New passport transfer of retirement extension stamp

Myshkin

I just received my new passport from my embassy in Bangkok together with the old cancelled passport and a note from the embassy to the immigration office to kindly transfer the current retirement visa which is valid until end Dec 2019 to the new passport.

I plan to go to the Chiang Mai immigration in the next few days. Do I need to take any other documents along? copies, etc...?

Thanks in advance for any input or personal experience.

I did mine without any other documents. Probably should have gone to Immigration immediately, but left it till the next visa due date. No problem.

I did get an odd look and the question.... "why you have two passport?".... (Duh, it hurts my brain).

But then, every IO is different! (Mine was CW).

When I did the transfer of stamps a couple of years ago, they required a photocopy (all copies signed, of course) of every filled-out page of the old passport.  And the one form (Transfer to New Passport....forget which TM number it was) completed and signed.  I didn't need the embassy letter you mentioned as my new passport was issued in the US when I was there on a trip...but it's apparently required if you get your new passport while in Thailand.

No fee for the transfer and hopefully it will be quick and easy for you.

13 hours ago, CMBob said:

When I did the transfer of stamps a couple of years ago, they required a photocopy (all copies signed, of course) of every filled-out page of the old passport.  And the one form (Transfer to New Passport....forget which TM number it was) completed and signed.  I didn't need the embassy letter you mentioned as my new passport was issued in the US when I was there on a trip...but it's apparently required if you get your new passport while in Thailand.

No fee for the transfer and hopefully it will be quick and easy for you.

I did it some time back at Pattaya Immigration - had to make copies of old passport pages and new passport face page.  I also had the US Embassy letter to Immigration as I had renewed my passport while here in Thailand. There was a form to complete, but it was unnumbered (not a TM form) and may have been developed locally.  No fee and transfer of information completed within an hour.

Didn't the rules change some time ago in that an extension of stay will only be given to the expiry date of your passport. Then you were required to apply for a further extension in your new passport plus a further 1,900 baht.

I believe under the new rules (2019), an extension will be refused if you have less than 12 months on your passport.  This is due to the ongoing 12 month requirement of financials, be it monthly income or 'cash in the bank'.

At least that's the info coming from our IO.

37 minutes ago, HHTel said:

... in that an extension of stay will only be given to the expiry date of your passport. 

It is not primarily a question of transferring the residence permit, but of the originally obtained OA visa with which the residence permit was applied for. 

55 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Didn't the rules change some time ago in that an extension of stay will only be given to the expiry date of your passport. Then you were required to apply for a further extension in your new passport plus a further 1,900 baht.

I believe under the new rules (2019), an extension will be refused if you have less than 12 months on your passport.  This is due to the ongoing 12 month requirement of financials, be it monthly income or 'cash in the bank'.

If you wish to get a full year's extension for your visa, you will need that full year to be valid on your passport. They will not put a 12 month extension on a passport that has only 10 months validity. How this pans out for future extensions and having to reapply and start the process again, I am not sure.

I double checked this with IO when my passport came close to renewal. I was only 2 weeks short of validity , so still had to get new passport to get the year visa.

last year, i took, old and new passport to jomtien immigration, to renew my non O A  retirement extension..

i thought i had ALL  the required paperwork, but NO... they said that i needed a letter from nz embassy to transfer my visa....???

totally baffled by all the changing requirements, so i contacted a visa agent{lawyer}..

gave him all my paperwork....he had my new visa transfered to new passport by 10am next morning...

why does immigration people always dream up new rules ????

i cant be bothered playing their games...i have everything legit, but its much easier to pay an agent....

At Chiang Mai to transfer your visa you need

- the letter/form they give you at the Passport office

- a form at the immigration  (no number, just says "transfer stamp to new passport")

- photocopies of front/picture page of new passport as well as every page in your old passport.

I transferred my marriage extension in January. Took both passports and the US Embassy letter to Surin IM. The TM 6, 90-day receipt and 10 stamps transferred using 3 pages. Thirty minutes later, I was out the door. No fee. 

5 hours ago, HHTel said:

So you ensure you get a new passport before you apply for an new extension if the old passport would have less than 12 months left before expiration. 

I assume most passports have at least a ten year life so this shouldn't impose an onerous burden on most people who are capable of planning ahead.

it seems if you maintained B800,000 or 400,000 in the bank continuously, you would satisfy the financial requirements for both the old and new extension even if the new one is less than 12 months.

Hi

For some reason I can’t work this out ( age?) so any help would be gratefully received

My passport expires May 2020 - my extension to stay via retirement
Expires Jan 2020 - I intend to renew the passport Oct 2019

If I go to CW in Jan with both passports will they put the new visa in the new passport or do I need to move the existing visa prior to Jan 19

Thanks for your help

John

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Did the transfer of retirement extension  from old passport to new in Chiang Mai today, just gave them copies of all pages with Thai stuff on them and also front page of new passport and old passport and latest entry stamp and filled in the form, no problems although after an hour holding the number one ticket and never seeing anyone at the desk I did remind them that I was there, all good.

This was covered some time ago and as far as I know, the rules until now haven't changed:

Immigration makes the following annoucement:

Announcement

According to the New Regulation from August 13, 2013,
when submitting application for Visa Extension if the validity of passport of the applicant is not longer than one year left before expiry,
the extension of stay will be permitted not exceeding the expired date of passport.
After the renewal of your passport of obtaining a new passport,
you have to re-apply for Visa Extension by submitting required document and paying extension fee ( 1,900 Baht ).
In case of overstay, the fine is 500 Baht per day

Source: http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/intro1.html

In the past when your passport expired, you would get a permission to stay until the expiry date of your passport. When you had a new passport you returned to immigration to transfer the details to the new passport and get the remainder of the extension of stay placed in your new passport for free.

The new policy means that now when you get a new passport because the old one has expired you have to apply for a new extension of stay, with all the accompanying paperwork and of course pay the usual extension fee of 1,900 baht.

This will mean more paperwork and a better preperation for people who's passport is about to expire.

•  

The difference now (according to IO sources in Hua Hin) is that because the rules that came into effect this year, a shortened extension of stay is no longer possible as the financial qualification covers 12 months.  Therefore, I'm told that unless you have 1 year validity in your passport, an extension of stay will not be allowed.

16 hours ago, Jbrin said:

Hi

For some reason I can’t work this out ( age?) so any help would be gratefully received

If I go to CW in Jan with both passports will they put the new visa in the new passport or do I need to move the existing visa prior to Jan 19

Thanks for your help

John

When they transfer to the new passport, they put stamps in with your visa history, and details of your old passport and current extension. Takes up the first two pages in my passport.

So yes, you do need to go through the transfer process before you do a new extension, but I don't see any reason why you can't do both on the same day.

Save the old passport. I have heard tell of, but have no personal experience of, people being asked for copies from this for future extensions. You should not be asked for them, but it is as well to be able to provide them if you are.

16 hours ago, Jbrin said:

Hi

Thanks for your help

John

When you take both passports to Immigration, they will place stamps in your new passport that shows your current history, i.e., the last visa used to enter Thailand and each extension of stay based on entry under that visa. I say "history" because the stamps used are not the same as the original entries into the old passport.  When I did mine, the several pages of stamps were reduced to stamps only on one page.     At time of renewal of my one year extension of stay (often referred to as renewal of visa), I only needed to copy the face page and one page of stamps that showed the "history" along with copy of Departure card, photo, and application for extension.  No need to show the old passport.

However, I am not sure, but if I recall correctly from other postings, if your old passport has a Re-Entry stamp that has not expired, it will not be transferred to the new passport, thus the old one may be needed if one departs and returns before their extension (visa) renewal date.  If I'm incorrect on that, I'm sure someone will most likely point it out.

14 hours ago, soisanuk said:

However, I am not sure, but if I recall correctly from other postings, if your old passport has a Re-Entry stamp that has not expired, it will not be transferred to the new passport, thus the old one may be needed if one departs and returns before their extension (visa) renewal date.  If I'm incorrect on that, I'm sure someone will most likely point it out.

I went to immigration today for the transfer of the visa from old passport to new passport, and they did transfer the single re-entry stamp in the new passport as well.

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 8:40 PM, Raymond Hoskings said:

Did the transfer of retirement extension  from old passport to new in Chiang Mai today, just gave them copies of all pages with Thai stuff on them and also front page of new passport and old passport and latest entry stamp and filled in the form, no problems although after an hour holding the number one ticket and never seeing anyone at the desk I did remind them that I was there, all good.

Thank you for your useful input. I did mine today and took along all the copies you mentioned, signed by me. I just had to fill the form they presented me. Was in and out in one hour. All fine.
Now, I will see if I can do the 90 days online next time, or if for the first one I will have to do it in person at the office, as some people have reported. I've been doing it online successfully since it was introduced a few years ago.

• 2 months later...

I just got my new passport and plan to transfer all the stamps. Can anyone clarify if the process must be done in person or can be assigned to a proxy? I will do it at CW and don't want to spend whole day for this. 

I just got my new passport and plan to transfer all the stamps. Can anyone clarify if the process must be done in person or can be assigned to a proxy? I will do it at CW and don't want to spend whole day for this. 

Please post references for reports that it takes a whole day. Never heard of such a thing.

Give your lawyer a POA and they can do it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 5/13/2019 at 11:25 AM, murraynz said:

last year, i took, old and new passport to jomtien immigration, to renew my non O A  retirement extension..

i thought i had ALL  the required paperwork, but NO... they said that i needed a letter from nz embassy to transfer my visa....???

totally baffled by all the changing requirements, so i contacted a visa agent{lawyer}..

gave him all my paperwork....he had my new visa transfered to new passport by 10am next morning...

why does immigration people always dream up new rules ????

i cant be bothered playing their games...i have everything legit, but its much easier to pay an agent....

There is an official form "Transfer of Stamps" you get from your embassy in BKK when they give you the new passport. You hand it over to Immigration together with other needed documents when need your stamps transferred. It's not a made-up rule. 

transferstamp.docx

Archived