AIS Fibre upgraded to 200/100 but no faster than before

Mike45

My service has been the 100 / 50. I was given a free upgrade to the 200 / 100.

I've tried the speedtest.net from ubon ratchathani to ayuthaya and the tested speed is 96 down and 92 up. I complained to AIS and they opened a request yesterday for me and I got a text message today saying that they resolved my problem and they've closed my request.

I did the test again and I still get the same results.

when I do the test choosing a server in the United States I get 10 down and 8 up.

I'm not happy with these speeds is there anything I can do about it to get it to work faster?

AFIK advertised speeds are only guaranteed from your computer to the ISP so other locations can vary.

Also make sure you have only one computer linked when you test. I have several computers. If only one is turned on then I get my full 50Mb easily. More than one, or all, drops my service to exactly 30Mb/s. I am hard wired to my AIS modem at 500Gb/s so the slow down seems to be AIS dropping service to 30 when they see more than one computer. 

48 minutes ago, Mike45 said:

I've tried the speedtest.net from ubon ratchathani to ayuthaya and the tested speed is 96 down and 92 up. I complained to AIS and they opened a request yesterday for me and I got a text message today saying that they resolved my problem and they've closed my request.

Question 1 - Does your modem/ router have a 1 GB ethernet connection?

Question 2 - Does your desktop or laptop PC have a 1 GB ethernet connection?

1 hour ago, rabas said:

I am hard wired to my AIS modem at 500Gb/s

Are you sure about that ?

1 hour ago, aidenai said:

Question 1 - Does your modem/ router have a 1 GB ethernet connection?

Question 2 - Does your desktop or laptop PC have a 1 GB ethernet connection?

Those are the very good questions.  even if the  Ethernet ports are "Gigabit" speed capable they can often negotiate down to a slower 100Mbps speed   which can be due to a bad cable or  driver/software problems.

5 hours ago, rabas said:

AFIK advertised speeds are only guaranteed from your computer to the ISP so other locations can vary.

Also make sure you have only one computer linked when you test. I have several computers. If only one is turned on then I get my full 50Mb easily. More than one, or all, drops my service to exactly 30Mb/s. I am hard wired to my AIS modem at 500Gb/s so the slow down seems to be AIS dropping service to 30 when they see more than one computer. 

I think you meant hardwired at 50Mb vs 500Gb/s.

OP, 

Are you doing the test with your computer being hardwired to the router....or are you doing it via Wifi?  If using Wifi, try testing again with a hardwire (ethernet) connection between your computer and router.   And be sure your computer's ethernet connection is a 1Gb port and not a 100Mb port.   I expect your router has 1Gb ports.

14 hours ago, johng said:

Those are the very good questions.  even if the  Ethernet ports are "Gigabit" speed capable they can often negotiate down to a slower 100Mbps speed   which can be due to a bad cable or  driver/software problems.

True that.

Question 3 - Does your ethernet cable between the modem/ router support 1 GB (CAT 5e/ CAT6)?

In addition to the GbE issue, on the PC, as the modem definitely has four GbE ports, make sure AIS has truly re-provisioned your network connection.

Could be a cable issue as well.

Given the OP is getting ~ 90 up my guess is that he has been re-provisioned but has an ethernet issue (port, firmware, driver, cable) limiting DL to 100 Mbps.

Go into Task Manager, Performance, choose Ethernet, monitor while doing a speedtest.

AIS 200/100 Bangkok, nPerf 

ais_200_100_BKK_03.jpg

I also got the same upgrade to 200/100 Mbs from AIS

And speedtest showed the similar result as 92/90 via 5G WIFI.

I checked my network as below:

1, Gpon has Giga port    YES

2, The wire connect the Gpon and my router support Giaga speed    YES

3, My router's WAN port only up to 100M    NO

4, My computer has Giga port     YES

5, My computer's WIFI card support 5G up to 500M    YES

So I bought a new router with Giga support feature and the router is on the way ????????

So I bought a new router with Giga support feature and the router is on the way [emoji23][emoji23]
Its weird that your router's WAN is only 100 while other ports are Giga. Normally all should be gigabit.

1 minute ago, shady86 said:

Its weird that your router's WAN is only 100 while other ports are Giga. Normally all should be gigabit.

He said it was "not" a 100Mb port meaning a 1Gb port....but the way he worded I 

20 minutes ago, runox said:

So I bought a new router with Giga support feature and the router is on the way ????????

Where you say your router's WAN port only up to 100Mb: NO.  I guess that means it was a 1Gb WAN port.  If so, why buy another router?

10 hours ago, shady86 said:

Beleive runox is running the AIS kit in bridge mode, and using an AC54U as his primary router. This older model only supports 10/100 on the wired ethernet ports.

Obviously his AIS GPON/router supports GbE. So his uplink from his primary router is GbE, but the conneciton on the secondary router is limited to 100BaseT

A lot of people are using these older routers, maybe beause of the CFW feature-set, or nostaligia? Not an issue relaly until your ISP starts offer speeds above 100 Mbps.

On 5/11/2019 at 7:08 AM, aidenai said:

True that.

Question 3 - Does your ethernet cable between the modem/ router support 1 GB (CAT 5e/ CAT6)?

I read the list of things to investigate and these are the results.

My PC is connected by 5E Ethernet cable to the AIS supplied 2.4 G, 5 G router.

My NIC was only 10/100 so I replaced it. 

It appears that the Giga NIC is negotiating to 100MB.

I'm hoping these new photos answer the other questions.

20190512_132333.jpg

20190512_131754.jpg

20190512_131603.jpg

20190512_131318.jpg

9 minutes ago, Mike45 said:

try another/new cable   also try going to control panel, devices and delete Ethernet 3   then search for new hardware and let windows find and install the hardware again.

2 hours ago, Mike45 said:

Your PC's MB doesn't have an ethernet connection? How old is it?

What is the MB make & model? Latest FW installed?

Could be some inherent limitations with the MB, and its FW & Windows drivers? Or an issue with the NIC drivers?

I'd also triple-check the cable in a known good installation where possible.

What is the AIS router make & model number?

Do you have the PC connected directly to the AIS router? Assume you're not using a secondary router? Maybe describe your network configuration if it is anything unique.

Check NIC Speed & Duplex setting, normally Auto Negotiation is required, I think? But maybe toggle it to 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex. Reboot.

Is your cable connection unusually long?

dlinknic.jpg

3 hours ago, johng said:

try another/new cable   also try going to control panel, devices and delete Ethernet 3   then search for new hardware and let windows find and install the hardware again.

Not to confuse the situation BUT

I have another PC in the house. Its upstairs and its connected to this same router with Cat 6 cable. It shows the NIC is connected  at 1GB. 

Its a newer PC and I tried the speedtest and got this

result.https://www.speedtest.net/result/8252292674.png

I'm not sure if that shared the results or not. 

It was 132 download and 114 upload to Korat

18 download and 3 upload to New York USA

Change the DNS setting on your notebook, I was having awful speed issues with True fiber internet, changed the DNS yesterday and it’s all hunky dory again..... google changing DNS to see what I’m banging on about 

3 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

Change the DNS setting on your notebook, I was having awful speed issues with True fiber internet, changed the DNS yesterday and it’s all hunky dory again..... google changing DNS to see what I’m banging on about 

Or just change them in the router, that's what most folks do?

Log in to the router, if a Huawei (AIS Fiber) go to Network Application, Choose DNS Configuration, enter Google DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, save, reboot.

Then every device...well you get the picture.

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Or just change them in the router, that's what most folks do?

Log in to the router, if a Huawei (AIS Fiber) go to Network Application, Choose DNS Configuration, enter Google DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, save, reboot.

Then every device...well you get the picture.

Didn’t know you could do it on the router, that’s great news... I’ll get onto that 

On 5/12/2019 at 7:00 AM, mtls2005 said:

Beleive runox is running the AIS kit in bridge mode, and using an AC54U as his primary router. This older model only supports 10/100 on the wired ethernet ports.

Obviously his AIS GPON/router supports GbE. So his uplink from his primary router is GbE, but the conneciton on the secondary router is limited to 100BaseT

A lot of people are using these older routers, maybe beause of the CFW feature-set, or nostaligia? Not an issue relaly until your ISP starts offer speeds above 100 Mbps.

I am sorry I didn't clarify my network topology.

Actually I got two units from AIS several years ago, including a GPoN and a router.

I kept the GPoN and replaced the AIS router with my own router (AC54U).

So in my case the point is the router, AC54U's wan and all LAN ports both only support 10/100M.

And you are definitely right that before AIS upgrade my plan to 200/100 Mbps, everything is fine, PT download speed is around 3~5MB/s,Videoplay @ 1080p over WLAN is OK, etc.????????

I'm a little curious as to what prompted you to look into an issue that you perceived was due to insufficient bandwidth.  Are you trying to pull a file over the internet and expecting its transfer speed to match your service bandwidth?  Because that's unlikely ever to happen.

My brothers inlaw all like to connect to some Japanese/anime provider in [I forget what country] and they always complain that "the internet is slow".  They demanded their father upgrade from a 20Mbps package to a 50M fiber.  There was, of course, no change in performance because the perceived slowness is due to latency, not bandwidth.

Now I've got this 50Mbps pipe to my desktop, and literally nothing I could do on my computer that would ever come close to making use of all that.  

Having said that, have you looked into possible latency issues between you and the target server?

I think people just want to see if they're getting what they pay for.

That said, many people have LANs on their premise for which GbE (on the router) helps: media streaming, NAS, etc.

And some people may want to stream 4K Netflix.

And some homes have three, four, more users.

Do I need 200/100? Maybe not. Am I saturating the connection 7x24? No. Do I get 1080 files in less than a minute? Yep.

aisdl.jpg

Archived