How To Save An HTLM Link On Google Drive

JetsetBkk

I have a shortcut to a web page on my Desktop PC. I click on it and the browser runs and opens the page.

I copy that shortcut to my Google Drive. 

I click on that shortcut on Google Drive and I get this:

944541906_NoPreviewAvailable.jpg.a8722c304c2d0321cef5514b8c6fe14e.jpg

If I access Google Drive on my Android phone and click on the shortcut, I get: "This file type is unsupported".

The work-around I use is to create a text file on the Desktop PC which contains the link to the web page.

Then I can upload the text file to Drive and when I open the text file, the link works - both in Android and Windows.

But that means I have to keep creating text files containing the links, or edit the one big text file and add links to it.

Is there a way of uploading a web page shortcut to Drive and get it to work without all this messing around?

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I use Chrome on my PC and phablet to bookmark sites. Do it on either of them and they are saved for both of them.

Yes, but I also want to save other related files (such as pictures, videos, text files) in the same Drive folder as I put the link to the web page.

And obviously there will be lots of folders and sub-folders each containing files relating to a different subject.

So Google Drive could contain all these different types of files, but I just need to know how to save a link to a web page.

When I copy a Windows shortcut to Drive, the file created has the name of the shortcut followed by ".URL".

When I copy it back to the desktop PC, it still works as a shortcut, so the web address is in there somewhere.

9 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

If you’re a Chrome user, hit Ctrl + P when you’ve found an article you want to save, then select Destination > Change > Save to Google Drive. This will then save the webpage to your Drive as a PDF.

More here: https://www.pcworld.com/article/3023194/3-tips-and-tools-for-saving-web-content-to-google-drive.html

OK, just did that, but it did exactly what it says it does - creates a copy of the web page as a PDF, not just a link that you can post on another site.

Doesn't anyone find it odd that you can't save a shortcut on Drive that is readable by a browser?

According to StackExchange, it's not possible to save links in Drive and the answers recommend doing what I am doing - create a document and put the link in it:

https://webapps.stackexchange.com/questions/52727/how-can-i-save-links-to-google-drive

So, fortunately, I haven't lost any info. All the shortcuts that I diligently saved on Drive I can download to my Desktop PC, open them, copy the URL, go back to Drive, open a Google Doc, store the URL, rename the doc and all is how I want it to be.

Thanks Google. Good work. ???? 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived