BANGKOK 26 June 2019 17:09
Myshkin

New passport transfer of retirement extension stamp

I just received my new passport from my embassy in Bangkok together with the old cancelled passport and a note from the embassy to the immigration office to kindly transfer the current retirement visa which is valid until end Dec 2019 to the new passport.

I plan to go to the Chiang Mai immigration in the next few days. Do I need to take any other documents along? copies, etc...?

Thanks in advance for any input or personal experience.

When I did the transfer of stamps a couple of years ago, they required a photocopy (all copies signed, of course) of every filled-out page of the old passport.  And the one form (Transfer to New Passport....forget which TM number it was) completed and signed.  I didn't need the embassy letter you mentioned as my new passport was issued in the US when I was there on a trip...but it's apparently required if you get your new passport while in Thailand.

No fee for the transfer and hopefully it will be quick and easy for you.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, CMBob said:

When I did the transfer of stamps a couple of years ago, they required a photocopy (all copies signed, of course) of every filled-out page of the old passport.  And the one form (Transfer to New Passport....forget which TM number it was) completed and signed.  I didn't need the embassy letter you mentioned as my new passport was issued in the US when I was there on a trip...but it's apparently required if you get your new passport while in Thailand.

No fee for the transfer and hopefully it will be quick and easy for you.

I did it some time back at Pattaya Immigration - had to make copies of old passport pages and new passport face page.  I also had the US Embassy letter to Immigration as I had renewed my passport while here in Thailand. There was a form to complete, but it was unnumbered (not a TM form) and may have been developed locally.  No fee and transfer of information completed within an hour.

Edited by soisanuk
  • Like 1

Didn't the rules change some time ago in that an extension of stay will only be given to the expiry date of your passport. Then you were required to apply for a further extension in your new passport plus a further 1,900 baht.

I believe under the new rules (2019), an extension will be refused if you have less than 12 months on your passport.  This is due to the ongoing 12 month requirement of financials, be it monthly income or 'cash in the bank'.

At least that's the info coming from our IO.

37 minutes ago, HHTel said:

... in that an extension of stay will only be given to the expiry date of your passport. 

It is not primarily a question of transferring the residence permit, but of the originally obtained OA visa with which the residence permit was applied for. 

55 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Didn't the rules change some time ago in that an extension of stay will only be given to the expiry date of your passport. Then you were required to apply for a further extension in your new passport plus a further 1,900 baht.

I believe under the new rules (2019), an extension will be refused if you have less than 12 months on your passport.  This is due to the ongoing 12 month requirement of financials, be it monthly income or 'cash in the bank'.

If you wish to get a full year's extension for your visa, you will need that full year to be valid on your passport. They will not put a 12 month extension on a passport that has only 10 months validity. How this pans out for future extensions and having to reapply and start the process again, I am not sure.

I double checked this with IO when my passport came close to renewal. I was only 2 weeks short of validity , so still had to get new passport to get the year visa.

last year, i took, old and new passport to jomtien immigration, to renew my non O A  retirement extension..

i thought i had ALL  the required paperwork, but NO... they said that i needed a letter from nz embassy to transfer my visa....???

totally baffled by all the changing requirements, so i contacted a visa agent{lawyer}..

gave him all my paperwork....he had my new visa transfered to new passport by 10am next morning...

why does immigration people always dream up new rules ????

i cant be bothered playing their games...i have everything legit, but its much easier to pay an agent....

At Chiang Mai to transfer your visa you need

- the letter/form they give you at the Passport office

- a form at the immigration  (no number, just says "transfer stamp to new passport")

- photocopies of front/picture page of new passport as well as every page in your old passport.

• Like 1

I transferred my marriage extension in January. Took both passports and the US Embassy letter to Surin IM. The TM 6, 90-day receipt and 10 stamps transferred using 3 pages. Thirty minutes later, I was out the door. No fee. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, HHTel said:

So you ensure you get a new passport before you apply for an new extension if the old passport would have less than 12 months left before expiration. 

I assume most passports have at least a ten year life so this shouldn't impose an onerous burden on most people who are capable of planning ahead.

it seems if you maintained B800,000 or 400,000 in the bank continuously, you would satisfy the financial requirements for both the old and new extension even if the new one is less than 12 months.

Edited by Suradit69

Hi

For some reason I can’t work this out ( age?) so any help would be gratefully received

My passport expires May 2020 - my extension to stay via retirement
Expires Jan 2020 - I intend to renew the passport Oct 2019

If I go to CW in Jan with both passports will they put the new visa in the new passport or do I need to move the existing visa prior to Jan 19

Thanks for your help

John

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

In Samui I took my old and new passport to IMO they transferred all the details over cost me 500 baht no receipt given

Did the transfer of retirement extension  from old passport to new in Chiang Mai today, just gave them copies of all pages with Thai stuff on them and also front page of new passport and old passport and latest entry stamp and filled in the form, no problems although after an hour holding the number one ticket and never seeing anyone at the desk I did remind them that I was there, all good.

• Like 1