What's going on with Manual cars??

I saw this previously discussed in a post from 2016,

Does anyone know what's going on with the manual transmission cars in Thailand?

Toyota no longer sells Manual transmission sedans, Honda only sells 1. 

Same with Mazda and from what I read in the old post chevy stopped back in 2016?

Suzuki and Mitsubishi seem to have a lot of them though.

Anyone with any insider knowledge know if Toyota and the others will change their course? Seems counter-productive to not even allow manual transmissions to be ordered by those of us who really enjoy driving.

Also this is my first post, so hello to you all!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello back at you Sanook...

Many car manufacturers have "shifted" their focus to sporty type vehicles for their manual shifts...family sedans seem to all be headed in the automatic transmission direction...

Ended up purchasing a Hyundai Elantra GT back in the states as it was still being made with a 6 speed manual shift...4-door yet very sporty...most other sedan were all automatics...

Sadly, I suspect most of the drivers today have never had the pleasure of running through the gears...makes driving a hoot instead of boring...

Manuals suck in stop and go traffic, unless one really wants to feel in control and do something every few seconds.  I learned how to shift on a 1930 Model A ford, no lying.  I have no desire to use a manual shift.  They can be fun, but not worth the hassle

Seems your about correct, Toyo only do auto for their cars. But they still do M/T on 50% of their pickups right up to the low end Tuna. But you cant get it on their 2.8lt models Their auto only. saying that they do do a 2.8 in M/T but only in their smart cab pickup.

If you want to change gear yourself buy an auto one that has paddle shift. Hours of fun and without a clutch.

I have it on my Tuna only used it once to try it out never bothered since. To much aggro.

Traffic.

Combine that with the cost and reliability of modern automatic transmission and the warranty headaches of manuals and the fact that most people prefer them and it makes little sense to sell them.

I would buy a manual in s sports car or an actual off-roader, but never in daily driver.

Changing a clutch disk used to take an hour or two, not anymore...

2 hours ago, SanookTeufel said:

I saw this previously discussed in a post from 2016,

Does anyone know what's going on with the manual transmission cars in Thailand?

More demand in Thailand for auto cars even the trucks as well now so a marketing thing I guess.

When I bought my auto Vigo truck in 2005 I had to wait 4 months, cost 40,000 baht more for auto.

I remember Thais telling my wife autos are no good they go on there own and are dangerous.  ???? 

Auto gearboxes have been around a long time, history of autos is interesting, invented 1904 patented 1932 and bought by GM who put an auto box in a car in 1940.

I have a 6 speed Isuzu Hi-lander never thought I'd have manual again but I like it.

More demand in Thailand for auto cars even the trucks as well now so a marketing thing I guess.

When I bought my auto Vigo truck in 2005 I had to wait 4 months, cost 40,000 baht more for auto.
I remember Thais telling my wife autos are no good they go on there own and are dangerous.  [emoji23] 

Auto gearboxes have been around a long time, history of autos is interesting, invented 1904 patented 1932 and bought by GM who put an auto box in a car in 1940.

I have a 6 speed Isuzu Hi-lander never thought I'd have manual again but I like it.

You live in Bangkok?

I remember Thais telling my wife autos are no good they go on there own and are dangerous.  [emoji23] 

People say the same thing here about cruise control....

GM (as far as I know) had about the best automatics for a long time. Seems like they’re all good now...

4 hours ago, mogandave said:

You live in Bangkok?

4 hours ago, mogandave said:

People say the same thing here about cruise control....

GM (as far as I know) had about the best automatics for a long time. Seems like they’re all good now...

I wouldn't want a car/truck if I lived in Bkk a motorbike for sure but living in Bkk I would want a helicopter.

As for farmers needed cruise control...no that's for the rich.

Yeah GM auto boxes are good had some in my time.

7 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Sadly, I suspect most of the drivers today have never had the pleasure of running through the gears...makes driving a hoot instead of boring...

a real pleasure in Bangkok rush hour traffic. :coffee1:

Modern day auto's are nothing like those of yester year, they are motoring progress to going from A to B effortlessly and relaxed...

My ol' fun car was a manual auto trans, could shift gears quicker than a  manual geared trans..

There was a time when you used your hands and or feet to power a sewing machine, now modern stuff is automatic....????

20 hours ago, mogandave said:

Traffic.

Combine that with the cost and reliability of modern automatic transmission and the warranty headaches of manuals and the fact that most people prefer them and it makes little sense to sell them.

I would buy a manual in s sports car or an actual off-roader, but never in daily driver.

Changing a clutch disk used to take an hour or two, not anymore...

Warranty headaches? I've always thought manual to be much more reliable.

I can see traffic being a big impact though as others have noted traffic is much more easily dealt with in an automatic.

Reliability and warranty headaches are at least as common with autos, probably more so if you count the various cockups with dual clutch and CVT autos.  

The OP commented "Seems counter-productive to not even allow manual transmissions to be ordered by those of us who really enjoy driving."  That is true from the buyers in this position.  However the manufactures are not likely to resist the declining popularity of manual trans.  The idea of making one trans variant is probably more attractive than offering an option that so few buyers want.  

I like driving manuals but but for many new car buyers the versatility of an auto wins out.  Modern Autos, including dual clutch and CVTs meet the need for convenience, heavy traffic, other drivers who don't like or can't drive manuals with a compromise in control and enjoyment.  Many buyer don't even realise there is a compromise so do not even consider it.  That will only become more common as manuals become increasingly rare.  

majority of the folks who buy sedans don't want to drive manuals, thats just how it is. Its fun to drive, but majority of the folks aren't car enthusiasts. They just want to get from point a to b without the hassle of shifting. On top of that, autos are more fuel efficient compare to manuals nowadays.

Its not just in Thailand, in the US some models are not offered in manual anymore as well.

Manuals give more control when motoring in the hills. I quite enjoy my Mazda 2 which is an automatic with the option of six gears in the manual mode. IMHO most Thais don't understand the relationship of gears to engine.

Having said that, resale values on manuals are significantly lower than the corresponding brand automatic, which might be why Thais avoid them. The auto manufacturers are just responding to low demand.

On 5/11/2019 at 3:58 PM, worgeordie said:

Having 3 pedals is just too confusing for most drivers here,

maybe that's why manufacturers are only going with automatics.

regards worgeordie

Norty ????

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:58 PM, worgeordie said:

Having 3 pedals is just too confusing for most drivers here,

maybe that's why manufacturers are only going with automatics.

regards worgeordie

It will also be a small cost saving - no need for a clutch pedal.

Next they'll be removing the brake pedal since so few seem to know what that is for....!!

(Thinking about it, I wonder how long before someone decides the accelerator should act as a "dead-mans-handle", and as you reduce pressure it starts to apply the brakes.....)

2 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Most learner drivers are taught in auto transmission and are incapable of driving manual vehicles.

No market from younger drivers who are the major buyers now

In the UK you can take a driving test in a manual or an auto, but, if you pass in an auto you cannot drive a manual, if you pass in a manual you can drive an auto...

On 5/12/2019 at 9:26 AM, transam said:

Modern day auto's are nothing like those of yester year, they are motoring progress to going from A to B effortlessly and relaxed...

My ol' fun car was a manual auto trans, could shift gears quicker than a  manual geared trans..

There was a time when you used your hands and or feet to power a sewing machine, now modern stuff is automatic....????

I note a member showed "confused" regarding this post. I would like to know what you think is confusing....????

2 hours ago, steve73 said:

It will also be a small cost saving - no need for a clutch pedal.

Next they'll be removing the brake pedal since so few seem to know what that is for....!!

(Thinking about it, I wonder how long before someone decides the accelerator should act as a "dead-mans-handle", and as you reduce pressure it starts to apply the brakes.....)

Nissan Leaf already support one “e-Pedal” for both accelerating and braking.

This e-Pedal drives the car forward when depressed and brakes when pressure is released.

The Leaf will slow to a halt and can hold itself steady on an incline without the need to depress a brake pedal.

However, break pedal is still included for emergency or aggressive braking.

3 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Most learner drivers are taught in auto transmission and are incapable of driving manual vehicles.

No market from younger drivers who are the major buyers now

Having said that, I see way more Thai's capable of driving M/T compared to here in the states.

Toyota still sells M/T here in the US, maybe that's because of the larger population.

5% of 300 million is larger than 10-15% of the Thai population... Someone should do studies on this and see what % of Thai's drive manual... In Europe/China it's around 80%

M/T generally have better gas mileage, but as some comments here have pointed out A/T are starting to catch up and I've seen some that are slightly better (depends how you shift your M/T though).

50 minutes ago, transam said:

I note a member showed "confused" regarding this post. I would like to know what you think is confusing....????

Could well be your reference to new sewing machines being automatic.

Sewing machines are still powered by either a foot treadle or a foot peddle to power an electric motor. Please correct me if I'm wrong but they don't do an auto one. 

9 minutes ago, SanookTeufel said:

Having said that, I see way more Thai's capable of driving M/T compared to here in the states.

Toyota still sells M/T here in the US, maybe that's because of the larger population.

5% of 300 million is larger than 10-15% of the Thai population... Someone should do studies on this and see what % of Thai's drive manual... In Europe/China it's around 80%

M/T generally have better gas mileage, but as some comments here have pointed out A/T are starting to catch up and I've seen some that are slightly better (depends how you shift your M/T though).

Yes, the days of slush boxes have gone....

Archived