Massive corals off Rayong start bleaching

webfact

Massive corals off Rayong start bleaching

By The Thaiger

PHOTOS: Thon Thamrongnawasawat

60050693_2740510565964129_53065706970976

Massive and aged corals have started to bleach off the coast of Rayong in the Gulf of Thailand.

Dr Thon Thamrongnawasawat, assistant dean of the Faculty of Fisheries at Kasetsart University and a marine biologist says, “The coral in Rayong has started to bleach. From a bird eye view we can see clearly the white coral around around the rocks under the water. ”

“These are massive corals which are bleaching very quickly. Normally this kind of coral takes a long time to bleach and react to the changes in temperature and environment.”

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/massive-corals-off-rayong-start-bleaching

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-05-10

Quite small changes in water temp will cause bleaching - this may be due to hot weather, run-off into rivers or pollution from nearby metro-chemical industries.

Some corals an recover from bleaching if the temp return, others may take loner or never come back.

nearly 20% of all the worlds coral reefs are now dead......... reefs play a vey important part in an eco-system that runs from the deep ocean right onto the land. fishermen at Rayong have already complained about the collapse of fishing in the area and reefs and mangroves are essential for maintaining fish populations.

The Gulf is fast becoming the cesspit of Asia. This won't be helped by the massive mega-projects and industrial expansion planned for Rayong and neighboring Changwats.

This guy can't even be bothered to stick a snorkel in his mouth and go for a swim to have a proper look, never mind donning full scuba gear. Why not just sit in his nicely air-conditioned office and check out the images on Google Earth, I'm sure they'll show it clearly too. Academic laziness is just a way of life in Thailand.

38 minutes ago, Guderian said:

This guy can't even be bothered to stick a snorkel in his mouth and go for a swim to have a proper look, never mind donning full scuba gear. Why not just sit in his nicely air-conditioned office and check out the images on Google Earth, I'm sure they'll show it clearly too. Academic laziness is just a way of life in Thailand.

The photo credit shows his name, meaning he did the photos himself.

There's clearly a boat there in the picture so they must have gone there.

There's a second photo that is UNDERWATER and also his credit.

????‍♂️

1 hour ago, ThomasThBKK said:

The photo credit shows his name, meaning he did the photos himself.

There's clearly a boat there in the picture so they must have gone there.

There's a second photo that is UNDERWATER and also his credit

I have learnt from experience taking the credit for something in Thailand most certainly is no guarantee of doing it oneself!!

9 hours ago, Guderian said:

So you are saying there is no bleaching?

9 hours ago, Guderian said:

I think you could read this....

https://www.nature.com/polopoly_fs/1.20004!/menu/main/topColumns/topLeftColumn/pdf/534013a.pdf?origin=ppub

Its pretty common to survey reefs from above as it gives a better overall picture. Underwater down on the reef you can't see the "wood for the trees"

Archived