Private hospitals ordered to display medicine prices

rooster59

11 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I can't workout why the price has to be on the prescription?

So you can workout what you are paying for and how much before you actually buy and then when you see the meds and say I don't need these!!!! duh???

14 minutes ago, pmh2009 said:
11 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I can't workout why the price has to be on the prescription?

So you can workout what you are paying for and how much before you actually buy and then when you see the meds and say I don't need these!!!! duh???

The way I understood it:

I thought the prescription was for the pharmacist you choose to go to, so they can sell you the medication.

If the (expensive hospital) price was on it, then the the pharmacist might have the chance to charge more than they'd usually sell it for?

20 hours ago, Puccini said:

When was the last time you got a prescription from a doctor at a private hospital in Thailand and at what hospital was this?

Bangkok Pattaya Hospital - you only have to ask !

This, IMO, is the key provision:

"Private hospitals, which refuse to issue prescriptions to patients for medicine purchases outside the hospital, will face up to 5 years imprisonment, up to 100,000 baht fine, or both. "

With this, people can vote with their feet.

Since the hospitals currently do not allow their doctors to do this it will need strict enforcement. One hopes the government will set up a hotline people can call when they are unsuccessful in getting a prescription for outside use.

Posted pricelists aren't going to help anything but if people truly have the option of getting their medications elsewhere it will bring market forces to bear and hospital pharmacies will actually have to compete with private pharmacies.

On 5/12/2019 at 10:39 AM, JoePai said:

Unless you are new to Thailand, everyone knows the Private Hospitals inflate the price of medicines. Therefore instead of moaning simply ask the Doctor for the prescription and buy the medicines at your local pharmacy !

Note : these are Private Hospitals with shareholders that want returns (like any other company) so they should be able to charge what they want. If you do not like it then simply go to another hospital or use the Government hospitals – what can be simpler than that ?

WOW! What a great idea.  Pricing information allows patients to make an informed choice!  The problem has always been the surprise after the first stay at a private hospital.  They can charge whatever they want as long as they list the prices.

20,000 baht fine is a joke.  Most hospitals would rather pay the fine than list their prices.

On 5/12/2019 at 4:39 AM, JoePai said:

Unless you are new to Thailand, everyone knows the Private Hospitals inflate the price of medicines. Therefore instead of moaning simply ask the Doctor for the prescription and buy the medicines at your local pharmacy !

Note : these are Private Hospitals with shareholders that want returns (like any other company) so they should be able to charge what they want. If you do not like it then simply go to another hospital or use the Government hospitals – what can be simpler than that ?

Not as simple as that.  The unknowing,after accident would be shifted by ambulance to one of these for profit private hospitals,they pay more for delivery,once stung never again,and even then its worth arguing the toss with them. 

Heard few stories of people getting stung,even violence was reported a year or so ago.   would like to see them detain people for not paying,myself id just lie their in locked room,they would have to feed you etc.,but see who gives up first,would not be me for sure

On 5/13/2019 at 3:20 AM, JoePai said:

Bangkok Pattaya Hospital - you only have to ask !

At the BNH hospital in Bangkok, after my insistence on a prescription the urolgist said he did not have a prescription pad and was not allowed by the hospital to write prescriptions. In the end, he merely wrote the name of the medicine on a scrap of paper, which of course my travel insurance would not have accepted for a refund claim.

To this day, I have never seen a prescription given to a patient by a doctor in Thailand. Your experience indicates that miracles do happen.

he merely wrote the name of the medicine on a scrap of paper, which of course my travel insurance would not have accepted for a refund claim.

i was in a similar situation, doctor wrote down the medication for me which i bought at Fascino. I provided invoice to Travel insurance company and they paid

Archived