Hefty fines for vans older than 10 years running passenger services

rooster59

Hefty fines for vans older than 10 years running passenger services

Thammarat Thadaphrom

f36d994d9b9e8f2ff8bf9e58c28490fe.jpeg

BANGKOK, 11 MAY 2019(NNT)- The Department of Land Transport (DLT) has warned passenger van operators that any deployment of vans over 10 years old in service will result in 50,000 - 200,000 baht fines.

Following the DLT regulation, limiting the maximum age of vans serving passengers on regular routes to less than 10 years old from date of first registration for passenger safety, any violation by operators will result in 50,000 to 200,000 baht fines. The regulation is in place in keeping with insurance companies’ policies which will not provide compensation in any accident case involving vans older than 10 years, which will cause trouble to operators and not provide necessary protection to passengers. Passengers are encouraged to report any issues involving public van services to the 1584 24-hour call center.

In the meantime, the DLT is also pushing forward a campaign encouraging the use of mini buses to replace vans, starting with vans older than 10 years.

During the transition period, the DLT is also offering low-interest loans to carriers, through a Memorandum of Understanding between the Transport Company, Krungthai Bank and Thai Credit Guarantee Corporation, for operators to replace their vans with mini-buses. A One Stop Service center has also been set up to facilitate and assist transport operators regarding the replacement of vans reaching their end of service life.

nnt_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright nnt 2019-05-12

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing how they focus on the age of the van, as if that has played in any of the magnificent accidents that have occurred with the infamous "vans of death".

Deflecting blame has won out again over reality. 

If they really wanted the Mini-Buses on the road and wanted to be fair to the drivers they would SUBSIDIES the much more expensive mini-buses..But Profit is the priority here not safety.....Safety is way down the list....

The Mini-Buses hold a whopping 3-4 more passengers but repairs and running cost are much higher....

The Mini Buses are a bad bad deal for the drivers all the way around.....And they know it....

38 minutes ago, Nowisee said:

Amazing how they focus on the age of the van, as if that has played in any of the magnificent accidents that have occurred with the infamous "vans of death".

Deflecting blame has won out again over reality. 

Yes very true

The van did it,   not the stupid selfish somchai's driving them.

that cause the accidents.

Update the drivers,  not the vans.

This same rule was stated a couple of years ago.....the van owners kicked up a storm and things reverted back to the usual with many old heaps still on the roads.

It ain't going to be any different this time....more pi$$ and wind!

The van (yellow plate) licensing and checking has actually become quite strict. This article is very confusing , are they going to stop renewing the yellow plates after 10 years? Not all yellow plate vehicles are on standard A-B routes.

These minibuses wouldn't happen to be imports from China by any chance, would they? Actually , maybe produced now at their factory on the Eastern Seaboard - joint venture CP and SAIC.

1 hour ago, unamazedloso said:

hefty fines for any drivers with a maturity level over the age of 10yrs also I would presume?

So long as we can keep these van drivers keeping with there culture im all for it and drive myself thanks...

The impossible we can do. Miracles will take just a bit longer.

CM is going to have some problems for sure with school vans. There are a few on the road that are more than 40 years old. Many that are over 20 years old and oodles over 10yrs. How does this enter the equation? Even one or two nice schools have a bus that are definitely over 20-30 years, but they seem in really good shape. Also the military takes kids to school in their 30 - 40 year old green buses and trucks. What are they going to do about that? Either do all together or leave them all alone. It is picking on a certain group, even though I really hate van drivers on the whole.

1 hour ago, Dumbastheycome said:

If that regulation extends  to school transport then my neighbor could have a problem. He uses an old Isuzu that has to be at  20 years old!!

Yea, but I bet he has a sign in the truck bed area saying "Hang On Children!!!" which satisfies any safety regulation.

I do know that the van I  referred to  does get inspected and certified. Or should I say until now. In te past the owner has mumbled about being harrassed  by police on more than one occasion with  questions  about using such an old vehicle. He  also has a newer Toyota his son drives for same purpose but it too is more than 10 years old.

Perhaps this  new  initiative is more  about providing a vehicle sales opportunity than about safety ?

That said many countries do have  stringent passenger vehicle regs including maximum vehicle age regardless of apparent good condition.

Archived