Plastic waste on bypass road

SoilSpoil

Just drove from Prachuap to Bangkok and felt horrified to see all the plastic waste on the bypass road. Plastic bags and waste everywhere like I'd never seen before. Same situation in the Ban Saphan area. Whats going on?

21 minutes ago, SoilSpoil said:

Plastic bags and waste everywhere like I'd never seen before. Same situation in the Ban Saphan area. Whats going on?

Nothing really. This has been going on since they  started to use plastic in Thailand.

This time of year, at least further North/NE, we get strong wind and rain squalls, which, in part, re-distributes light weight trash from existing roadside rubbish heaps, to new areas.

Same thing in the ME/Gulf region once a year, wind changes direction, dislodging plastic bags and bits stuck in weeds, chain link fencing, etc., and blows it off to collect in another leeward direction. 

On 5/10/2019 at 2:58 PM, Vacuum said:

Nothing really. This has been going on since they  started to use plastic in Thailand.

Not just in Thailand. But perhaps it's a resultant of more recently changing from natural bio-degradable packaging.

1st world countries have had more time to obscure their pollution from public view. It's still there though. Reducing plastic waste needs to be addressed by the producers of plastic packaging. Not the end user who has limited choice as a consumer.

Most of my plastic waste comes from vendor packaging not plastic straws and bags from 7-11.

Back home when one would take a drive up the mountains it was common to see the same thing. Rubbish of all types...from old washing machines, beds and God knows what. 

Wherever there are "humans" you will find this?

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Back home when one would take a drive up the mountains it was common to see the same thing. Rubbish of all types...from old washing machines, beds and God knows what. 

Wherever there are "humans" you will find this?

I dont know where your 'back home' is, but my home country is spic and span. Litter, fly tip, or burn garbage can lead to hefty fines.

11 minutes ago, UKJASE said:

the amount of litter strewn all over this beautiful country is heartbreaking

Some areas I have came across out in the Mountains here in CM look apocalyptic... with huge amounts of dumped rubbish, rusting fridges, old mattresses, paint cans, plastic junk, broken up concrete, and surrounding it all the black and burnt forest.... oh and the odd illegal red dirt quarry with trucks thundering up and down to them making clouds of dust smother the remaining trees and plants.  

Frequently drive from ch am to bkk and the accumulation of garbage is terrible but it is clearly a much bigger problem where there is a petrol station as much of the garbage is red and white from that revolting anerican fast offel outlet  (may be 100%beef but they will not tell you which parts of a cow go in it ) there are anti litter laws here but as the police cant enforce driving (life threatening ) standards they are unlikely to see litter as a big crime unless the litter is on an overstay 

what if we take pictures of any excessive trash we see  and post it here on a thread ... it will make the government aware of the areas .. and maybe shame them into cleaning, or solving the problem  

18 hours ago, ifmu said:

what if we take pictures of any excessive trash we see  and post it here on a thread ... it will make the government aware of the areas .. and maybe shame them into cleaning, or solving the problem  

Hmmmm. A good thought at first blush. However, publicly and consciously shaming this government might be hazardous to your freedom. Ineffective in any event I suspect.

Although folks here enjoy certain privacy and freedoms not available to citizens of 'democratic' countries, criticizing the government is not one of them.

On 5/13/2019 at 10:12 AM, SoilSpoil said:

I dont know where your 'back home' is, but my home country is spic and span. Litter, fly tip, or burn garbage can lead to hefty fines.

When we lived in Great Britain my mother in-law visited. On an excursion to Oxford we drove on the A1 from Bedford. She opined that she would love to live in the area. When questioned, her reply was because of all the plastic littering the sides of the highway. A wonderful place for those that want to make a living from recycling.

Admittedly it was March at the time.

Pollution from many media is a worldwide problem which has to be addressed. The repercussions of uncontrolled expanse of plastic use weren't effectively addressed. Leaving the problem for future generations whilst making a fine profit. I'm of an age that I remember the initial selling point of plastics was to save the trees and the environment.

Sound familiar?

Archived