Police under investigation over ‘judge privileges’ incident

rooster59

Police under investigation over ‘judge privileges’ incident

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1557547321_1-org.jpg

Provincial Police Region 8 Chief Lt Gen Pongwuth Pongsri faces the press in Phuket yesterday afternoon (May 10). Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub)

PHUKET: Provincial Police Region 8 Chief Lt Gen Pongwuth Pongsri was in Phuket yesterday (May 10) to hear in person what transpired in the incident over the Chief Judge in Nakhon Sri Thammarat allegedly refusing to hand over his driver’s licence, which resulted in the police officer in question being immediately transferred to desk duties.

The incident involves L/Cpl Ekapol Juisongkaeo of the Thung Yai Police stopping a white Honda Accord and asking the driver for his driver’s licence during a routine stop at a checkpoint in Tha Yang Subdistrict last Thursday night (May 2).

The driver refused and claimed to be a chief judge of the Criminal Court for Corruption and Misconduct Cases, Region 8, which has jurisdiction in the upper South. The driver also claimed to know the Thung Yai Police chief, L/Cpl Ekapol’s supervisor.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/police-under-investigation-over-judge-privileges-incident-71387.php#2XEbgRMDbD8djBx2.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-05-12

45 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

The driver refused and claimed to be a chief judge of the Criminal Court for Corruption and Misconduct Cases, Region 8, which has jurisdiction in the upper South. The driver also claimed to know the Thung Yai Police chief, L/Cpl Ekapol’s supervisor.

in effect bribery, charge him as such

Poor Lance Corporal Ekkapol. What a god-awful future he faces. After a decent (or indecent, depending on your perspective) period of time, he will be quietly shifted (or shafted) to Yala where he will be assigned night guard duties at a lonely plantation. He will be allowed to keep his sidearm in case he's attacked by a dozen insurgents with AK 47s. If he's killed in the line of duty, he will be posthumously promoted to full corporal so that his family can enjoy a marvellous pension. But at least his kids will grow up knowing the full meaning behind the sentiment "do you know who I am?", unlike him.

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Him being a judge should know the law, sorry this is Thailand

4 hours ago, Pilotman said:

says it all about the none existence of a true 'Rule of Law' here.

Not excusing the frequent abuse of power in Thailand, but if any of you think this doesn't happen back in your home countries, you are totally naive. 

Almost this exact same scenario played out in my home state of Massachusetts a few years ago. 

State cops pulled over a woman for drunk driving. Turned out she was a judge's daughter and she gave the cops the "Do you know who I am?" routine. They wrote her up anyway.  The next day, their commander demanded they rescind and re-write their reports, removing any reference to drunk driving. They refused and were both put on discipline and the commander re-wrote the reports and forged their signatures.

The press got wind of it and it did't take long for the poop to hit the fan. Result, several senior officers forced to resign (pensions intact, of course) and it opened the door for a larger investigation about false claims of overtime that so far has resulted it criminal charges against 10 cops and the resignations of many ranking brass...again, pensions intact.

5 minutes ago, dddave said:

Not excusing the frequent abuse of power in Thailand, but if any of you think this doesn't happen back in your home countries, you are totally naive. 

Almost this exact same scenario played out in my home state of Massachusetts a few years ago. 

State cops pulled over a woman for drunk driving. Turned out she was a judge's daughter and she gave the cops the "Do you know who I am?" routine. They wrote her up anyway.  The next day, their commander demanded they rescind and re-write their reports, removing any reference to drunk driving. They refused and were both put on discipline and the commander re-wrote the reports and forged their signatures.

The press got wind of it and it did't take long for the poop to hit the fan. Result, several senior officers forced to resign (pensions intact, of course) and it opened the door for a larger investigation about false claims of overtime that so far has resulted it criminal charges against 10 cops and the resignations of many ranking brass...again, pensions intact.

I have no illusions about the UK, believe  me,  but the protection and application of the Rule of Law, as we understand it in west,  is not an area of concern at all. Corruption and the flagrant disregard for the Laws of the Land are endemic and  institutionalised in Thailand, not so in the UK.   The Rule of Law has been the cornerstone of society  and democracy in the UK for many hundreds of years, not so here.  

3 hours ago, nahkit said:

Whilst I welcome the police investigation it would be nice if the judge was also investigated.

The police investigation is being conducted by themselves (internally).  Regarding the judge, the PM was stated as follows:

The prime minister also asked the Office of the Court of Justice to investigate the matter,

Any driver in the road in the UK (except the Queen) including the rest of the Royal Family is subject to the same requirements to  produce a licence and obey the law. My ex wife typed the summons for the Princess Royal’s first speeding offence, she was convicted and fined. The only people who can escape conviction are those foreigners with diplomatic privilege.

This judge would have been treated the same as any other driver in the UK, up to being arrested/reported and charged if he committed any offences. 

"After the incident, Thung Yai Police Chief Col Chokedee Rakwatanapong immediately transferred L/Cpl Ekapol to desk duties at Thung Yai Police Station “to work closely to him so he could learn more about desk duty and study laws thoroughly”."

Translated: After the incident, Thung Yai Police Chief Col Chokedee Rakwatanapong immediately transferred L/Cpl Ekapol to desk duties at Thung Yai Police Station,  so the moron will never ever consider pulling over a puuyai no less a puuyai judge in the future.

This is doing the rounds on Thai social media now.  The average commoner Thais are rather disturbed by this incident.  Sometimes I love social media as it cuts right through the buffalo poo.  

12 minutes ago, connda said:

"After the incident, Thung Yai Police Chief Col Chokedee Rakwatanapong immediately transferred L/Cpl Ekapol to desk duties at Thung Yai Police Station “to work closely to him so he could learn more about desk duty and study laws thoroughly”."

Translated: After the incident, Thung Yai Police Chief Col Chokedee Rakwatanapong immediately transferred L/Cpl Ekapol to desk duties at Thung Yai Police Station,  so the moron will never ever consider pulling over a puuyai no less a puuyai judge in the future.

This is doing the rounds on Thai social media now.  The average commoner Thais are rather disturbed by this incident.  Sometimes I love social media as it cuts right through the buffalo poo.  

'rather disturbed'; they should be outraged. 

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I have no illusions about the UK, believe  me,  but the protection and application of the Rule of Law, as we understand it in west,  is not an area of concern at all. Corruption and the flagrant disregard for the Laws of the Land are endemic and  institutionalised in Thailand, not so in the UK.   The Rule of Law has been the cornerstone of society  and democracy in the UK for many hundreds of years, not so here.  

I think democracy in the uk will thrown out of the window. If they dont follow the peoples wishes of leaving the eu!!

7 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I remember an incident, in the UK, was reported in the media of a Police Commissioner driving home from an evening function, stopped by his own Traffic Division, breathalised, failed, and charged and then due process occurred - I agree with Pilotman.

19 hours ago, HHTel said:

The prime minister also asked the Office of the Court of Justice to investigate the matter,

I will examine the facts only in relation to the police first,” Gen Pongwuth said.

1 hour ago, nahkit said:

I will examine the facts only in relation to the police first,” Gen Pongwuth said.

Which has nothing to do with the post you quoted, related to the Office of the Court of Justice.

Archived