BANGKOK 21 June 2019 04:29
rooster59

Brit expat teacher seriously injured as motorbike hits power pole

2 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

You could be right but why would an apparent experienced rider who reportedly had a Triumph Bonneville by a previous poster, and had a wife ,again reported by an earlier poster,  be driving  a Wave, on the wrong side of the road , with no helmet on at 3 am  without his wife ?

Well, that's not any of your business, is it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Part of the danger here is the poor road engineering where there is rarely sufficient kerb height to divert wheels back onto the road, and insufficient footway width between the road and power poles, trees, anchor cables, advertising displays and other detritus, so that if you make a mistake and swerve off the road you are guaranteed a collision with a solid immovable object rather than a scrape and slow deceleration along a clear pavement. That’s why the motorcycle fatality rate is so high, whatever the reason for the original collision.

1 minute ago, Kieran00001 said:

Considering at least one of his friends are posting here, its a good thing they are absent, balance is less important than not causing unnessary grief to his close ones.

I agree with you for once. It must be worrying for his wife.

9 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Highly educated?

Well noted.  Highly educated on paper then.

Inflammatory posts and replies have been removed. 

Troll posts and the replies have been removed. 

• Thanks 1

Considering at least one of his friends are posting here, its a good thing they are absent, balance is less important than not causing unnessary grief to his close ones.

The types of comments I am referring to should be absent no matter the nationality of the accident victim.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Sealbash said:

The types of comments I am referring to should be absent no matter the nationality of the accident victim.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I agree, they're a disgrace and in my opinion shouldn't be allowed, but that is not my call.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Ah yes, I've come across your type before.

A field with hoof-prints. Most people think "horses". You think Zebras!

Zebras are just horses in pyjamas.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, shaurene said:

Well it would have helped if you had mentioned that and NOT SAY PROB NOT WEARING IT. 

It looks like his head is bandaged. So removing the helmet would make sense.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Too young to be old said:

That would make sense.

2 minutes ago, Too young to be old said:

That would make sense.

yes it would but we know from the report that was not the case.

"Police officers and rescue workers arrived at the scene, along the northbound lanes of Thepkasattri Rd in front of Wat Tha Ruea, to find the expat on the road with serious head injuries.

His red Honda Wave motorbike and helmet were lying on the road nearby."

So clearly they did not remove the helmet as it states when they arrived they found the helmet lying nearby.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/brit-expat-teacher-seriously-injured-as-motorbike-hits-power-pole-71388.php#zBYuJKPivwZcDxqW.99
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

A European based motorcycle crash study investigated 90 crashes where it found that in 11 cases (12 per cent), the helmets had come off during thecrash.

You missed out 'Due to incorrect or poor helmet fit and wearing position'.

A correctly sized and securely fitted helmet should not come off in an accident. I've tested mine very thoroughly in that regard and it were to part company with my body, it would have to take my head with it!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

A correctly sized and securely fitted helmet should not come off in an accident. I've tested mine very thoroughly in that regard and it were to part company with my body, it would have to take my head with it!

Agreed.  Mine is so tightly anchored that it could only depart my head through completely shattering or decapitation.

• Thanks 1