Brit expat teacher seriously injured as motorbike hits power pole

rooster59

2 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

You could be right but why would an apparent experienced rider who reportedly had a Triumph Bonneville by a previous poster, and had a wife ,again reported by an earlier poster,  be driving  a Wave, on the wrong side of the road , with no helmet on at 3 am  without his wife ?

Well, that's not any of your business, is it?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you ride a motorcycle, at some point you will go down.  You may go down and recover, and go down again.  It's the nature of the beast.  When I crashed my Norton, I'd been riding for twenty years.  When I recovered a year later, I was back in the saddle.

It's kind of like women.  If you're gonna ride 'em, you're gonna get hurt.  But I can't resist either. 

Part of the danger here is the poor road engineering where there is rarely sufficient kerb height to divert wheels back onto the road, and insufficient footway width between the road and power poles, trees, anchor cables, advertising displays and other detritus, so that if you make a mistake and swerve off the road you are guaranteed a collision with a solid immovable object rather than a scrape and slow deceleration along a clear pavement. That’s why the motorcycle fatality rate is so high, whatever the reason for the original collision.

1 minute ago, Kieran00001 said:

Considering at least one of his friends are posting here, its a good thing they are absent, balance is less important than not causing unnessary grief to his close ones.

I agree with you for once. It must be worrying for his wife.

Considering at least one of his friends are posting here, its a good thing they are absent, balance is less important than not causing unnessary grief to his close ones.

The types of comments I am referring to should be absent no matter the nationality of the accident victim.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, Too young to be old said:

That would make sense.

2 minutes ago, Too young to be old said:

That would make sense.

yes it would but we know from the report that was not the case.

"Police officers and rescue workers arrived at the scene, along the northbound lanes of Thepkasattri Rd in front of Wat Tha Ruea, to find the expat on the road with serious head injuries.

His red Honda Wave motorbike and helmet were lying on the road nearby."

So clearly they did not remove the helmet as it states when they arrived they found the helmet lying nearby.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/brit-expat-teacher-seriously-injured-as-motorbike-hits-power-pole-71388.php#zBYuJKPivwZcDxqW.99

2 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

A European based motorcycle crash study investigated 90 crashes where it found that in 11 cases (12 per cent), the helmets had come off during thecrash.

You missed out 'Due to incorrect or poor helmet fit and wearing position'.

A correctly sized and securely fitted helmet should not come off in an accident. I've tested mine very thoroughly in that regard and it were to part company with my body, it would have to take my head with it!

11 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

A correctly sized and securely fitted helmet should not come off in an accident. I've tested mine very thoroughly in that regard and it were to part company with my body, it would have to take my head with it!

Agreed.  Mine is so tightly anchored that it could only depart my head through completely shattering or decapitation.

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

We all make mistakes no matter how careful we are for 99% of our lives. Most times we get away with them (and hopefully learn from our experience), but not always.

I am recovering in hospital having just fallen 6 metres through our roof and onto the granite floor below. I can't remember the incident, or why I was on the roof, but am very lucky to have gotten away with it with no major injuries.

Lesson learned - don't climb ladders or get on the roof when I can pay someone else a pittance to do that job.

Shit happens to the best and worst of us. Hopefully karma edges the odds in the latter's favour.

A motorbike or any other vehicle for that matter doesnt hit a powerpole or any other object just like that. It is taken there, ridden there, driven there, steered there.... go figure.

25 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

We all make mistakes no matter how careful we are for 99% of our lives. Most times we get away with them (and hopefully learn from our experience), but not always.

I am recovering in hospital having just fallen 6 metres through our roof and onto the granite floor below. I can't remember the incident, or why I was on the roof, but am very lucky to have gotten away with it with no major injuries.

Lesson learned - don't climb ladders or get on the roof when I can pay someone else a pittance to do that job.

Shit happens to the best and worst of us. Hopefully karma edges the odds in the latter's favour.

Were you drunk or was the memory loss due to injury? And yes accidents happen though with a little common sense risks can be mitigated, many accidents happen due to lapses in judgement and are totally preventable..

3 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

I never drive a car here either, too dangerous. Bike riding has always struck me as idiotic in any country though.

I ride my bicycle quite a bit during early hours or later if not travelling too far from home - statistically safer than walking, motorcycles, or cars

image.png.91e9307ce9904bcb121ec98c6c7a538a.png

5 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

I did. You clearly assumed that the helmet laying in the road come of his head.  I would suggest that it could have been on his handlebars or even in a basket - now that would be unusual -not !!!

Inertia would have sent the helmet 50 meters down the rd in the basket . It didn't simple fall out of the basket and stopped right next to him

More likely a loose strap 

47 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

Ah, doing a Rod Hull.  Nice.

Anyway, chok dee.

5 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Not on the road, where one should be driving.

As nobody here knows how the accident happened, it could have been a hit and run accident, a dog crossing the road, etc..

I hope he gets well soon without any financial or mental issues. 

1 minute ago, Isaanbiker said:

As nobody here knows how the accident happened, it could have been a hit and run accident, a dog crossing the road, etc..

The lack of damage to the bike and skidlid tell a different story.  Just saying.

Please everyone give the guy a break. If it was his fault it's his own stupidity. If it wasn't let's hope something is done to rectify this in the future.

If he was Chinese something would have been done already as everyone knows.

I hope the guy has insurance (stupidity does not warrant crowd funding!) and let's all hope he has a speedy recovery.

9 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

The lack of damage to the bike and skidlid tell a different story.  Just saying.

A bike doesn't have to be much damaged when a cager hit the body of the rider. 

An attacking dog is another possibility, but that's all speculation, important is that he fully recovers. 

Of course, he could have been drunk at this time of the day and crashed. 

The sad part is if it was his fault, the school could get rid off him when he's longer absent let's hope that the's got the Thai social security.

They'll pay for all expenses, the bike's insurance covers only 12 K or 14 K.  

39 minutes ago, madmen said:

Inertia would have sent the helmet 50 meters down the rd in the basket . It didn't simple fall out of the basket and stopped right next to him

More likely a loose strap 

inertia is a factor of (de)acceleration and we don't know what his terminal speed was so impossible to predict how far the helmet would have traveled especially so has we do not know the helmets entrapment scenario

1 hour ago, Stevemercer said:

Get well soon! We just had three guys fixing our roof for a couple of hundred baht. There's really no reason to risk your life or to sit in a wheelchair. 

5 hours ago, stjarna said:

I hope he recovers fully. I always look at the time of accidents and it’s mostly in the early mornings. 

Or late at night... depends on what you were doing prior to the accident, getting pissed or waking up?

2 hours ago, Dolmance said:

If you ride a motorcycle, at some point you will go down.  You may go down and recover, and go down again.  It's the nature of the beast.  When I crashed my Norton, I'd been riding for twenty years.  When I recovered a year later, I was back in the saddle.

It's kind of like women.  If you're gonna ride 'em, you're gonna get hurt.  But I can't resist either. 

Agreed. It’s not if, but a case of when. 

I got wiped out 5 years ago now. 4 months banged up in hospital and 3 years to get back on a bike. Dropped my new bike 5 days later for the first time 555 low speed but I had not recovered as much as I had thought. 

Avoided what could have been a pretty horrific stack here just recently with only damage to my poor little pinky. Bike fixed and back on the road within a week. 

Planning on a visa run to Laos from Pattaya in the next couple of weeks.

When you get it, you get it. Otherwise you’ll never understand 

CA84D6CE-F607-4B91-BAFD-7673E9C9BA51.jpeg

A52AE170-12C9-4A68-9648-9BD0F3518284.jpeg

029D89A5-5E77-4DB4-BC85-70BC4EC63AD4.jpeg

Archived