Time to scrap school uniforms, says Democrat

webfact

Yes, this uniform rule should have been scrapped a long time already. Give the kids back they diversity. A uniform is made for military drill a la China.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/13/2019 at 7:14 AM, SABloke said:

The financial burden comes with the cost of having to buy new uniforms due to the fact that the students' names need to be embroidered onto them so no hand-me-downs or 2nd hand sales. I reckon rather than scrapping uniforms, scrapping the name requirement would make more sense.

Usually something is sewn into the uniform, but it's not their name. Poor schools could do some sort of swap within the school but having said that I'm sure boys 9-17 pretty hard on their clothes.

Many HS now have trendy pins copying Triam Udom Suksa.

I rather like the uniforms, from the better BKK schools at least. It was just Friday I was looking at the kids in uniform..

Worked there

And there

And there

Catholic boys schools definitely need to ditch the blue pants. The tan pants for boys in public schools can go as well.

Students from better schools are extremely proud of their uniforms. Many have not changed in over 50 years and very unique to the school (girl's uniform and dress code).

The problem is not cheap uniforms. The economy SUCKS especially upcountry.

2 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Usually something is sewn into the uniform, but it's not their name

You're right, it IS something. It IS their name (and surname). ????

Pins, as you alluded, would be a good universal solution.

On 5/12/2019 at 10:27 PM, mania said:

Boy they sure have that backwards...no surprise ????

But truthfully a couple cheap uniforms are way cheaper for parents than the latest fashion etc

A uniform may be washed & re-worn many days in a row...street clothes? not so much

Agree to an extent, but, as noted, a big issue is where schools require multiple uniforms. Remember my boy having a different uniform for every single day! We could afford it, no problems, but what about those that can't. I say scrap the superfluous tat and have a standard uniform and basic PE kit, that is it. Schools operating as businesses bucking the trend need to be fined.

12 hours ago, SABloke said:

You're right, it IS something. It IS their name (and surname). ????

Pins, as you alluded, would be a good universal solution.

Not in the five schools I've worked for. I've noticed in many of the more plebian schools their numbers are often sewn in addition to the school insignia. Perhaps stars to denote the year.

Some private schools use name pins. But that's a cost as well.

Actually if a child is going to a bog standard school no need for any pin or insignia. No real need for a name. It's just old dinosaur thinking.

The better public's and Catholic schools you'd be hard pressed to get them to drop uniforms out of tradition.

Many good schools do not have the name of the student, number or insignia sewn in so it's not something that absolutely must be done or is being done. Beg to differ.

No idea what they do upcountry. Only perhaps forty schools outside Bangkok and surrounding areas that matter, two thirds are private. But those will generally be middle class kids attending. This issue affects the poor.

it's also time to stop thinking of a person's age having anything to do with being a "student".  yes?

very simple to observe as well.  a love of learning, which means READING books and journals, not watching videos or looking at pictures or "stuff" like, well, what I am doing right now too..... but I don't spend more than 1/2 an hour a day, once or twice a week, making any of these stupid social media comments.

if you ever stop reading books and journals, you never were a "student".  no matter how young or old you are.  and yeah, it never involved wearing a uniform.  but without those uniforms how will anyone be able to tell who is a student and who is not? 

if they use a Kindle or other not so small screened "smart phone". 

not where they spend most of the day if it isn't a holiday....

or what they wear.  maybe.  a good step!  go Thailand!   

On 5/16/2019 at 5:44 AM, Percy P said:

I've supported a Thai families children for the past 18 years, school fees, books, uniforms ,shoes but I must keep 800,000Baht in a Thai bank for a one year visa.

I remain in Ontario, Canada. it is easier for me to support them my son's uniform here cost me a penny, 400.00 two pant, three shirt, one sweater vest and dress shoes only. kids very easy to identify on the streets and limits the social pecking order.

@SABloke

I stand corrected, looking at a number of kids from the average HSs on the BTS MRT there do appear to be a few with their names sewn into the shirt, at least the boys. I'm pretty up on high schools in Bangkok, did not recognize the insignias.

Had a student last year with nearly 25 letters in his English translated name... ????

Archived