Slicing bacon

Ive cured bacon here before and used to slice it by hand with a knife. Putting it in the freezer for 15 minutes helps.

My wife now has a little business selling hamburgers and goes through quite a bit of bacon.

Buying bacon from the shops here for a start ends up[ a quarter of the size after you fry it, and at least 300 baht a kilo

works out to around 20 baht cost for a few slices. Then we need to add profit on. Just too expensive and people wont pay it.

I'm pretty good with a knife but I just don't think I will be able to slice it thin and consistent enough for it to be cost effective.

Couple of questions....

1) Anyone have any ingenious ideas to slice evenly and thinly without buying a slicer?

2) I have seen electric SS slicers for sale here. Around 12k THB. Does anyone have experience with these slicers?

For example apart from cleaning are they maintenance free or do you need to sharpen the cutting disc?

It will take me some time to recover the cost of purchase do they last a long time?

21 minutes ago, puchooay said:

I've used one of these. It's a bit cheaper. The blade is only about 8in so only good for smaller bacon like short back. Or shorter that usual middle and streaky.

Had it about 6 years and still going.

https://www.verasu.com/product-detail/2897/Electric Universal Slicer

I'll be doing loins...I guess they're about no more than 3" (75mm) high. Not huge commercial quantities. Few kilos a month.

Need it pretty thin tho. Do you reckon it will do the job?

Is there any maintenance required apart from cleaning?

Ie does the wheel need replacing or sharpening?

Man its a good price. German brand too. Chinese ones around town about 12k thb...but fairly big wheel

7 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I'll be doing loins...I guess they're about no more than 3" (75mm) high. Not huge commercial quantities. Few kilos a month.

Need it pretty thin tho. Do you reckon it will do the job?

Is there any maintenance required apart from cleaning?

Ie does the wheel need replacing or sharpening?

Man its a good price. German brand too. Chinese ones around town about 12k thb...but fairly big wheel

I take the blade off to clean. Sometimes clean it up with a scouring pad. I usually rub a thin layer of cooking oil on the blade after cleaning to keep corrosion away. I have never needed to sharpen the blade. At one point I was slicing more than 5kgs a month.

It will cut thin if the bacon is slightly frozen.

Just now, puchooay said:

As a side note. Do you wet cure or dry cure?

I cure it with a mix of the pink salt, mustard, pepper etc. Rub it and in a ziplock back in the fridge a week. Wash it dry it then another night uncovered in the fridge. Comes out pretty stiff and dry. Does the job always happy with the result. I used to smoke it to in my copy Weber kettle bbq. Few lumps of charcoal and a 6" x 1" green branch of Mango or Tamarind wood great flavour.

I cure it with a mix of the pink salt, mustard, pepper etc. Rub it and in a ziplock back in the fridge a week. Wash it dry it then another night uncovered in the fridge. Comes out pretty stiff and dry. Does the job always happy with the result. I used to smoke it to in my copy Weber kettle bbq. Few lumps of charcoal and a 6" x 1" green branch of Mango or Tamarind wood great flavour.

I guess you mean regular salt too??? If so, virtually the same as I do. I used to wet cure but it took too long to dry out. The websites I looked at about dry cure kept saying about turn it every day and get rid of the liquid. Seemed like too much hassle. I tried a small batch and just left it in the fridge without touching it. Came out great. Now I only dry cure. Sometimes cut a small piece off before curing to try different recipes. 

57 minutes ago, puchooay said:

I've used one of these. It's a bit cheaper. The blade is only about 8in so only good for smaller bacon like short back. Or shorter that usual middle and streaky.

Had it about 6 years and still going.

https://www.verasu.com/product-detail/2897/Electric Universal Slicer

That looks pretty good, price is right too.

Whichever unit you buy don't get one with a serrated blade, a smooth knife is easy to sharpen and cuts much more evenly (the smooth knife units tend to come with a sharpening tool too).

Do let us know what you get and how well it works, I fancy doing some home curing again the bacon we get here is just total carp.

4 minutes ago, puchooay said:

I guess you mean regular salt too??? If so, virtually the same as I do. I used to wet cure but it took too long to dry out. The websites I looked at about dry cure kept saying about turn it every day and get rid of the liquid. Seemed like too much hassle. I tried a small batch and just left it in the fridge without touching it. Came out great. Now I only dry cure. Sometimes cut a small piece off before curing to try different recipes. 

No the pink salt is called Prague powder. 98% salt with a touch of Sodium Nitrite I think. The nitrite or nitrate or whatever it is kills off bacteria apparently. Can be toxic if too much used.

I just checked my prague powder says use by date 2017. I would have thought it would keep forever. Looks ok?

I always turn mine.

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Whichever unit you buy don't get one with a serrated blade, a smooth knife is easy to sharpen and cuts much more evenly (the smooth knife units tend to come with a sharpening tool too).

They usually come with a serrated and standard blade Crossy. Serrated blade for bread. You didn't use it for meant did you? 5555. Be like a murder scene lol

6 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

They usually come with a serrated and standard blade Crossy. Serrated blade for bread. You didn't use it for meant did you? 5555. Be like a murder scene lol

Nah, I'm harping back to when we sold cold cuts in my parents confectioners, the smooth knifed beastie cut everything beautifully even bread (and fingers, this was before 'ealth and safety).

I've looked at several units on-line and most do not indicate that there are two blades, they show a serrated unit and it's cutting meat (and not particularly well) ????

Like this one:-

https://cloud.video.taobao.com/play/u/3623164586/p/1/e/6/t/10301/50104572678.mp4

No the pink salt is called Prague powder. 98% salt with a touch of Sodium Nitrite I think. The nitrite or nitrate or whatever it is kills off bacteria apparently. Can be toxic if too much used.

I just checked my prague powder says use by date 2017. I would have thought it would keep forever. Looks ok?

I always turn mine.

Oh. OK. I mix my own. About 50g regular salt and 1 teaspoon pink salt per 2kgs of meat.

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

Buying bacon from the shops here for a start ends up[ a quarter of the size after you fry it, and at least 300 baht a kilo

Retail bacon in the chain supermarkets delicatessens is pumped with water. That's why it shrinks to next to nothing. They are effectively selling water at 300 thb/kilo. Just another scam.

Good on you for making your own. 

6 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Nah, I'm harping back to when we sold cold cuts in my parents confectioners, the smooth knifed beastie cut everything beautifully even bread (and fingers, this was before 'ealth and safety).

I've looked at several units on-line and most do not indicate that there are two blades, they show a serrated unit and it's cutting meat (and not particularly well) ????

Like this one:-

https://cloud.video.taobao.com/play/u/3623164586/p/1/e/6/t/10301/50104572678.mp4

From Verasu website:

Capture.PNG

Looks like those that appear serrated are "universal" blades, I'd rather have the "meat and cheese" one. I can see using the bread one on meat may be a little messy ???? 

electric-food-slicer-with-three-19cm-mul

I've been around these kind of slicers my entire life ( had them at home, had them at work )...different sizes, different brands, different uses. I've never really encountered any problems with them of any type. Maybe I was lucky?

The only problem I had with one of the slicers ( fairly recently as well ), was the power switch needed to be replaced. I assume to wear and tear and also careless use by employees.

We've used these type of slicers for cutting prosciutto, Beef Carpaccio and even bread ( but a different blade would be recommended...but you dont need that anyways ???? )

I'd say go for it.

P.S.: Maybe you could even sell ~250g packages of bacon as well ????

• 2 weeks later...

Finished my cure and sliced the bacon. Bacon flavour really good. The way I do it tastes more like cooked leg ham when fried than bacon which I prefer. I make a pretty simple mix

(for approx 2.5kg pork) of 1/4 cup of salt, 2 tablespoons of mustard, tablespoon brown sugar and 1.5 teaspoons prague powder 1#. Rub it all over the pork and give it a good massage. Pop in a ziplock back and in the fridge 7 days. Turn and massage every day. After 7 days remove from bag and wash thoroughly. Then sit in the fridge for 2 days uncovered on a rack. 

The slicer was good. I wouldn't say great like a proper commercial slicer peeling off lovely even slices but did the job. I found after doing about 20 slices, wiping the wheel and smearing a little oil over the face of the cutting wheel with a paper towel helped reduce the drag. Mine is the serrated blade. I think you're right the smooth edge blade would be better but the slicer cost me 500 baht from a mate so hard to complain. Next time I am going to touch the blade up a bit as it rotates on the machine with a sharpening stone.   

I wonder if replacement blades are available for these machines? They all seem to have a similar set up 

On 5/11/2019 at 3:55 PM, Crossy said:

Do let us know what you get and how well it works, I fancy doing some home curing again the bacon we get here is just total carp.

My browser won't let me open the link but I bought one from Verasu, it came with the unversal blade, probably the same/ish. The problem with it is the RPM, very slow. The only way I could get it to work is to nearly freeze the ham and then cut.

32 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Finished my cure and sliced the bacon. Bacon flavour really good. The way I do it tastes more like cooked leg ham when fried than bacon which I prefer. I make a pretty simple mix

(for approx 2.5kg pork) of 1/4 cup of salt, 2 tablespoons of mustard, tablespoon brown sugar and 1.5 teaspoons prague powder 1#. Rub it all over the pork and give it a good massage. Pop in a ziplock back and in the fridge 7 days. Turn and massage every day. After 7 days remove from bag and wash thoroughly. Then sit in the fridge for 2 days uncovered on a rack. 

The slicer was good. I wouldn't say great like a proper commercial slicer peeling off lovely even slices but did the job. I found after doing about 20 slices, wiping the wheel and smearing a little oil over the face of the cutting wheel with a paper towel helped reduce the drag. Mine is the serrated blade. I think you're right the smooth edge blade would be better but the slicer cost me 500 baht from a mate so hard to complain. Next time I am going to touch the blade up a bit as it rotates on the machine with a sharpening stone.   

I wonder if replacement blades are available for these machines? They all seem to have a similar set up 

Sounds great, I should give it a try, I've been grumbling about local, watery bacon recently. Any chance of some pics of your bacon? Where do you get the pink salt from?

TIA

36 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

They do seem to be standard sizes, have a look on aliExpress, you ought to be able to find one that will fit.

4 hours ago, vogie said:

My browser won't let me open the link but I bought one from Verasu, it came with the unversal blade, probably the same/ish. The problem with it is the RPM, very slow. The only way I could get it to work is to nearly freeze the ham and then cut.

Yeah agree I wish it was a bit faster too but then again, if the meat you are cutting has any sort of fat content it builds up on the wheel and starts to drag the meat as it gets smaller. Maybe send it flying across the room if higher RPM ????

4 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

Sounds great, I should give it a try, I've been grumbling about local, watery bacon recently. Any chance of some pics of your bacon? Where do you get the pink salt from?

TIA

I didn't take any pics of it and now all sliced and frozen but it's great trust me. There are several places you can buy the pink salt but Lazada probably the easiest. Search "curing salt" or just curing on Lazada website. It's called pink salt or prague powder number #1. About 280 baht delivered next day. 250gr packet which will last you forever (about 7.5 grams required per 2.5kg)

5 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I didn't take any pics of it and now all sliced and frozen but it's great trust me. There are several places you can buy the pink salt but Lazada probably the easiest. Search "curing salt" or just curing on Lazada website. It's called pink salt or prague powder number #1. About 280 baht delivered next day. 250gr packet which will last you forever (about 7.5 grams required per 2.5kg)

I made some bacon last week. Dry cured. Turned out really well. This week had a go at Ham. Bought a 1kg piece of pork. Wet cured it for 3 days in the fridge.Then a day in the fridge to dry out. Baked in the oven for an hour and a bit. Again excellent result. Will never buy bacon and ham in Thailand again.

I did some ham tonight myself but I dry cured it same as the bacon. I used tender loin fillet, should be nice.

By the way I do a tenderloin pork roast exceptionally good and as good if not better than roast beef.

I season the tenderloin (long strip) salt and pepper. Stud it with garlic. Light brush with sweet soy. Char it up a bit in the frypan, brown each side. Not too long, just enough to sear the meat with a nice crust. Wrap it in foil and do about 45 minutes in the oven about 160 degrees. Results amazing. Great sliced for salads, or sandwiches or nice roast.

Couple of photos finished result. I use loin only now. Belly pork too much fat. Tastes amazing.

Cure...
Mix 1.5 teaspoon pink salt
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoon mustard
1 tablespoon honey or brown sugar
2.5kg pork

Mix together. Massage well in to pork. Put in fridge in zip lock back 7 days.
Turn every day and massage.
After 7 days remove and wash.
Put in fridge on a rack uncovered for 2 days.

Slice and package. Stores well in the freezer20190526_071755.jpeg20190526_071953.jpeg

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I have one of those 30k baht professional meat slicers but got it when a friend's Subway went tits up many years ago.  it ha s a large blade and the cover on the top of the blade can be turned around and it is then a blade sharpener.   In the end y, since you are using it for your business, you need consider ROI.  I can silce3 anything paper tin with no problems.  I don't do much bacon but make my own corned beef and ham and  slice it and rare roast beef for sandwiches.  The thinner the better.

On 5/26/2019 at 7:32 AM, Kenny202 said:

Couple of photos finished result. I use loin only now. Belly pork too much fat. Tastes amazing.

Cure...
Mix 1.5 teaspoon pink salt
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoon mustard
1 tablespoon honey or brown sugar
2.5kg pork

Mix together. Massage well in to pork. Put in fridge in zip lock back 7 days.
Turn every day and massage.
After 7 days remove and wash.
Put in fridge on a rack uncovered for 2 days.

Slice and package. Stores well in the freezer

Would like to give that a try, but the cost of the slicer is an issue as its just for me.

Bacon looks great Kenny.

Would like to give that a try, but the cost of the slicer is an issue as its just for me.
Bacon looks great Kenny.
Really mate if its just for you could slice it with a knife. We make it for our restaurant so needs to be thin and uniform but for home u probably want a bit thicker anyway

Archived