Running Mains Electric Cable

16 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

I hope you have better luck with tarps than I have.  I would forget the tarps and just put something over the box.  ????

No luck required, I have had many jobs done from this guy and he knows his <deleted>.

9 hours ago, Isan Farang said:

No luck required, I have had many jobs done from this guy and he knows his <deleted>.

I’m sure that your guy knows his ???? deleted ???? however I am sure that no tarpaulin is capable of standing up to the Tornadoes that we get in our area (it’s certainly probable that you get them too) they regularly take roofs of buildings. A recent one last year took over 160 and it was less than 10km away, though that was a bit big, last week a couple were taken off in our village. Then there was the one a couple of months ago that took down over 40 PEA power poles over about 3km between us and the local town.

Your roof is probably safe but no tarpaulin will be.

Note that any additional protection for the box only has to keep the blown rain off. A simple wood box with 3 sides and a lid with a perspex front (so you can see the breakers) would be more than adequate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Note that any additional protection for the box only has to keep the blown rain off. A simple wood box with 3 sides and a lid with a perspex front (so you can see the breakers) would be more than adequate.

Actually the main purpose of this cover is to avoid the direct sunlight that hits this shed. After the cover job is complete I will then fit my pump.

I will post some pictures when complete

WT-P200XS-600x601[1].jpg

18 hours ago, Isan Farang said:

I am having canvas tarps made to measure at a shop in Ubon to cover all 4 sides

As mentioned by others tarps are probably not a good idea.

They will need regular checking and some maintenance, will flap about in even the slightest breeze and any strong wind will make them balloon and possibly blow down your structure.

On my last visit to Thai Watsadu, just before the virus lockdown, I noticed a stack of large aluminum louver panels in one of the isles.

I was in a bit of a hurry so didn't have time to check them out but thought I could probably use them on my outside water tank which has a roof to keep off the midday Sun but needs something on the East and West sides where the Sun hits the tank and warms the water each morning and afternoon.

The panels were something like this but aluminum not black color:-955877998_aluminiumlouver.jpg.7e817eaefc989ffc28bfcfb32c47bdf0.jpg 

Erm! Probably more expensive than tarps but once in place maintenance free and the wind can blow through without building up pressure in and taking the roof of your structure.

And keeping the water tanks cool.  

aluminium louver.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks nice. 

Just a thought, looks like it might get a bit hot in there. Perhaps have a gap at at the top of the canvas, under the roof overhang so the rain can't get in but the air inside can circulate.

Just a thought. Anyway nice job.  :thumbsup:

On 5/13/2019 at 10:11 AM, eyecatcher said:

Both....oh, seems I am wrong, my spark did say they can be buried if they are ducted. 

but if this is a no no.....sorry

Thai electricians don't seem to worry about not burying it in conduit underground. Maybe not all Thai electricians.

47 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Thai electricians don't seem to worry about not burying it in conduit underground. Maybe not all Thai electricians.

NYY cable does not need to be in a conduit underground.

I would not put 'standard' cables (VAF and THW) underground with or without a conduit.

16 hours ago, Crossy said:

Well those are going nowhere, but I can't help thinking that walls may have been cheaper.

For sure it may have been cheaper, but for the future i may need to change out one of the tanks and also need to remove the carbon filter to change out the media i think the tarp plan is the way to go as its not a hassle to remove the bolts on any given side and roll up the tarp for easy access.

Next plan is to start building the house around October.

Have also recently completed one other small building with toilet, storeroom & sitting area 

P4010828.JPG

P4010835.JPG

P4010837.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2020 at 9:18 AM, longball53098 said:

Just an observation on this. Any openings provide a perfect way for birds or other critters to find a way to building new homes for their young,,,,,,,,,

worry  more  about rats/squirrels, put a load of traps  down, I  regularly kill them here as they can chew thru almost anything and often  will. Had them in the lfot once despite the special plastic  inserts to stop birds  squirrels etc, they actually  chewed thru the   half  inch thick cement board to get in. I found 10 baby rats in the loft which my Jaramet fish (red  bellied pacu relative of pirahana with teeth) polished off in about 1  second