Brit expat teacher seriously injured as motorbike hits power pole

rooster59

3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I recall the Italian MotoGP rider who was killed in a race incident a couple of years ago. His helmet was dislodged in an initial clash, then a following bike inflicted fatal head injuries. I'm sure it was a top class helmet, properly fastened.

The only picture of this incident shows the victim on a stretcher wearing a collar and with bandages on his head. I wouldn't expect his helmet to still be in place at this stage. The first helpers on the scene could have removed it when providing assistance, and later placed it near the bike to be collected with it. I don't think the evidence either way is conclusive and those here who have stated he wasn't wearing it are being somewhat disingenuous. 

Police officers and rescue workers arrived at the scene, along the northbound lanes of Thepkasattri Rd in front of Wat Tha Ruea, to find the expat on the road with serious head injuries.

His red Honda Wave motorbike and helmet were lying on the road nearby.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/brit-expat-teacher-seriously-injured-as-motorbike-hits-power-pole-71388.php#ahBTz25HBoObV7ZJ.99

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, GBW said:

Police officers and rescue workers arrived at the scene, along the northbound lanes of Thepkasattri Rd in front of Wat Tha Ruea, to find the expat on the road with serious head injuries.

His red Honda Wave motorbike and helmet were lying on the road nearby.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/brit-expat-teacher-seriously-injured-as-motorbike-hits-power-pole-71388.php#ahBTz25HBoObV7ZJ.99

Yes, I read that and addressed it in an earlier post.

When I referred to the first helper, I didn't mean the first police or ambulance worker. They would have arrived some time later I'm sure. 

Try to think outside the parameters.

32 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

When I referred to the first helper, I didn't mean the first police or ambulance worker. They would have arrived some time later I'm sure. 

Yes, its quite possible, a big problem in Thailand is a lack of public awareness resulting in people trying to help in accidents and actually causing further injury.  In fact, not so long ago, EMS were demonstrated to have caused a high percentage of avoidable deaths due to a lack of training in how to deal with spinal injuries.  It took foreign intervention to produce a better training package, which is what happens when a government neglects their essential needs to the point where religious institutes fill in the gaps with their volunteers.

22 hours ago, Odisan said:

I doubt they'd do that unless they knew there was no back/spine injury - not something you're likely to ascertain roadside at 3 am.

I dont think that the helmet was on his head as the strap is fixed tight and too short to have been worn.

On 5/11/2019 at 2:13 PM, Old Croc said:

I read this:

"Police officers and rescue workers arrived at the scene, along the northbound lanes of Thepkasattri Rd in front of Wat Tha Ruea, to find the expat on the road with serious head injuries.

His red Honda Wave motorbike and helmet were lying on the road nearby."

Presuming the police and rescue workers were not on the scene immediately, I would think there is a chance that either the victim or the first on the scene may have removed the helmet beforehand.  I don't know, but don't see it as a certainty either way.

I did note that in the previous incident (if it was him) he was wearing a helmet. 

If the helmet was removed, why was it back down the road  with the bike. No he was never wearing it.

23 hours ago, Nip said:

I don't disagree with most of the comments but perhaps could it be that the paramedics removed the helmet? From his head that is.

And then carried it back down the road to the bike before attending to the patient. What a stupid idea.

22 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Or a poorly fitting helmet.

If he was wearing the helmet with the strap so tightly done up.The cause of the accident is obvious. He was choked into unconsciousness and simply fell off. There!  problem solved.

3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

1557548795_9121-org.jpg.d6cd2606faeb827645dcee203cbb99c8.jpg

First of all, let's hope the guy makes a full recovery and this isn't a life changing event. I have to say, though, that riding a motorbike in Thailand, at 3am in the morning, is throwing the dice. Fine, if you're younger. As an older guy I'm risk adverse, I don't bounce so well; besides, there're 4 dogs, an SO, and a pick-up depending on me. Like stuff appropriate for a guy in his 20s is not appropriate for a guy in his 50s.

3 minutes ago, nausea said:

First of all, let's hope the guy makes a full recovery and this isn't a life changing event. I have to say, though, that riding a motorbike in Thailand, at 3am in the morning, is throwing the dice. Fine, if you're younger. As an older guy I'm risk adverse, I don't bounce so well; besides, there're 4 dogs, an SO, and a pick-up depending on me. Like stuff appropriate for a guy in his 20s is not appropriate for a guy in his 50s.

Goodness Nausea, you sound like you are wishing your life away at such a young age.

Archived