HELP PLEASE!

7 hours ago, Paul Catton said:

Does the maid actually vacuum clean? Or perhaps, hand polishes the ornaments! :offtopic::sorry: Couldn't resist.

Ours does also she washes the ornaments, polishes the furniture vacuums and washes the floors etc etc

At Thai rates great value

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, orientfan said:

Thanks for interesting replies. Yes, it's a visa extension renewal based on retirement. And I have moved to Bangkok since last year's renewal. Renewal seems a straightforward from in Pattaya and CM but protracted and problematic at CW.
Any further thoughts or recommendations are welcome.

I think I've been very lucky. Been using an agent who works for herself since I retired in Chiang Mai more than 8 years ago and she's great! She has charged me 1,500-2,000 over the years (and I always tip her 500) to do all of my paperwork beforehand and have someone wait in line early in the morning so I was always #1 when I showed up later. She knows everyone at immigration and knows the ropes. Also, anytime I have a question or problem during the year, she's there to help me out...no charge. I could renew my extension myself but she's like a friend now and I enjoy helping her and her family out...and getting great service in return. I would definitely recommend her to you if you were renewing in CM. If you find a good agent at a decent price, I think it's worth every baht you pay.

FYI if I had to pay 10-20K like some others mentioned, I would do it myself.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Captain 776 said:

Absolutely not.......just do it yourself........it’s easy

My wife's 12 year old niece did the paperwork for my retirement extension.  It's not like it's difficult. 

Edited by marcusarelus

4 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

Indeed 

If one has his ducks in a row - bank letter. Passbook updated that day you apply and visa extension piece of paper filled out with attached passport photo, it's a piece of cake. 

Using an agent is the lazy man's route. 

What utter nonsense.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

This type of thread will always bring in the naysayers who pour scorn on those who use an agent. IMHO there are probably some of them who are sailing so close to the wind financially they can't afford the few thousand baht.

I use an agent because I can afford it, and I have better things to do with my time than to be subject to the whims of an IO. Extensions are a breeze for me. The extensions of those who don't use an agent are prone to variation without notice.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Except that there is no such thing. There is "extension of stay based on retirement"

Yes, the last time I went to Immigration and asked for an 'extension of stay based on retirement' form, he looked at me and said 'huh'!!!    I repeated my question and in a gruff tone, he said 'Ohhh' (you know, the way they do), 'retirement form' and handed me the correct form!!!!    'Extension of stay based on retirement' is a bit of a mouthful for them -or anyone else!!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BertM said:

Some people can easily afford to pay an agent to make things quick & easy. You shouldn't put down on people who have money.

Most people brag here how they could afford everything but won't use an agent to ease their chores because it is so super easy and takes only 15 minutes  and lazy not do it by yourself. And we get post after post of how IOs are asking for more irrelevant documents to push people to agents. I don't know what to believe in this forum. But I salute those guys for their noble sacrifice of donating their money to children's hospitals instead of paying to an agent to ease their life's chores

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 1

I always go in just after lunch and usually find that there are a lot of queue numbers to which nobody responds.  I get my extension and re-entry and am usually out by 4:00.  I have all of the forms on my computer ready to print out once I edit the appropriate data.  I file my 90-day reports by mail.  I just print out the TM-47 and mail it with the appropriate copies and previous 90-day receipt.  It costs me 51 baht and takes about 15 minutes of preparation.  From my point of view, using an agent is only a little less troublesome but then I am used to doing the paperwork.  Some people are not used to doing paperwork and feel more confident if someone does it for them.  To each his own!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

The extensions of those who don't use an agent are prone to variation without notice.

If you use an agent exclusively, how would you possibly know how the non-agent users get along?

Now what's all this about naysayers and scorn again?

25 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

If you use an agent exclusively, how would you possibly know how the non-agent users get along?

I can work this out by counting up the non-agent users who have positive experiences, against those who have gone through immigration hell. Permit me to doubt you have done the same.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kenk24 said:

using an agent... they took my photo, filled out all forms, just had me sign here and there, made the appointment - drove me to Imm and I was back in their office in 30 minutes - not more than 10 minutes at Imm and all I had to do was stand for a photo and sign once... 

Yes, did this on my own for many years - but w/an agent don't have to worry what forms and spend the time filling them out and such... yes, you do pay for the service but for me it is well worth the price. 

What was the price ?.......there's 1 form to fill,time spent to fill it out,couple minutes, but whatever.

regards worgeordie

Edited by worgeordie
add on

41 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

What was the price ?.......there's 1 form to fill,time spent to fill it out,couple minutes, but whatever.

regards worgeordie

time not so much an issue but several forms and knowing how many copies to be made of this and that... but mostly, it takes an annoying task and makes it absolutely painless right down to not having to worry about a parking space... and part of that is having to remember when my 90 day report is due... total peace of mind. For me, it is a luxury VIP service at a reasonable price. 

It is not like I am going w/o lunch for a month to pay for it.

Another similar luxury for me is taking my car to the dealer for maintenance. I know it is cheaper to have it done elsewhere, but at the dealer it is done properly and I have very few car issues. I like that. It is worth the price. 

all the best Geordie,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi! I'm the OP and thanks to everyone for their comments esp. Dr Jack. Is a printout of a googlemaps page sufficient for 'the map' or does it need to be drawn in pen and ink?
Thanks again.
Someone mentioned TS&L Assoc. as possible agents but they haven't responded to an enquiry. Any specific agent recommendations are welcome ????

First Class Visa Service in Soi 13, Sukhumvit. Excellent work in everything you need. Ploy, the manager, is number 1 in getting any visa service you want. Also translations and docs registered etc.

Edited by Tony45
Additional info.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Many people do mix socially and not just online, so sharing experiences with immigration and the business of extensions and visas does come up from time to time.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, orientfan said:

Thanks for interesting replies. Yes, it's a visa extension renewal based on retirement. And I have moved to Bangkok since last year's renewal. Renewal seems a straightforward from in Pattaya and CM but protracted and problematic at CW.
Any further thoughts or recommendations are welcome.

Did you file a new TM30 at CW when you moved from Pattaya?

If you did...ok

If not...may be fined.