My kid just got the lowest mark possible for English in his school report

15 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Why keep him there now? Are there no alternative school options?

My breeding strategy is to reproduce as often as possible while minimising expense (5 so far). Thai government school closest to my house works for me.

I understand others want to lavish all their resources on one or two, but that doesn't work as far as I can see, the more you give them, the less they like you.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

The reason to worry is that it can affect the student's confidence and future performance.

affecting one's confidence and future performance is not only based on the school/teacher, it's mainly caused by the overall environment in Thailand

On 5/11/2019 at 8:57 AM, david555 said:

Same experience I had , my Thai girl friend told me once she understand my English (I am a non English native ) better tan the English from real native English speakers … especially British English speakers , I think it has to do with the local English from those , as they see it as normal common English language , but even I had some problems to follow a conversation with a English table mate in bar , as too much local lingo in it so must ask to repeat ….I have no problem to follow English news on Television …, as long it was not "coronation street English" :tongue: .

BTW I don't have any problem with American English from wherever state (thanks to Hollywood )…. unless the hilly Billy tribe American English...:wink:

I don’t know about that, I had a very hard time understanding June Cleaver in the movie Airplane.

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:19 PM, jak2002003 said:

If you listen to the news reports, or times when more formal or polite speaking / conversation is needed you will hear that most Thai people can indeed pronounce R's and L's perfectly.

A proper qualified Thai teacher will most definitely be able to teach English properly. 

R's and L's yes, try getting them to pronounce V's or Z's.  

On 5/11/2019 at 12:19 PM, jak2002003 said:

If you listen to the news reports, or times when more formal or polite speaking / conversation is needed you will hear that most Thai people can indeed pronounce R's and L's perfectly.

A proper qualified Thai teacher will most definitely be able to teach English properly. 

The Laos speaking Thai population don't get jobs reading the news.

Daddy needs to be wealthy connected Siam Bangkok Thai for them to get those jobs.

On 5/11/2019 at 2:49 AM, impulse said:

I don't know how it is in Thailand, but a neighbor in China asked me if I could help her son in English class.  I perused the material and some sample questions (with answers) and told her that my help would be useless- in fact, counterproductive.  He doesn't need my help.  He needs better teaching materials.  Sooooo many errors.

You have reminded me , in our last house I found an English school book , the sort where you pick out the right answer and tick the box. On one page was written   ' opposite of up  answer down . Ok also written was

Opposite of back , answer was .....chest.  Yep ...so opposite of back was NOT front.

8 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Why keep him there now? Are there no alternative school options?

Because it's where I work. And he is my student this year again (M4). Good lord lol. Top tier schools are out of the question. My school is an EP in a private school. Most of our graduates seem to get into decent programs, so I think he can make it. He will most likely finish high school where he is and they study in an International program here. Thereafter, it's up to him. He can go back to OZ after if he likes and do further study. He could have gone to OZ to finish high school, but only my elderly mother is there to look after him. I didn't think it was a good idea. 

BMT's son is probably better at English than the teacher, which causes the teacher to lose face in front of the class. Not much to be done apart from for changing schools. The school is not going to admit a teacher is incompetent.

17 hours ago, jtrump said:

R's and L's yes, try getting them to pronounce V's or Z's.  

That's true, but that is because they don't have these sounds in their native language or alphabet at all.

I am sure they think the same about us farangs not being able to pronounce the ngor ngoo or the bpor bplaa… and many of their other letters, as well as us getting all their tones wrong lol.

Having a Thai person teach English would be and same as having an English person teaching Thai.

I don't really see the problem here... because in a few years they will all be speaking Chinese anyway and forgetting about English.  

Archived