Brit expat teacher seriously injured as motorbike hits power pole

rooster59

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Vacuum said:
1 hour ago, jlwilliamsjr18 said:

Take note...where are those power poles? 

2044789463_ScreenShot2019-05-11at13_01_50.png.31dcbfa6de8ad592a1a7bea03e3c5af1.png

Not on the road, where one should be driving.

The position of this one, less than 100 meters from the accident scene, is a little ambiguous. 

post.JPG

Iain is indeed a teacher at BIS and an ex-colleague of mine. I have just received an update that he is still unconscious and in ICU in Vachira hospital. As is usual, the school and their insurers are planning to transfer him to one of the better equipped hospitals on the island. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Despite some of the BS I have read on here, Iain was an experienced motorcyclist. The last time I saw him I believe he was riding a Triumph Bonneville.

2 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

And quite likely wearing no helmet. That being the case hardly setting a good example of safety to his pupils.  Another Go-fund me coming along maybe

His red Honda Wave motorbike and helmet were lying on the road nearby.

2 hours ago, madmen said:

Try actually reading the full article

on the road beside him, so not strapped on, as good as having no helmet at all. I like the bit about the motorbike he was riding hit the power pole, like he had nothing to do with it.

Things happen, pot holes, dogs, punctures, other vehicles, we don't know what happened in rhis case, many posts on here only indicate a lack of experience, you probably nip to the bar on a scooter and now you think you're an authority on causes of bike crashes, get a grip people.

6 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

I never drive a car here either, too dangerous. Bike riding has always struck me as idiotic in any country though.

Yes, not travelling is the safest, or the train, however if I want to go somewhere I prefer to drive, I drive a lot safer than the average bus, minivan, or taxi driver.

2 hours ago, OneEyedPie said:

As an aside and if it's the same guy then he doesn't appear to have a lot of luck on motorbikes:

https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/Three-men-ambush-British-motorist-northern-Phuket

From your quoted link...

Mr Richardson suffered a perforated eardrum and his wife has bruising on her arm from the incident.

“[I have] no idea what their motive was… Luckily, we were wearing helmets,” Mr Richardson said.

Whats the chances of getting a perforated ear drum whilst wearing a helmet ??

Does he really wear his helmet !!! 

2 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

I did. You clearly assumed that the helmet laying in the road come of his head.  I would suggest that it could have been on his handlebars or even in a basket - now that would be unusual -not !!!

Getting the neck brace over a helmet is tricky, no?

1 hour ago, hithere said:

Get a life

I have a life and I intend to keep it. Part of that plan is never to get on a motorbike, either as a driver or a passenger. This plan has been successful for several decades. I drive a pickup and in the event of an accident the odds are in favour of me walking away from it. This all sounds good to me.

If I want the wind in my hair and the pollution in my face I can always lower the window, but neither seems very attractive to me.

Looking at the original article and the photos of the bike and helmet, which are somewhat further up the road, it looks like the helmet is in perfect condition, no sign of damage, also the strap looks as if it is done up, i would think that the helmet was not being worn at the time of the crash. If the medics took it off it would be near the person, and if he was wearing it, it would be damaged. Hope he recovers fully.

1 minute ago, IssanMichael said:

Looking at the original article and the photos of the bike and helmet, which are somewhat further up the road, it looks like the helmet is in perfect condition, no sign of damage, also the strap looks as if it is done up, i would think that the helmet was not being worn at the time of the crash. If the medics took it off it would be near the person, and if he was wearing it, it would be damaged. Hope he recovers fully.

Or a poorly fitting helmet.

I hope the teacher recover fully.

Next time wear the helmet, obviously he kept it in the basket.

The strap is tight and connected.

Now on to the reporting from the police.

The poles, as another member already has noted, are not on the road.

My theory is that the teacher was driving the wrong way. And had to move near the border for an traffic going the right way and lost his balance wheel hit the border and he hit a pole with his steer and fell.

Why?

Take a look at the picture and note the position of the motorbike on the road with two poles in view on the left  and the photo of the pole with the scratch.

Also consider the shadow of the pole with the scratch (which is behind the pole) and that that pole doesn't have an metal 'spandage' band that the other pole on the left have. Also the grass and the manhole tile.

Unless there is an third pole more to the left and not in the bigger photo,

then he was driving very fast but left no scratches on the road.

Get well soon Iain.

1557548796_1333-org.jpg.55285f3b99fad1349589222e691b87b6.jpg2044789463_ScreenShot2019-05-11at13_01_50.png.31dcbfa6de8ad592a1a7bea03e3c5af1.png.c21b5be1495f1d8285276f33aac6be3b.png1557548795_9121-org.jpg.d6cd2606faeb827645dcee203cbb99c8.jpg

53 minutes ago, Nip said:

I don't disagree with most of the comments but perhaps could it be that the paramedics removed the helmet? From his head that is.

I doubt they'd do that unless they knew there was no back/spine injury - not something you're likely to ascertain roadside at 3 am.

2 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

The article said: 

His red Honda Wave motorbike and helmet were lying on the road nearby.
Which to anyone with even the slightest sense of comprehension, says he was not wearing the helmet
But if he was, he sure as heck wasn't wearing it properly, I.e. with the strap secured properly.

perhaps the rescue workers removed it...

3 minutes ago, donim said:

I hope the teacher recover fully.

Next time wear the helmet, obviously he kept it in the basket.

The strap is tight and connected.

Now on to the reporting from the police.

The poles, as another member already has noted, are not on the road.

My theory is that the teacher was driving the wrong way. And had to move near the border for an traffic going the right way and lost his balance wheel hit the border and he hit a pole with his steer and fell.

Why?

Take a look at the picture and note the position of the motorbike on the road with two poles in view on the left  and the photo of the pole with the scratch.

Also consider the shadow of the pole with the scratch (which is behind the pole) and that that pole doesn't have an metal 'spandage' band that the other pole on the left have. Also the grass and the manhole tile.

Unless there is an third pole more to the left and not in the bigger photo,

then he was driving very fast but left no scratches on the road.

Get well soon Iain.

1557548796_1333-org.jpg.55285f3b99fad1349589222e691b87b6.jpg2044789463_ScreenShot2019-05-11at13_01_50.png.31dcbfa6de8ad592a1a7bea03e3c5af1.png.c21b5be1495f1d8285276f33aac6be3b.png1557548795_9121-org.jpg.d6cd2606faeb827645dcee203cbb99c8.jpg

You could be right but why would an apparent experienced rider who reportedly had a Triumph Bonneville by a previous poster, and had a wife ,again reported by an earlier poster,  be driving  a Wave, on the wrong side of the road , with no helmet on at 3 am  without his wife ?

1 minute ago, rwill said:

perhaps the rescue workers removed it...

I think we can safely assume Mr Richardson wasn't wearing the helmet, hence the near-perfect condition of the helmet and imperfect condition of his head.  

I wish him well but really surprised a highly educated guy like himself would take such a risk.  

Archived