Most poll respondents oppose ministers and junta members joining the Senate

webfact

Prawit-Wongsuwan2.png

A majority of the respondents to a Suan Dusit Poll disagree with cabinet ministers and members of the military junta resigning their current positions to assume new roles in the Senate.

The survey, by Suan Dusit University, also shows that 76.24% of the respondents oppose the Election Commission’s (EC) decision to announce the official election results in 349 constituencies instead of all 350.

The Suan Dusit Poll gauged the opinions of 1,187 people nationwide between May 7th and 11th regarding the EC’s endorsement of 149 party-list MPs and 349 constituency MPs, as well as the resignation of 15 cabinet ministers and others ahead of the announcement of the full list of 250 senators.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/most-poll-respondents-oppose-ministers-and-junta-members-joining-the-senate/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-05-13

My wife's parents voted for these army morons we just found out. Now we are at war! lol.

Anyone who votes for obvious corruption purely because the government that was self appointed made no difference at all to the poor and useless therefore they seem to vote for them because change can be a scary thing. That's appalling that Thai citizen's can vote in this way. Firstly its depressing but secondly they don't care about there countries future. This whole drama sends a clear message to the world this country is now officially a joke.

33 minutes ago, webfact said:

A majority of the respondents to a Suan Dusit Poll disagree

so what , the photo shows it all; an unrespected, corrupt military despot, highly questionable intelligence, Telling us what to do

If they are willing to spend 5 years making a whole new set of ground rules, appointing all friendly faces in their 'independent' institutions, then buy hated politicians, rig an election and break the rule for handing seats to small parties, I doubt some obscure poll will bother them in the slightest.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

If only there were a system in place where people could officially oppose this kind of behavior by choosing who they’d like to be appointed senators. People could be given a card to tick, etc. Then those cards could be counted and the people with the most ticks get to help pick the senators. 

Oh, well. 

Just now, rkidlad said:

If only there were a system in place where people could officially oppose this kind of behavior by choosing who they’d like to be appointed senators. People could be given a card to tick, etc. Then those cards could be counted and the people with the most ticks get to be senators. 

Oh, well. 

Problem is, the "system" you propose would be manipulated by those in power.

One more democratic idea down the tube!

Next

Amazing as it seems, it appears that even the Bhumjumthai and the Democrats are getting cold feet with regards joining the PPRP party, given the apparent ground swell of negative feeling on how this whole process has been concocted. Given the location of Bhumjumthai heartland, i find it difficult to believe their voters really want the party to join the military coalition.

In my opinion any party who joins the PPRP against that groundswell of opinion is essentially signing the death knell of their political parties come the next election. The crux being that i presume the PPRP/military realize this and possibly will concoct many a reason not to hold an election again, although saner and rationale heads, which there must be some, have got to realize the situation they have is not sustainable. Perhaps some of the saner and rational ones, who are not already in to deep, might start to take some tentative steps backwards.

57 minutes ago, neeray said:

Problem is, the "system" you propose would be manipulated by those in power.

One more democratic idea down the tube!

Next

I know. I was alluding to a democratic election in jest. 

2 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

My wife's parents voted for these army morons we just found out. Now we are at war! lol.

Anyone who votes for obvious corruption purely because the government that was self appointed made no difference at all to the poor and useless therefore they seem to vote for them because change can be a scary thing. That's appalling that Thai citizen's can vote in this way. Firstly its depressing but secondly they don't care about there countries future. This whole drama sends a clear message to the world this country is now officially a joke.

For many it's nothing more than Thaksin v the rest. They remember Thaksin's corruption yet don't seem to see that the current lot are just as bad, if not worse. My partner voted FF yet many of her friends honestly believed that because the weren't pro-junta, they were pro-Thaksin!

But this poll does seem to indicate that much of the populace do understand the manipulation effected by the junta and don't like it. But, they voted for the constitution so they are partly to blame.

3 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

Probably voted for them because they were offered the financial bribe at the ballot box!!

3 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

yes, how dare they have their own opinion and not vote for yours and your wifes preferred party. 

1 minute ago, seajae said:

yes, how dare they have their own opinion and not vote for yours and your wifes preferred party. 

That's not what I'm saying. THey can vote for who they like.

I'm just relaying the reason and that is their perception that anyone anti-junta is pro-Thaksin!

54 minutes ago, seajae said:

Without public debate and independent fair and open news media analysis, there can be little hope of an informed electorate.

The suppression of freedom of expression has been the modus operandi of typical authoritarian governments to control the political message and gain favor from the electorate. No doubt the NCPO has used all its absolute powers to control and deliver a virtually uncontested message to the Thai people.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Their sentiment NOW is appreciated.

But there was about 30% of eligible voters who did not vote on the 2017 draft charter constitution, essentially allowing it to pass by a narrow majority?

If you stand silent, you buy it.

Of course. I think most objective polls would show that the vast majority of Thais oppose army rule, their draconian policies, their stunning degree of incompetence, the fake corruption crackdowns, the lack of initiatives to benefit the nation, the sabotaging of both the economy and the tourism industry, and the continued false purification campaigns. Not to mention the stunning lack of planning toward the future, the lack of progressive policies towards the eradication of human trafficking, illegal fishing, and sex slavery. Add in the lack of policy with regard to the environment, and the air quality issues, and you have one of the least effective and perhaps the least visionary, most apathetic, and least competent administrations on the planet.  

Nobody likes incompetence. Soldiers are trained to obey orders. They are not trained in politics and have little regard for the will of the people. 

4 hours ago, madmitch said:

For many it's nothing more than Thaksin v the rest. They remember Thaksin's corruption yet don't seem to see that the current lot are just as bad, if not worse. My partner voted FF yet many of her friends honestly believed that because the weren't pro-junta, they were pro-Thaksin!

But this poll does seem to indicate that much of the populace do understand the manipulation effected by the junta and don't like it. But, they voted for the constitution so they are partly to blame.

They did not vote for the constitution. The lead up to the so called referendum on that subject was totally one sided. Anyone coming out against the d(r)aft constitution or raising valid arguments were threatened with arrest.  Their claim that the constitution was supported by the people is utter rubbish. The people were not even allowed to know what they were really voting on. 

Archived