applying for Swiss schengen, are VFS services necessary?

It's been a long time since I applied for any visa (since received an Oz passport basically), so fell behind in my knowledge and skills. Now my wife needs Swiss visa and she keeps mentioning VFS, which I'd never heard of until today. 

Question: is it a requirement to apply via VFS or one can simply show up at the embassy?  Does it take much longer to apply w/o VFS's assistance? I see lots of negative feedback about them, and from their website I cannot grasp nature and usefulness of their services, considering that for a Schengen visa everyone has to show up in person anyway (for biometrics).

Switzerland does not work with VFS.

All services are provided at the "Regional Consular Center" (nothing different from the consular office at the embassy) at North Wireless rd.

"Regional": for Thailand, Malaysia, Laos, Myanmar.

I can't tell whether your wife can simply show up without appointment.

But I don't think so as I remember that Thai people had to present their ID checked against a list at the gate.

https://www.eda.admin.ch/countries/thailand/en/home/visa/entry-ch.html

I usually got proper response on questions via email (as Swiss asking about passport renewal).

Switzerland does use VFS to handle visa applications, if you wish to apply directly to the Consulate you must make an appointment, via VFS, applicants cannot just pitch up.

This is the advice from the Swiss Consulate.

“In general all applications for a Schengen Visa must be personally submitted at our external service provider VFS Global. The service fee levied by VFS Global is currently THB 668.00.

Applicants who do not wish to submit their application at VFS Global can submit it at the Regional Consular Center Bangkok. In both cases, an appointment is mandatory and must be booked in advance through the website VFS Global. If no appointment was made in advance, neither VFS Global nor the Regional Consular Center Bangkok will accept a visa application." 

https://www.eda.admin.ch/countries/thailand/en/home/visa/entry-ch/up-90-days/where-to-apply-schengen.html

Yes is a must to apply with VFS in sathorn City Tower but make sure your documents are complete and double check and ask that office they just collect the money and they don't care about the rest about the Swiss embassy is for Swiss nationals 

Thanks folks, very helpful!

Another question on topic: they ask to show PRE-booked flight tickets, as I understand, not every airline allows this nowadays, how to go about that requirement? 

Same question about insurance: they require insurance to be purchased prior visa application, how can one get a refund for insurance policy in case his/her visa is not approved?

1 hour ago, andreww said:

Thanks folks, very helpful!

Another question on topic: they ask to show PRE-booked flight tickets, as I understand, not every airline allows this nowadays, how to go about that requirement? 

Same question about insurance: they require insurance to be purchased prior visa application, how can one get a refund for insurance policy in case his/her visa is not approved?

I shouldn't worry to much about it, unless there is criminal activity or you make a mistake there is little chance of rejection. Your wife will be the applicant and when it comes to the question on who is paying the costs, tick "other" and provide a letter saying you will be travelling together and funding all costs.

You did not mention your nationality, if you were a Swiss national with Oz passport you could probably still travel under the freedom of movement which means less paperwork and a free visa. 

On 5/10/2019 at 1:23 PM, andreww said:

Now my wife needs Swiss visa and she keeps mentioning VFS, which I'd never heard of until today. 

On 5/10/2019 at 2:54 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Switzerland does not work with VFS.

Sorry for the mostly wrong info.

Must have missed something.

As a Swiss citizen I could get a separate treatment for my wife (at least from what they wrote some time ago).

In 2017 I was standing at the gate waiting for afternoon opening and some Thai women did so too.

Seems they all go through VFS now.

The Germans will start sometime this year.

I’m assuming the OP is Australian, you mention an Oz passport, do you hold any other nationality, possibly one that might entitle you wife for a free and expedited visa under the free movement Directive?
KhunBENZ is partially right, the OP’s wife can submit her application directly, but she needs to make an appointment, as she would with VFS, this facility is not just for partners of Swiss Nationals.
There are a number of Thai insurers who will refund any premium if an application for a Schengen Visa is refused.
The Visa Section require details of flights in and out of Schengen, but go onto advise applicants not to purchase a ticket until the visa is issued.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

22 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Sorry for the mostly wrong info.

Must have missed something.

As a Swiss citizen I could get a separate treatment for my wife (at least from what they wrote some time ago).

In 2017 I was standing at the gate waiting for afternoon opening and some Thai women did so too.

Indeed things change as morw and more embassies partially outsource work. Same procedure for all, Swiss or otherwise : you can chose between handing in the paperwork and doing biometrics at 1) vfs office for a service fee 2) at the embassy without such fee. Both appointments go via VFS.

OP:

As for bookings: larger airliners should still offer options/reservations for free or a small fee. Those generally expire after a few days or weeks if you don't purchase the ticket but that's fine.

Visa medical insurances which are approved by the Schengen embassies should all have the policy of refunding the fee incase of visa denial. The insurance must be purchased before applying at the embassy or optional service provider VFS.

On 5/12/2019 at 8:03 AM, KhunBENQ said:

For Germany the Schengen application can be done on paper or using their online system called VIDEX.

As far as I am aware the VIDEX system can only be handled by the German embassy.

When I did it the VIDEX system was unable to handle family of EU citizen but that may have been sorted.

Archived