Brit expat teacher seriously injured as motorbike hits power pole

rooster59

7 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

Of course, he could have been drunk at this time of the day and crashed. 

I asked the question earlier but no replies.  No problem, though.

Would the BiB request the hospital take a blood sample for DUI analysis?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not the only one today, I happened to be in Phuket International at 8-30 am and there was a French guy lying there nasty accident as I was walking by I asked him if he was ok but his leg didn't look good

1 minute ago, OneEyedPie said:

We don't know the cause. Unfortunately as to whether he was drunk or not will not be confirmed I doubt. If he was the RTP will try to extract every baht from him to avoid prosecution.  If he was not then the RTP will try to dream up something else.  I sincerely hope he recovers  but I suspect if he does his life will not be the same again. A poster earlier stated he had a wife. I hope she can look after him so he can recover and continue his teaching career.

Well,  it looks like there was a helmet at the scene.  who knows if he had it fastened on correctly?

Every day, I see people with helmets on unstrapped (which might still work if somone runs out and hits you over the head with a bowling pin) but for any accident, would be flung off instantly.

It looks pretty fischer price even if he did have it on.

6 hours ago, Don Chance said:

Never ride a motorcycle. Ever.

Where's the fun in that?

Admittedly they aren't inherently safe. They naturally fall over without assistance.

Some folks like that. Why criticize?

9 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

My legs aren't entirely reliable either.  

Me too sometimes. Comes from riding bikes that wanted to do their own thing and won.

Everything's fine until you hit hardtop or an obstacle.

No regrets.

8 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Perfectly straight road but managed to hit a power pole beside the road at 3 AM. Drunk, fell asleep...? Hope for a speedy recovery though.

Probably preoccupied thinking about the welfare of his pupils and setting and marking exam papers. Easy to get distracted at 3AM

What to do about these Meandering Power Poles ?

They just step out on the road when least expected.

From reading the full story in the Phuket News and looking at the condition of the helmet, it is pretty certain he was NOT wearing the helmet at the time of the accident.

Hope he makes a full and speedy recovery, then perhaps he’ll be able to clarify just what the Power Poll was doing when it stepped into his path,

perhaps it had been drinking and went wandering ?

2 hours ago, OneEyedPie said:

Sorry, disagree, you only go down when you make a mistake, or are rammed, you do not fall of a bike or crash it without making some sort of error, unless some idiot rams into you. And all this garbage that bikers make up about "letting the bike go" and "dropping it" etc, is just shit! Nothing stops you better than brakes other than a solid piece of wall or truck, dropping a bike and sliding it is just a shit excuse! I would much rather have two tyres on the road and full braking to slow me down rather than " I laid it down".... what? You really thought that sliding your bike on its side using the metal of the pegs was a better method of stopping than pulling on the brakes.

Sometimes people that ride bikes really believe their own fantasies! (Sorry, I had two edits open and my reply went to you instead of someone else)

5 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

Sorry, disagree, you only go down when you make a mistake, or are rammed, you do not fall of a bike or crash it without making some sort of error, unless some idiot rams into you. 

What was all that about?  :whistling:

12 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

What was all that about?  :whistling:

A rant about bikers that crash then make up excuses,  just getting it off my chest. Most of the time they blame other factors when in fact they have no one lese but themselves to blame.

Every time I have fallen off on my sad and sorry ass, it has been 100% my own fault. My mistake, I did it, hands held up high,  Trust me, I have deserved every dismounting I ever had! I once took a moped out for a ride here at night after drinking, having never rode a bike properly in my life. I actually convinced myself I was Barry Sheene, and even stacked two fully grown drunken Thais on the pillion. I got 15 yards at most, ran into a tree, arm the size of my leg, two idiots thrown off the back, not a good day for the Farang! But, my mistake my making, luckily I never made a public road, could have killed someone. However, I would never say "I laid it down"

3 hours ago, Skallywag said:

I ride my bicycle quite a bit during early hours or later if not travelling too far from home - statistically safer than walking, motorcycles, or cars

image.png.91e9307ce9904bcb121ec98c6c7a538a.png

Not really, you've fallen foul of blindingly believing a statistic...  and this one does not compare the safety of riding a bicycle with the safety of being a pedestrian. 

A lot more people walk than ride a bicycle... thus if you were to compare deaths per 100,000 cyclists with deaths per 100,000 pedestrians you may get a clearer picture. 

Guessing at a statistic and throwing hypothetical figures out there - it could be argued that there is 1 bicycle per 100 people on the streets in Thailand, thus at with 2% cyclist vs 8% pedestrian deaths it would be obvious that cycling is a more risky endeavor.

The stats alone never tell the actual story and must be used intelligently, otherwise they are used to polish, corrupt, mislead and falsify reality. 

16 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

I did. You clearly assumed that the helmet laying in the road come of his head.  I would suggest that it could have been on his handlebars or even in a basket - now that would be unusual -not !!!

Other great/common way to use a helmet, don't fasten the chin strap, then it is as good as tits on a bull!! another reason it is lying on the road?

Speedy and good recovery please.

I rode for 45 years and 14 of it here in Thailand, never a scratch until Oct 26 2018.

I was only 4-5 meters away when a 60 yo Thai lady never looked to her right.......she stopped at the end of the Soi........then when I was right on top of her, she hits the gas and pulls right in front of me.

Several injuries........smashed my right shoulder to bits.

I hung up my helmet that day........just too damn dangerous to ride here.

Look at the stats........60 people a day die on Thai road and 48 of the 60 get it on motorbike

17 hours ago, denishuahin said:

I always wonder how many "farang" have had a motorcycle licence in their own countries, very few I believe. 
I see farang ride the same way Thai's ride very badly don't take notice of the rules same as the Thai's. 
I have lived here 15 years driving 450,000 miles in one car. Had one accident whilst stationary on my drive 1 mt off the main straight Rd. Two motorbike with 3 riders hit my car in the side killed two of them and the other a broken leg. They were on the wrong side of the road racing towards the traffic 18 years old, no licence no "tax" no helmets, Police said it was obviously it was my fault. 

My son ( 52 )came here no UK licence at all, was a teacher 8 years had 7 accidents 3 bad ones and the last one drove out in front of a car killed the passenger lost his left leg, nothing happened with the police, he's now claiming benefits in England along with all the others who don't deserve it. 
The system will never change here most farangs who ride motorbike never ridden one in there life until come here consequently there drive like the Thai's. 
Yes I have both car and bike licences in UK and Thailand.            

You have no idea of the percentage of people riding here had a licence in their home country or not.

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The stats alone never tell the actual story and must be used intelligently, otherwise they are used to polish, corrupt, mislead and falsify reality. 

Yes charts and statistics can be misleading  / manipulated. 

Speed can kill,  Thailand has the second highest road traffic fatality rate in the world

Published on World Health Org.  website.  http://www.searo.who.int/thailand/areas/roadsafety/en/

Be Careful out There

4 hours ago, lucifer666 said:

In my experience, crash helmets tend to stay on the head when being worn. Even after an accident.

I recall the Italian MotoGP rider who was killed in a race incident a couple of years ago. His helmet was dislodged in an initial clash, then a following bike inflicted fatal head injuries. I'm sure it was a top class helmet, properly fastened.

The only picture of this incident shows the victim on a stretcher wearing a collar and with bandages on his head. I wouldn't expect his helmet to still be in place at this stage. The first helpers on the scene could have removed it when providing assistance, and later placed it near the bike to be collected with it. I don't think the evidence either way is conclusive and those here who have stated he wasn't wearing it are being somewhat disingenuous. 

4 hours ago, lucifer666 said:

In my experience, crash helmets tend to stay on the head when being worn. Even after an accident.

I'm not going to post it again, if you can be bothered to look through the thread you will find that I posted a study which found that in 12% of motorbike accidents the helmet came off, their study of lots of accidents vs your little experience, hmmm.

21 hours ago, Don Chance said:

Never ride a motorcycle. Ever.

And never cross the road or go on a boat or go scuba diving,and whatever you do,never strain while taking a dump.

Never deprive yourself of doing something you enjoy because of what if. 

You won't go until your sell by date arrives,but don't try and hasten it by taking chances.Meanwhile enjoy yourself.

A biker for 43 years,with numerous years riding in Thailand.

5 hours ago, Captain 776 said:

I rode for 45 years and 14 of it here in Thailand, never a scratch until Oct 26 2018.

I was only 4-5 meters away when a 60 yo Thai lady never looked to her right.......she stopped at the end of the Soi........then when I was right on top of her, she hits the gas and pulls right in front of me.

Several injuries........smashed my right shoulder to bits.

I hung up my helmet that day........just too damn dangerous to ride here.

Look at the stats........60 people a day die on Thai road and 48 of the 60 get it on motorbike

You should have noticed she didn't look to her right.

17 hours ago, Moonlover said:

You missed out 'Due to incorrect or poor helmet fit and wearing position'.

A correctly sized and securely fitted helmet should not come off in an accident. I've tested mine very thoroughly in that regard and it were to part company with my body, it would have to take my head with it!

Even in Western countries with high quality helmets and good awareness levels, more than 10% come of in accidents, take a look at the helmets here and tje way they are attached, I would be surprised if 10% stayed on.  As for your thorough testing of your own helmet, I expect the motogp rider mentioned above also tested his, perhaps a litle more thoroughly than you, there is always a risk.

Archived