BANGKOK 22 May 2019 10:27
robint

Is it worth learning Thai

23 hours ago, amexpat said:

This ever happen with you?

I go out to eat with a pal.

The waiter says (in English) something like "Good evening gentlemen are you ready to order?"

I order in English. 

Pal starts ordering in "Thai" sorta.

Waiter asks "That's fried pork, right?"

Pal continues ordering in "Thai".

When Pal doesn't get what he thinks he ordered, he is peeved that these idiots can't understand their own damn language. 

I've encountered this quite commonly when out eating with my Wife. 

It's usually because the Person who is taking the order is not Thai, but from Burma, Cambodia or Vietnam. 

But it will also be quite a common occurrence that my Wife will order something in Thai, I've clearly understood her order, the waitress brings the wrong item - I'm at a loss as to what happens in this situation: I suspect the waiter/waitress is just inattentive, not paying attention, or for whatever reason what they expect to hear is what they hear - very strange indeed.

After witnessing such events I know its my the quality of my Thai which is in question when faced with a similar situation, the misunderstanding is commonly down to the intelligence of the listener. I find that when speaking Thai I have far fewer misunderstandings with educated Thai's - perhaps their 'critical' ear is more tuned to recognize and understand the inaccuracies in a foreigners imperfect pronunciation.

9 minutes ago, cranki said:

Wow...so many haters on this thread who are unable to speak Thai after many years...I'd like to ask why are the attacking guys that have made the effort??

Why would they tell you?  It would make them seem not as well adjusted as those who can speak Thai. 

11 minutes ago, cranki said:

Wow...so many haters on this thread who are unable to speak Thai after many years...I'd like to ask why are the attacking guys that have made the effort??

When reading the response of some of 'the haters' its hardly surprises me that they defend their inability to speak Thai with counter arguments often so flawed they border on the downright sad to humorous, but when reading their response in many cases it becomes clear they are yet to master their own language. 

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I've encountered this quite commonly when out eating with my Wife. 

It's usually because the Person who is taking the order is not Thai, but from Burma, Cambodia or Vietnam. 

But it will also be quite a common occurrence that my Wife will order something in Thai, I've clearly understood her order, the waitress brings the wrong item - I'm at a loss as to what happens in this situation: I suspect the waiter/waitress is just inattentive, not paying attention, or for whatever reason what they expect to hear is what they hear - very strange indeed.

After witnessing such events I know its my the quality of my Thai which is in question when faced with a similar situation, the misunderstanding is commonly down to the intelligence of the listener. I find that when speaking Thai I have far fewer misunderstandings with educated Thai's - perhaps their 'critical' ear is more tuned to recognize and understand the inaccuracies in a foreigners imperfect pronunciation.

Maybe sometimes.  In this situation I know enough Thai to tell that the pal's tones are way off and his pronunciation isn't much better while the waiter's English is very good.