Biometrics system to be used to scan travellers

rooster59

Next Thailand implements sexy ankle bracelets and cancels 90 day reporting and crayons to diagram our location, which they still can't follow directions...idiots!!!!

...Maybe they'll cancel the 800/400K (money laundering) we pay for the "privilege" of living in Elysium...NOT!! 

Ankle+Bracelet.jpg

On 5/10/2019 at 9:20 PM, rooster59 said:

The biometrics device can scan any facelifted suspects and fingerprints which cannot be changed, thus raising the confidence of travelers in the airport’s safety measures.

How? Its more about what is done once the individual is identified as someone being sought. If they are reckless it increases the likelihood of confrontation and collateral damage.

On 5/11/2019 at 5:46 PM, 007 RED said:

I can't speak for what China has, or has not, but Thai Immigration have been using facial recognition ‘on-the-streets’ for several months now. 

I am aware that there are others deployed around the country, but the photos below show 2 brand new BMWs based at the Nakhon Pathom Immigration office, each fitted with tilt/pan/zoom cameras on the roof.

The camera is connected to an on-board computer which is linked to the Immigration database.  Remember the photo that the IO took of you when you arrived or applied for your extension of stay.  The feedback is displayed on the officer’s screen almost instantaneously– your photo plus any relevant comments e.g. overstay etc.

I’ll give you one guess where the system was obtained from…. Got it in one… MIC.

20190122_124515-iv.jpg

20190122_124601-iv.jpg

20190122_124532-iv.jpg

So these 2 cars are being used by Google Maps  ????

Do they do outdoor weddings also?

Well that's charming. Biometrics on entry to Thailand. Compounded by the stringent requirements for residency it looks like Thailand is starting to become much more regulated and authoritarian than some of the Western nations that expats have fled from. Makes you wonder what the long term attraction will be for visiting and living there. Your identification on some Thai ?? (maybe Interpol) database forever.

Nothing to worry about if you're honest? Well maybe - but it's just another vehicle to keep tabs on everyone and who knows - data sharing globally.

6 minutes ago, Melbun said:

Biometrics on entry to Thailand. Compounded by the stringent requirements for residency it looks like Thailand is starting to become much more regulated and authoritarian than some of the Western nations that expats have fled from

You mean like the USA which has been capturing biometric data at airports for visitors for at least 15 years?

1 minute ago, mikebell said:

They'll break it within a month or fail to maintain it or put diesel in it or fail to plug it in.  

Don't know. You are funny, but making assumptions. You can buy a 2 TB HDD for next to nothing.

5 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

"Percussive maintenance" is a Thai speciality

You will scoff. But the Thai's are not as ignorant as some believe.

e.g purchasing / updating sim card now requires a passport id. Everyone was warned - now it's law.

2 minutes ago, Melbun said:

But the Thai's are not as ignorant as some believe.

e.g purchasing / updating sim card now requires a passport id.

That's not ignorance - it's the obsessions of an authoritarian government.  Besides, they require "an" ID - just send some Thai you know down to the nearest 7-11 and you'll soon have your SIM card and it won't be tied to you

6 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

That's not ignorance - it's the obsessions of an authoritarian government.  Besides, they require "an" ID - just send some Thai you know down to the nearest 7-11 and you'll soon have your SIM card and it won't be tied to you

OK - go find a Thai that is willing to share a cell in the monkey house with you:)) -

9 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

They know the system's a joke - don't you? TiT

The fact is you are a white boy - my boy !! and fair game. Don't worry about Thai's knowing and working the system - question again - want to spend some time in the Thai monkey house for doing unlawful Thai things ?

Biometrics is already used in many countries and I would guess in about 5 years every country will have it in use for the immigration entry procedure. Like it or not, this and other things are part of the future. If it will help to reduce the paperwork and speed up things I cant really complain about something that is implemented here that we have back home as well.  People always complain about how backward things are here and then have a go a the government as well when they do something which is in line with what more developed countries do.

As a side note, it already posing some issues. Samui had it since early December. On my first arrival all was working. 2 Weeks later it seemed two of the 6 machines were already broken and no finger prints were taken. Reminded me very much of how it all went wrong in Malaysia initially with hardware/software failures.

I later also heard that a few people with dual nationality/passports who would alternatively use them to get away with visa on arrival got busted already. I guess this is progress, benefits us in one way but eliminates working the system and it's loopholes.

Thailand's government are frightening in their apparent desire to control and dominate.  But they also have this precious, cute side to me amidst this: they're like a little child trying on their older siblings' or parents' clothing and looking at themselves in the mirror.  

"The big boys have it, so if I have it, I'm a big boy too!"

This, somehow endearingly, despite the fact that the shirt is on backwards and inside out and the underwear is on outside the trousers.

Ya gotta laugh a little, or you'll cry.  

5 minutes ago, huberthammer said:

Biometrics is already used in many countries and I would guess in about 5 years every country will have it in use for the immigration entry procedure. Like it or not, this and other things are part of the future. If it will help to reduce the paperwork and speed up things I cant really complain about something that is implemented here that we have back home as well.  People always complain about how backward things are here and then have a go a the government as well when they do something which is in line with what more developed countries do.

As a side note, it already posing some issues. Samui had it since early December. On my first arrival all was working. 2 Weeks later it seemed two of the 6 machines were already broken and no finger prints were taken. Reminded me very much of how it all went wrong in Malaysia initially with hardware/software failures.

I later also heard that a few people with dual nationality/passports who would alternatively use them to get away with visa on arrival got busted already. I guess this is progress, benefits us in one way but eliminates working the system and it's loopholes.

Stop being so logical :)) "like it or not....." - I don't like any invasion in my privacy. I know I'm a dinosaur but if more people complained instead of being passively swept along with the masses, maybe authorities would be more consultative. I always understood fingerprinting and photographing was for criminals. Now, any traveler is an assumed criminal. Our rights and freedoms are being eroded in the guise of keeping terrorists and criminals out.

1 minute ago, Melbun said:

Stop being so logical :)) "like it or not....." - I don't like any invasion in my privacy. I know I'm a dinosaur but if more people complained instead of being passively swept along with the masses, maybe authorities would be more consultative. I always understood fingerprinting and photographing was for criminals. Now, any traveler is an assumed criminal. Our rights and freedoms are being eroded in the guise of keeping terrorists and criminals out.

While you have a valid point about privacy and state control you can't argue that Thailand has to go with the flow. They just catch up with what most developed countries have done already. You might not need to put your paws on a scanner but the biometric camera is already doing its job while the officer scans your passport. If they don't upgrade to current procedures we will soon be back to the situation where people on the run will make it their prime destination because there is nowhere else to go.

1 minute ago, huberthammer said:

While you have a valid point about privacy and state control you can't argue that Thailand has to go with the flow. They just catch up with what most developed countries have done already. You might not need to put your paws on a scanner but the biometric camera is already doing its job while the officer scans your passport. If they don't upgrade to current procedures we will soon be back to the situation where people on the run will make it their prime destination because there is nowhere else to go.

Point taken. Must run now - I'm  hungry - time for eats. Bye now all !!!

2 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

I did actually say works - you know, as a day-to-day thing - not worked as a once-in-a-lifetime thing

Splitting hairs buddy - go to sleep. Way past your bedtime.

Topic now finished as far as I am concerned. Nuff said.

Archived