Immigration policeman's daughter, 5, falls from hotel room while he slept

webfact

Immigration policeman's daughter, 5, falls from hotel room while he slept

1pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Both Ruk Siam News and Daily News reported that a five year old child fell from the balcony of a hotel in the early hours of Sunday morning. 

But there were conflicting stories in the Thai media. 

Daily News reported that the father was with his wife and child in a twin room on the fifth floor.

He was unaware that his daughter had fallen at 5 am and was woken by staff. 

The child was rushed to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital. 

They said that he was an immigration officer from Sisaket in town for a training seminar.

Ruksiam News reported that the father was staying on the 12th floor and the child fell from there. 

They named the father as 43 year old Sen Sgt-Maj Decha Sukphlam but made no mention of his wife. They said he was in town for a party.

They said that the daughter had broken arms and legs. 

In both stories they quoted the father as saying that he thinks his daughter was sleepwalking. 

Police are investigating the incident that occurred in Beach Road, Jomtien, Soi 14. 

Source: Ruk Siam News | Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-13

This happen far too often. Unsure if it because a dim witted parent leaves a balcony door open while sleeping, or the child is able to open the door, most have a simple slide up and easy mechanism. They obviously need child proof locks. 

10 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

There is also the issue of the height and strength of balcony railings.

I have never felt the height (or strength) was an issue where a 5 year old is concerned. I certainly have felt them too low (or weak) for a falang adult. But kids shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a balcony, there is often an AC Compressor, chairs and table out there to clamber on.  

Broken arms and legs will repair. Hope there is nothing more than that.

"the father was staying on the 12th floor and the child fell from there." I'd say that she is a pretty lucky girl !

Best wishes little lady. 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Daily News reported that the father was with his wife and child in a twin room on the fifth floor.

Ruksiam News reported that the father was staying on the 12th floor and the child fell from there. 

Bit of a difference but either way the child is lucky to be alive.

12th floor??? i seriously doubt she would have survived that, was probably 5th. Anyway I really hope she'll recover.

Yes this type of webfact has sadly become all to familiar of late. The last 4 that I have read have one common denominator & that is, all the unfortunate children who have either died or suffered serious injury are Thai & not foreign tourists.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Same Same but different , Eric Claptons 4yr old son fell from thier high rise condo in New York ,52 floors , the boy was playing hide and seek with his mother , when the janitor removed one of the windows....Absolutle tragedy...I cannot even imagine the pain..you can keep your amazing views I will be happy on the ground floor.....

Same Same but different , Eric Claptons 4yr old son fell from thier high rise condo in New York ,52 floors , the boy was playing hide and seek with his mother , when the janitor removed one of the windows....Absolutle tragedy...I cannot even imagine the pain..you can keep your amazing views I will be happy on the ground floor.....

Not nit picking here but it was 53rd floor, whichever floor it was the boy tragically fell to his death. A strange thing is the absence of statements from the janitor & nanny, neither were there photos of the alleged open window. I don’t have any thoughts on this bar sadness of the loss of life for one so young

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

41 minutes ago, LoS itaint said:

Not nit picking here but it was 53rd floor, whichever floor it was the boy tragically fell to his death. A strange thing is the absence of statements from the janitor & nanny, neither were there photos of the alleged open window. I don’t have any thoughts on this bar sadness of the loss of life for one so young

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Eric Clapton mentions it in his autobiography. That place had safety measures but they had been defeated by the janitor while cleaning windows. In Thailand we are some ways from safety considerations and regulations.

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

This happen far too often. Unsure if it because a dim witted parent leaves a balcony door open while sleeping, or the child is able to open the door, most have a simple slide up and easy mechanism. They obviously need child proof locks. 

This happen far too often.

Do you have the precise statistics? Can you please add a link to that information?

dim witted parent...

Accidents happen ONLY to 'dim witted' people?

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Eric Clapton mentions it in his autobiography. That place had safety measures but they had been defeated by the janitor while cleaning windows. In Thailand we are some ways from safety considerations and regulations.

Yes, it is very obvious that Thailand is 'very far' from the West in many many ways!

Neighbour at a condo lost her pedigree dog out of the 8th floor window, she meant to get mozzie screens installed. Few months later the 2 year old crawled out as the bed was up against the window - smacked onto the concrete car park. Rushed her to Hospital but she was already dead, safety is not common concern here.

16 hours ago, Sheryl said:

There is also the issue of the height and strength of balcony railings.

If it was a railing, I think the child probably fell through the bars, not a matter of height. For adults, you are right.

17 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I have never felt the height (or strength) was an issue where a 5 year old is concerned. I certainly have felt them too low (or weak) for a falang adult. But kids shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a balcony, there is often an AC Compressor, chairs and table out there to clamber on.  

Indeed - my Son (5yrs old) is not allowed on any balcony in any building unless an adult is present with him on the balcony. 

These 'slide locks' without a proper (key) lock are lethal - I've had to screw the windows shut in my Son's bedroom because he could stand on something and reach the lock. 

Sadly, there are no safety mechanisms in place in so many buildings, as a parent we have to take extra precaution, but it also reminds me not to take safety for granted when back in the UK with my child. I always assume there will be locks etc and there usually is, but they could be left open by mistake etc. 

----

The report of the child falling from the 12th floor an surviving is somewhat strange, I would have though the outcome more definite from that height, thus something seems amiss in the report. I hope she's ok. 

10 hours ago, ravip said:

This happen far too often.

Do you have the precise statistics? Can you please add a link to that information?

dim witted parent...

Accidents happen ONLY to 'dim witted' people?

There is a statistic in the OP, this once is far too often. Sadly there was another incident in Thailand not long ago. 

Accident may be the wrong word here, it suggests something that happens by chance, or without cause. While I do not have the detail it clearly states a child was left unsupervised in a room with an open, or easily opened balcony on a high floor. 

Well people die in accidents all over the world, but when you look at the road deaths statistics here I'm pretty sure Thailand also top other statistics.  

Archived