at a time. I normally stayed at the JW Marriott hotel in Seoul across from the Han River and the rooms there have a great view of the Han River and the Seoul Tower up in the mountains across the Han River. The only time I ever took a cab in Seoul, Korea was when I once landed at Incheon Airport instead of Gimpo Airport I’m the heart of Seoul. Because Incheon Airport is an hour away from downtown Seoul. I would normally fly from Haneda Airport in downtown Tokyo to Gimpo Airport in downtown Seoul and then rent my car there at Gimpo or I’d rent the car at the Yongsan Army Base in Seoul, Korea. In Tokyo if you are flying around Asia you could fly out of Haneda Airport in downtown Tokyo but actually back in October 2010 they built an International Terminal at Haneda Airport so you can now fly into Haneda Airport from as far away as the United States. In the past the only International Airport in Japan was Narita Airport pretty far outside of Tokyo it’s close to Tokyo Disney Land. Narita airport was like a 3 or 4 hour drive from home Haneda Airport was only a 40 minute drive from home depending on traffic. Actually I used to travel all over this part of the world there are not very many Asian countries that I haven’t been to. I have even been to Shanghai and Beijing, China. Although long story after my last trip to Beijing in 2010 I can never go back to China ever again if I ever did even though I’ve been retired for 5 years there’s a good chance that I’d probably be detained at the airport or at the very minimum get interrogated in secondary for at least several hours. Regardless I have absolutely no desire to ever go back to China ever again anyway.

I went to our forward deployed Field Detachment in Tokyo after my last Iraq tour. In Japan we were issued International Driver’s Permits (IDPs) so whenever I traveled anywhere in the world I could legally rent a car and drive legally. That was interesting as well because in Japan they drive on the left side of the road like they do here. Then I’d take a quick 2 hour flight to Seoul, Korea and rent my car and then I’d be driving on the right side of the road because in South Korea they drive on the right side of the road. And the Japanese drivers are very safe and courteous on the road but driving in Seoul, Korea is almost as dangerous as driving around here in Thailand. It’s little things like that that you have to get used to fast to be able to do the job. That and navigating through the different Asian cities on the road. Back then iPhones were just coming out so I didn’t have Google maps yet and quite often on Operations/missions I wasn’t allowed to even carry my personal cell phone, quite often I’d have to carry a cheap little prepaid “burner phone”. You have to learn the surroundings and directions really fast in not only Tokyo but a lot of Asian cities. So when I first got to Japan my civilian boss my Case Officer showed me around all over the place and we did a lot of traveling my first month in Japan but I was expected to learn very fast which was actually part of my training. I actually bought my first iPhone in Tokyo the old iPhone 3. I remember the Apple Store and the Genius Bar in Tokyo was in the Shibuya District, the Apple Store in the Shibuya area of Tokyo was very helpful. The speaker went out on my old iPhone 3 once in Japan and the Tokyo Apple Store in Shibuya quickly just gave me a brand new phone. I remember our phone company in Japan was SoftBank now I use AIS here in Thailand.

I really loved Japan especially the Tokyo area. I’ve driven up Mt. Fuji before but I never got the chance to climb it and I had always wanted to climb Mt. Fuji. I remember we were driving up Mt. Fuji that day and we made it up to about 10,000 feet elevation almost to the crater which is at 12,500 feet but then some extremely heavy rain started just pouring in up there and my wife was in the car with me and I was actually scared that the road was going to flood and wash us right off the side of the mountain so we turned around before making it to the top, that road was getting very slippery. So we never made it to the top of Mt. Fuji unfortunately. But we got some really good pictures in front of Mt. Fuji. If we ever go back to visit Japan ever again now I physically can’t climb Mt. Fuji because I’m disabled. That’s the one thing I wish I would have done was climb Mt. Fuji but , at least I got the chance to run the Tokyo Marathon and that was my all time favorite Marathon route. The Baltimore Marathon and the Tokyo Marathon were my two favorites. My first marathon was the Marine CORPS Marathon in Washington, D.C. that was a good route, my second marathon was the National Marathon in Washington, D.C., my third marathon was the Baltimore Marathon which was my fastest I ran the Baltimore Marathon in 2:27:34, my fourth marathon was the Bangkok Marathon in November 2010 during our second visit to Thailand I remember they had to start the Bangkok Marathon at 3AM, and my fifty and final marathon was the Tokyo Marathon on the last day of February 2011. The Tokyo Marathon was the straw that finally blew out my right hip although it had been giving me problems long before the Tokyo Marathon. My right hip was hurting so bad that it took me 3:37:54 to finish the Tokyo Marathon which is not a good time for me. A marathon is 42 kilometers (26.2 miles). I’d normally run the first half 21 kilometers (13.1 miles) in between 1:07 and 1:15. I used to be super fast for very long distances. Here in Korat we have a really nice park on the Thai Army Base called Bung Ta Lua and there’s a 5K running trail there, when we used to visit here from Japan almost 10 years ago I USED TO TEAR THAT RUNNING TRAIL UP!!! I’d run 4 laps around it for a total of 20 kilometers (12.5 miles) in about one hour. I used to run 16 kilometers (10 miles) between 50 and 54 minutes depending on if I was having a good day. At Bung Ta Lua there is also a lake and a kaiak rental place so you can take a kaiak out for 50 baht every 30 minutes.

It’s a beautiful place took took fare is never more 120 baht to get there. We normally use took tooks more than taxis.

I never really made it that far outside of Tokyo when we lived there except for once after the 9.0 magnitude mega earthquake on March 11th 2011. We had someone who worked for us who lived in Fukushima that was missing after the giant quake which was the 3rd most powerful earthquake in recorded history. So I flew up there to Fukushima in a Black Hawk helicopter to find her which I volunteered to do but my headquarters in DC told me to be out of there within 4 hours whether I found her or not because of the Fukushima Nuclear Reactor meltdown and leaking radiation that had just occurred. So I had to limit my exposure to the radiation. I actually did not find her but a few weeks later she called us and told us that she had gone back to mainland China. It took her a while to reestablish contact because she had to get a new prepaid burner phone by herself. We thought she was dead for a few weeks after because of the tsunami that washed away Sendai which isn’t very far from Fukushima but she turned up alive and well.

I remember I ran the Tokyo Marathon the last day of February 2011 just a few weeks before the big 9.0 magnitude earthquake on March 11th 2011 the third most powerful earthquake in recorded history. We had lots of earthquakes in Japan usually 6.0 magnitude for only a few seconds. But that day on March 11th 2011 the ground just started rocking and kept getting more powerful and next thing I knew I looked at my watch and 3 minutes went by. Then it finally stopped. For months after we kept getting at least two aftershocks a day some as powerful as 7.0 magnitude, and rolling blackouts every night for months. That was when my right hip blew out on me after that marathon. My hip had started hurting before the Tokyo Marathon but of course I ran it anyway. Then 3 months later I ended up traveling back to Washington, D.C. for 40 days. I ended up having two hip surgeries back in DC the first one was at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, and my second hip surgery was at a civilian hospital the Washington Hospital Center in DC. So that was the beginning of when my body fist started to break down. I medically retired after 21 years of service in 2014.

Now I guess I’m becoming an expert on cab fare in Thailand. By the way Google Nakhon Ratchasima Province and find the city of Korat, it’s most certainly not the “sticks” it’s not the biggest city in Thailand but it’s definitely not that small either. It’s so much easier to get around Korat then Bangkok that’s for sure. Bangkok reminds of New York City a lot, Korat city is approximately the size of Washington, D.C. or Baltimore, Maryland and Korat is also a busy city definitely not as busy as Bangkok though. Korat is a nice place to actually live and immigration here is very nice and a lot smaller not as many foreigners living here. Although the city of Korat is surrounded by rural areas. Basically life in Korat is cheaper and just as much fun and easier.

On 5/10/2019 at 8:41 AM, Vacuum said:

Can this number be used for reporting Thais not doing what they're paid for?

My thoughts exactly, i would often like to employ a Thai to do jobs around our property but, want to charge stupid money ( 1,000 to cut grass ! ), unable to do a good job, often break something else, and as for driving well we all know the answer to that.

13 hours ago, Peterbkk99 said:

Several of my French friends have a very low opinion of the locals in Koh Samui.

Shh dont tell everyone.

13 hours ago, Peterbkk99 said:

Well. That is lucky for us. Many of my Thai friends, as well as quite a few non Thai friends have a very low opinion of some of the French residents/tourists on Koh Samui. (Some are very nice people.)

Please recommend Koh Chang to your French friends as well.

17 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Well. That is lucky for us. Many of my Thai friends, as well as quite a few non Thai friends have a very low opinion of some of the French residents/tourists on Koh Samui. (Some are very nice people.)

Did I just hear the penny drop?????

3 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I understand you are a Koh Samui resident. You just demonstrated my point exactly. lol

21 hours ago, Peterbkk99 said:

Have you been to those Islands or is your opinion based solely on something gleaned from a bloke in a pub?

15 hours ago, evadgib said:

Have you been to those Islands or is your opinion based solely on something gleaned from a bloke in a pub?

I am quite pleased when these blokes in the pub tell muppets like him such stories. Keeps them away from our little island....

15 hours ago, evadgib said:

Experienced first hand. 

But i understand other people have different opinions based on their own experiences. This is great and i respect that.

3 hours ago, huberthammer said:

I am quite pleased when these blokes in the pub tell muppets like him such stories. Keeps them away from our little island....

“When a wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger.” - Confucius

On 5/10/2019 at 8:25 AM, webfact said:

They were discussing the way forward to stop foreigners taking jobs reserved for Thais and causing hardship to Thai people. 

You're causing hardship to yourselves. If you bothered to follow the law and turn on your meters, nobody would use alternate taxi services.

The biggest in your face Samuii vibe spoilers are taxi drivers hanging about in Chaweng high street hassling tourists who are not blind for a ride at a peaceful 0800 hours.

Kill the magic.

Archived