Keeping the bad guys out! Thais spending 2.1 BILLION baht on biometrics

webfact

Keeping the bad guys out! Thais spending 2.1 BILLION baht on biometrics

9pm.jpg

Thai immigration hope by spending 2.1 billion baht on biometric technology they will be able to keep the bad guys out of Thailand. 

Too many on blacklists have been changing their names and passports and sneaking back into the Land of Smiles. 

Now those days may be gone with the 2000 new facial recognition and fingerprint analysis machines that will replace old technology at 170 sea, land and airport borders nationwide. 

The machines will also find their way into immigration offices. 

Yesterday at Phuket International Airport the press were invited by Lt-Gen Tinaphat Phumarin and many police and immigration bigwigs for a demonstration of the fancy new tech. 

They were joined by a representative of the private company responsible for the machines - Mr Gunther Mull of Dermalog, an award winning German company. 

The machines are expecting to be up and running by July 1st. 

However Thaivisa notes that the project has already been beset by delays.

According to contracts if there are any further delays past July 1st the Thais can charge the company 4 million baht a day for lateness in completing the contract. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-10

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, webfact said:

According to contracts if there are any further delays past July 1st the Thais can charge the company 4 million baht a day for lateness in completing the contract. 

And if works they will pay the company on July 2nd.

Maybe, hopefully.

Always courageous to do business with Thai government agencies.

7 minutes ago, webfact said:

The machines are expecting to be up and running by July 1st. 

Were gambling allowed I would stake my shirt on it not being ready anywhere near that date.  And anything else I had left would go on there being serious cost over runs too. Some people will be getting very rich out of this overpriced introduction I am sure.

19 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Were gambling allowed I would stake my shirt on it not being ready anywhere near that date.  And anything else I had left would go on there being serious cost over runs too. Some people will be getting very rich out of this overpriced introduction I am sure.

that happens any time the government buys any big machinery (military, IMO computers, police cars and so forth) a police guy living not far from my place got a new bike 7-8 months ago, he never used it, still on/under his carport full of dust

What chance have they got to be able to operate it? years after introducing 90 day online report is still works only sometimes, for some people using restricted software. Like all 'improvements' to immigration here it will only make the waits longer.

I would be curious to see if they know how to use such a system. I wonder what will happen to the few unfortunate folks that physically can't get their fingerprint read.

It would not be very surprising if they just ditch it after a brilliant local engineering intern redesign the system to make it unusable. Maybe the BOI will have good insight on this problem.

3 minutes ago, yokat said:

I wonder what will happen to the few unfortunate folks that physically can't get their fingerprint read.

The same as happens in the US or Singapore, both of which already take fingerprints, I would imagine.  The accompanying news story already says it's the same system as used in Singapore

32 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

that happens any time the government buys any big machinery (military, IMO computers, police cars and so forth)

Maybe they are trying to keep up with the inflated prices the USA (& other EC countries!) government pays its suppliers, NASA is supposed to be one of the biggest offenders in this arena!

And what is the real criteria based on for not letting someone back in? As in conviction here for anything? Or a conviction with jailtime? Late TM30 or numerous late 90 day check ins?

Conviction in the persons own country? Conviction and jail time in the persons own country?

What do they exactly consider a bad guy?

With a bit of luck this will necessitate an upgrade to the overall Immigration systems, making the 90 day and Online address reporting service more reliable. I believe that they still manually input the info from TM6 cards as well. Let's see.

1 hour ago, Psimbo said:

Oh dear- progress and all people can do is knock it.

What a sad life some lead. 

This sort of progress can be totally twisted against some harmless person who did nothing so wrong. Sort of works that way here.

4 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

I wonder what the actual cost is ?

2.1 billion baht would be the 'budget' for the equipment, with many pockets filled too.

2,100,000,000 divide by 

The 2000 new facial recognition and fingerprint analysis machines

and you get a good idea.. 

They could save a big part of this money, by just asking a police clearing from the foreigners  by entering the country , especially for visa exempt or visa on arrival  ( as a "on the run one" would use this more than a visa ), Police clearance (or other naming ) is free online to obtain in my E.U. country at short notice 

1 minute ago, Destiny1990 said:

Thailand used to spend money on marketing for getting foreigners in but nowadays they are spending big money for keeping foreigners out.

Something changed.

Normal behavior if you see the wrong guest's are coming :whistling::ermm:

3 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

You are referring about yourself I assume otherwise i have no clue what wrong guest you’re talking about.

So no wrong guest's ….? How many taken already last years since the computers become more accurate in using them 

Shall I show you my police rapport ...but blanket the name …., I have it do you ?

Archived