"C'est moi! But I'm not a taxi driver" Frenchman tells Samui cops as Thais urged to rat on foreigners

webfact

52 minutes ago, justin case said:

don't you love  JOBS FOR THAIS,  women for THAIS, corruption for THAIS

maybe if there was GRAB or UBER, you would pay FAIR prices instead the extortion those pesky taxi drivers dare & can ask as there is NO COMPETITION

what about GUIDES that does speak thaiglish you don't understand and again, ask whatever they want

The whole world has seen what happened to the tourists in the phuket tuktuk.....they got beaten up by a large gang of tuktuk and taxidrivers.....

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, webfact said:

But he said that he was just taking friends to the ferry at Nathon.

This could be the truth, but I think he messed things up:

The alleged proof comes in the form of a short video showing a Westerner returning change to a couple of foreign tourists after a trip in a pick-up

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

I wonder who the incompetent one is is this case - Manager Online or the police? The mobile number has one digit missing.

That might reduce the number of Thai snitches!

It is a landline. 077 is the code for Surat Thani

22 minutes ago, Olmate said:

You mean the final farewell dear friend ,that’ll be 400 thanks!

555, I can hear the conversation

I'll give you the number of a ripoff Thai taxi service on the Island - they will charge you 2000baht to go to the ferry or I will do it as a favor to my customers for 400baht

So who is really at fault ?

It seems like mowing your own lawn could come under depriving a Thai of a job.

This has all become rather silly!!

I suppose Thai society is such that Hi-so people always have servants etc to do stuff that they don't want to do, this is probably also like a status symbol. I doubt that are many Thai multi-millionaires that do their own gardening, where that wouldn't be seen as very unusual, in the UK anyway. I think it's partly a cultural thing

10 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

It seems like mowing your own lawn could come under depriving a Thai of a job.

This has all become rather silly!!

I suppose Thai society is such that Hi-so people always have servants etc to do stuff that they don't want to do, this is probably also like a status symbol. I doubt that are many Thai multi-millionaires that do their own gardening, where that wouldn't be seen as very unusual, in the UK anyway. I think it's partly a cultural thing

It is, that has been used to get rid of foreigners here before. 

There's actually a story from someone here on thaivisa where police was checking in on him for doing work on his own house. 

Just now, ThomasThBKK said:

There's actually a story from someone here on thaivisa where police was checking in on him for doing work on his own house. 

Yes, I know. I have an old American friend who was worried that pruning his fruit trees (something that he enjoys and finds therapeutic), could be construed in the same way!!

Worse happens in Europe, I was staying at a hotel in La Gomera, a German staying there had a car and used to take us to the beach in the morning, 3 days later his car was trashed by taxi drivers, the police did nothing.

22 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Would you not offer to help out with the expense?, Olmate?

I’d by him a slab mate, even tho he wouldn’t expect it. Don,t confuse real life with BS story in a cop shop!

13 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

You all ought to live in the countryside, here they like it when you work. I help when the village has its 3 monthly clean up, I work drying rice at harvest time and also work in the fields helping the in-laws, it's almost expected. In Isaan the police and the immigration leave us foreigners in peace, never had any trouble, my sons school even asked me to be a full time English teacher which I turned down as that would be taking the p1ss, they were oblivious of the need for a work permit.

52 minutes ago, smedly said:

555, I can hear the conversation

I'll give you the number of a ripoff Thai taxi service on the Island - they will charge you 2000baht to go to the ferry or I will do it as a favor to my customers for 400baht

So who is really at fault ?

Guessing 2000 baht doesn’t cover sitting in the back of the Ute!! What’s French for road safety?

10 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

You all ought to live in the countryside, here they like it when you work. I help when the village has its 3 monthly clean up, I work drying rice at harvest time and also work in the fields helping the in-laws, it's almost expected. In Isaan the police and the immigration leave us foreigners in peace, never had any trouble, my sons school even asked me to be a full time English teacher which I turned down as that would be taking the p1ss, they were oblivious of the need for a work permit.

LOL.

Tell that to these guys: http://www.buriramtimes.com/bad-guys-out-nearly-500-foreigners-arrested-in-north-east-thailand-immigration-crime-sweep/

Used to feel the same way as you, Soalbundy, but haven't for years. Get on someone's bad side for any reason, people will report you without blinking an eye. All the brainwashing immigration has done about foreigners being a criminal element, people look at foreigners much more suspiciously than in the past. Almost makes me miss some of the dirty looks I used to get from little old ladies in supermarket aisles and parking lots back home.

Perhaps the next time a Thai asks to borrow money interest free, I should explain that I cannot as I would be taking business away from Thai illegal moneylenders. 

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

Maybe somebody say you take job from Thai comedian.

Can't be! There was no "Boioioing" nor a rising whistle sound nor artificial hysteric laughter in the background.

Back in the day we used to use the bophut police in their personal vehicles as taxis into lamai to party. 

They too accepted gas money, and gas station was always a stop along the way. 

They used to seek us out regularly asking if we were heading into town tonight. 

Was a very convenient relationship. 

4 hours ago, Kasane said:

Foreigners, guests in Thailand, should in no way appear to take jobs away from Thai's. 

Correct. When my brother who is 80 comes over for a holiday and we go for a beer I drive and make him walk the half mile to the bar.

This means two things.

1.  I'm not doing a Thai taxi driver out of a possible job.

2.  I fit in with the DUI culture.

5 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Nice witchhunt they started, that's always how it starts. 

I wouldn't want to be a foreigner of any kind living ob Samui. 

Hmm,...I used to stay several months a year on Samui and had lot's of friends there. when returning for a couple of weeks a few years ago I noticed most of my friends left the island and moved to other places.

Most of them where disgusted with how the island and it's inhabitants had evolved....

Surely the police should also look at the Taxi prices on the Island which rip off every foreigner who goes there and innocently uses the government authorised taxi service. On my one occasion I went there, the USD50 journey was so short, I was shocked and angry as I thought the journey would last longer than 7 minutes for the price.  The authorities should be looking into taxi competition and fairer prices. Due to the ludicrous cost of airfares to the Island from Bangkok combined with the legalised theft from taxi drivers, I avoid Samui as there are far better value places to visit in Thailand. 

Archived