Time to scrap school uniforms, says Democrat

webfact

None of my business but I really like the school uniforms.  It gives the kids some pride and identifies the young ones so people can watch out for them.  Where else in the world can young ones get on a bus and everyone knows if they should be there or not.  School clothes have to be purchased in any case and then you really run into money trouble trying to keep up with the rich ones.  I think it is one of Thailand's most charming attributes.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Lungstib said:

I agree, stop teachers from ever again wearing a uniform that makes kids treat them like army generals.

Well there are Lt/Cols, Maj/Gens in the "Police" force, and similar ranks with the Immigration officers who are also "police".

So why not in the schools? This is Thailand :cheesy:

11 hours ago, mania said:

Boy they sure have that backwards...no surprise ????

But truthfully a couple cheap uniforms are way cheaper for parents than the latest fashion etc

A uniform may be washed & re-worn many days in a row...street clothes? not so much

Beat me to the punch there! Yes, my daughter used to want all the latest, trendiest gear to compete with her peers when she was at school. Different kettle of fish when she went to Uni and had to buy (mostly) everything herself! Cheap supermarkets she wouldn't have been seen dead in a couple of years earlier etc etc!

2 hours ago, bapoboy said:

In the civilized world students don’t need to wear school uniforms.

there will always be some pressure about about how you look, what you wear and how nice phone etc you have, it’s time to raise children to be strong and not weak, todays children especially in the western world suffer from psychological problems because their parents are raising them wrong..

in the 70-80-90s children spent more time outside, had more accidents, learned from there mistakes the hard way, and was more rough, todays cotton-children are weak... 

Can't see a single point to agree with in your post! 

Does that also come with the abolishment of enforced haircut styles? They don't improve academic performances either.

I like how they can see "there is a problem of some kind...or so" but can't for the life of them get anywhere close to the root of the problem. Not that there would be any action to change to begin with in either case.

My school had uniforms as a class subject at some point, pro's and con's etc blabla. Back then I was firmly on the side of "no uniforms" solely based on the argument of "individuality". Nowadays I'd probably still go for the "no uniform" vote, but actually end up being devil's advocate at the end of the day.

In Ontario Canada uniforms are for private and separate schools and should be mandatory for all schools.

The instead of taking a step backwards, the opposition should supplement the poor for education, should be free (including meals and uniforms) for those who earn below the taxation line. I have two step children and the older one had to pay entrance exam fees to military, this should be at no charge regardless of the potential brown envelopes they can earn if they chose to be that way.

I think the opposition leader is on the wrong path.

Just asked the missus how much my boy's uniform, books and shoes are. I was expecting her to say 10,000 baht, no 25,000 baht it's cost and I have to pay the school the tuition fees, transport by bus and give him pocket money to spend everyday at school for the tuck shop. Gosh, I feel like Les Dawson gossiping at the laundrette.

Les.jpg

16 hours ago, mania said:

But truthfully a couple cheap uniforms are way cheaper for parents than the latest fashion etc

A uniform may be washed & re-worn many days in a row...street clothes? not so much

Here here   uniforms prevent the rich parents showing off ther illgotten wealth  by sending their children in 15000b nike trainers and the like it is bad enough taking the kids 800m to school in the range rover or porsche 

the uniform is very cheap in places like big c but yes i have seen last week  parents pawning jewelery to buy the uniform for 2/3 kids but oddly the alcohol portion of the weekly shop did  not seem to share the same finantual burdon on the wallet

Sadly there are too many namby pamby liberals on this site that cannot /dont want to see the benefit of uniforms

Freedom of expression and individuality drives the school dress code in America....

when parents cant afford uniforms, it’s a reflection on how the bad the economy is for the poor/working class here and reinforcers the high disparity  of income in LOS....

no uniforms should be driven by rights individuality and freedom not b/c of economics....

still has a dark age mentality of why they are even following long standing traditions like uniforms crop/garbage burning re enacting crimes when the person’s guilt has yet to be proven soi dogs and my favorite wai someone to alleviate accountability when harm occurs...

My kids went to two good Thai schools while living in Bangkok.  Both had uniforms of course.  The regular uniform, a PE uniform, and a boy scout uniform.  Later when we moved back to a nice suburban area outside a large west coast city of the USA, they went to a public high school with no uniforms.  First off, it was a lot more expensive to buy school clothes in the USA.  The thing that they noticed was that there was a lot of peer pressure to wear the newest, latest, greatest, style of clothes.  This changes all the time and can get quite expensive if you try to keep up with it.  Shoes were really a big cost.  Both of my boys thought it was even worse for the girls as far as keeping up with the fashion trends.  Their opinion?  Uniforms would be a good idea for schools in the USA.  Easy to decide each day what to wear for one thing.

17 hours ago, TGIR said:

None of my business but I really like the school uniforms.  It gives the kids some pride and identifies the young ones so people can watch out for them.  Where else in the world can young ones get on a bus and everyone knows if they should be there or not.  School clothes have to be purchased in any case and then you really run into money trouble trying to keep up with the rich ones.  I think it is one of Thailand's most charming attributes.

Yes but just one type. Not a different one for every day of the week. It only feeds the greedy suppliers!!

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 5:01 AM, otherstuff1957 said:

While school uniforms are rare in the US, a few schools require them, particularly in inner city areas.  

In addition to the very valid points made by the posters above, uniforms keep gang members from wearing their "colors".  As Thailand has a violent gang problem at many Tech schools, they should keep their uniforms.

Evidence in the past shows the school colors become the gang colors. I agree the uniforms should be dropped. 

I had to buy 2 items of school uniform yesterday and it cost way too much. The scout uniform changes from primary 3 to 4. Why?

They punched the ticket for everything that they could.

There is the badge that must be added and the embroidered name too. Sucks. 

I could have paid the same price back home and that makes it 5x too expensive.

And I agree that the same uniform should be warn 5 days per week and not 3 different uniforms.

I can't see any evidence of the value of a scouts uniform to my daughter.

On 5/13/2019 at 7:29 AM, djayz said:

All of the above AND reducing the number of uniforms needed. I think it's three per week, normal school uniform, sports day uniform and scouts uniform. 

I am fairly lucky as my son has 5 school uniforms, 1 Scout uniform (rarely worn) and 2 sport uniforms.

Part of my problem is that sometimes he wears the sport clothes 3 of 4 times a week. I spend a few minutes when I do his laundry scrubbing the ingrained dirt off the collars and now I need 2 more sports uniforms.

Needless to say that they can only be bought through the school.

On 5/13/2019 at 8:39 AM, ZAKY said:

What kind of things you dont hear today!!! The cost of school uniform is now becoming a problem! What next?  ask student to simply stay at home and study in front of a computer in order to save on transportation cost! Isnt to solve the problem on cost of having to find costly garments that school uniform has become a must. 

You obviously don't have school age children.

On 5/13/2019 at 5:01 AM, otherstuff1957 said:

While school uniforms are rare in the US, a few schools require them, particularly in inner city areas.  

In addition to the very valid points made by the posters above, uniforms keep gang members from wearing their "colors".  As Thailand has a violent gang problem at many Tech schools, they should keep their uniforms.

Interesting, I didn't know, there's a gang culture happening in the Thai education system. Dreadful thought

Just now, 9653 said:

Interesting, I didn't know, there's a gang culture happening in the Thai education system. Dreadful thought

Time for drastic measures

On 5/13/2019 at 10:14 AM, Wilsonandson said:

Just asked the missus how much my boy's uniform, books and shoes are. I was expecting her to say 10,000 baht, no 25,000 baht it's cost and I have to pay the school the tuition fees, transport by bus and give him pocket money to spend everyday at school for the tuck shop. Gosh, I feel like Les Dawson gossiping at the laundrette.

Les.jpg

I am out of country, my step kids at public school cost, 1,600 for fees, uniform was 800.00 plus embroidery. Pocket money is 150 a week.

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 4:27 AM, mania said:

I was understudy that the Government allowed school children two free uniforms per year, what's happens to that.

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:49 PM, cardinalblue said:

Freedom of expression and individuality drives the school dress code in America....

when parents cant afford uniforms, it’s a reflection on how the bad the economy is for the poor/working class here and reinforcers the high disparity  of income in LOS....

no uniforms should be driven by rights individuality and freedom not b/c of economics....

still has a dark age mentality of why they are even following long standing traditions like uniforms crop/garbage burning re enacting crimes when the person’s guilt has yet to be proven soi dogs and my favorite wai someone to alleviate accountability when harm occurs...

Correct but what cloths will not so wealth families send their children to school in and what cloths do the wealthier families  send their children . The poorer children will be looked down on because they have not got the latest fashion . A uniform makes every child the same, rich or poor, with the same uniform dress.  If the government didn't spend the peoples money on tanks and submarines theirs plenty of money to send the children to school without any fee and if corruption was tattled they could be given free school meals.

20 hours ago, DavidFarrow said:

I am out of country, my step kids at public school cost, 1,600 for fees, uniform was 800.00 plus embroidery. Pocket money is 150 a week.

I've supported a Thai families children for the past 18 years, school fees, books, uniforms ,shoes but I must keep 800,000Baht in a Thai bank for a one year visa.

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 4:31 AM, Thaiwrath said:

Maybe she should get into the new world of social media, selfies etc., the reason for uniform, is that every student doesn't have to worry about peer pressure, when it comes to their clothes.

Subsidising uniforms for poorer families would be a far better idea.

I AGREE ONE %

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 6:15 AM, Topdoc said:

They are struggling to buy student uniforms because of the sluggish economy. Nearly everyone doing business here can see things changing for the worse.

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 4:27 AM, mania said:

100% agree

I know it's a waste of time to say this but...rather than concern for the wearing of school uniforms or not, the emphasis should be placed on concern for the school children coming to school on motorcycles Not wearing a helmet. 

Archived