Long Stay - Health Insurance

There have been plenty of rumours going around about the possibility of it becoming a requirement to also have health insurance to obtain extensions of stay.

It would seem that this may be occurring sooner rather than later as Pacific Cross have recently published their Health Insurance Plans for Long Stay farangs. See the link to their policy herewith ( https://www.pacificcrosshealth.com/en/health-insurance/longstay-visa/  ).

If this is becoming a reality, then it's only a matter of time until the other Thai based health insurance companies follow suit, and once they all fall into line Immigration will implement this requirement.  However, with regards to the plans shown in the link, Platinum 1 is a virtual replica, except for a couple of minor items, of their current Standard Plus Plan. Problem is Platinum 1 is more expensive than Standard Plus.

So for those farangs who currently don't have health insurance, it might be time to start shopping around and be prepared for when it eventually transfers from rumour to reality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Immigration Officials have discussed mandatory health insurance for the long stay Non-Immigrant O-A visa. Extensions are not a visa.  I don't think Immigration Officials have said anything yet about mandatory health insurance for extensions, although that seems to be a strong possibility.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, elviajero said:

It’s highly unlikely they will introduce it for extension of stay permits.

According to my contact at pacific Cross and another farang's contact at Pacific Cross, that's exactly what it's intended for, extensions of stay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

If this is correct, I wonder if immigration have thought this out, especially for those retirees over the age of 70? I can almost guarantee that a lot of these people will not be able to be insured except by policies that don't mean a thing. As the body gets older, the more defects appear, and you can read these defects as exclusions from insurance policies.

To remove a person/persons from a life where, in the majority of cases many years have been spent here without such requirements, and now can't meet introduced insurance criteria is going to paint an ugly picture to the rest of the world. This is not the direction either TAT or immigration want to be going, of that I am sure.

Just for clarity, I am not one of those people who believe the Thais want to get rid of all of us ex-pats, nor do I believe in the fantasy that recent changes are directing seekers of extensions to agents. Yes, these are changing times but lets be real with the conspiracies, eh?

"If this is correct, I wonder if immigration have thought this out, especially for those retirees over the age of 70?"

Fortunately with Pacific Cross they do not have this discriminatory age restriction. They will take on new customers up to age 75. If 65 or older a full medical is required beforehand, and the cover offered is based on the results of that medical. Once covered they will continue to insure you as per their documentation up to age 99, but should you live longer they will continue to insure you.  If you have read the link in it's entirety you will notice that premiums are not increased annually as we age, but broken down into age brackets. The premiums on their existing plans have not been increased for several years. There was talk that they were to be increased early this year, but to date they remain as is. Also if you compare their premiums to other health insurance companies, they are more affordable than the rest, they do their own underwriting which is a huge plus as far as health insurance goes and you don't have to pay and then make a claim ( you can if you choose to do things that way ) you just present your Pacific Cross card to the hospital and they bill Pacific Cross direct. TBH I will be registering for the Standard Plus Plan which offers exactly the same as the Platinum 1, except for 2 items, and the annual premium is less expensive. Also with the Standard Plus, if you exclude Outpatient care, there is a 20% discount on the premium, and then there are No Claim bonuses when claims are not lodged. 

Even before all the rumours started I've been looking into affordable health insurance here for the best part of 4 years, and without a doubt this is the best health insurance company I've come across.

I'm just waiting on answers to a couple of questions from Pacific Cross before I sign up, whether Immigration require it or not.

• Like 1

I have no issues with compulsory insurance I just think its implementation (i.e. the long stay method of nominating Thai insurance companies) will open it up to corruption.

One can imagine the Thai insurance companies are pushing for this and if it gets passed it opens up the possibility that they are greasing wheels, otherwise the requirement would just be for a monetary level of insurance by any international providor.

I have insurance already I dont want to have to buy some crappy Thai policy just to facilitate the issunace of a visa/ext of stay.

Edited by MRToMRT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"It would seem that this may be occurring sooner rather than later as Pacific Cross have recently published their Health Insurance Plans for Long Stay farangs. See the link to their policy herewith ( https://www.pacificcrosshealth.com/en/health-insurance/longstay-visa/  )."

they along with a host of other insurers have been providing these types of plans for years, nothing to do with anything immigration or other authorities may or may not be planning.

nice promo for pacific cross though ????

• Thanks 1

Read the policy terms and conditions carefully. There was some wording on one of their policies I was interested in that basically said they could raise your rates and modify your plan at their discretion.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

6 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

It would seem that this may be occurring sooner rather than later as Pacific Cross have recently published their Health Insurance Plans for Long Stay farangs. See the link to their policy herewith ( https://www.pacificcrosshealth.com/en/health-insurance/longstay-visa/  ).

It only shows up to 75? What happens after 75? Go back to home country or get tourist visa and join the visa run gang? Up to 75, prices may be reasonable like 5K/month or less than $200USD. So I have to pay $200USD for medicare part A, $200USD for Thai insurance. 400USD/month or 5K per year. If I live 20 years after retirement, I need 100K or 3 million Baht. I need to increase my minimum 2 million cash requirement for Thailand retirement to 5 million. 

Edited by onera1961

8 hours ago, SEtonal said:

Immigration Officials have discussed mandatory health insurance for the long stay Non-Immigrant O-A visa. Extensions are not a visa.  I don't think Immigration Officials have said anything yet about mandatory health insurance for extensions, although that seems to be a strong possibility.

With a stroke of a pen in Bangkok, "extensions" are no more, and it's a 1 year renewable retirement visa, requiring a 12 month medical insurance policy with each new visa application.

Simple as that. 

Not if, just when. 

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

With a stroke of a pen in Bangkok, "extensions" are no more, and it's a 1 year renewable retirement visa, requiring a 12 month medical insurance policy with each new visa application.

Simple as that. 

Not if, just when. 

Not When but if? Probably never.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, elviajero said:

It’s highly unlikely they will introduce it for extension of stay permits.

I agree. The whole scam of insurance here is predicated upon insuring only the young and running away from any and all obligation at 60, or even before.

Insurance which everyone wants, but does not want to be ripped off will be the third rail. If they force people to sign up for bs medical insurance $$$ they will be gone.

It's one thing to pay b200 to a doctor for a bs medical exam. Quite another to pay 200k a year for worthless insurance. Medicare is half that or less I believe.

Go ahead Thailand, I dare you.

Will you make teachers many Filipinos making 20k a month subscribe to the folly as well? Western farang making 30k? Will you expect schools to pay this 555?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I agree. The whole scam of insurance here is predicated upon insuring only the young and running away from any and all obligation at 60, or even before.

Insurance which everyone wants, but does not want to be ripped off will be the third rail. If they force people to sign up for bs medical insurance $$$ they will be gone.

It's one thing to pay b200 to a doctor for a bs medical exam. Quite another to pay 200k a year for worthless insurance. Medicare is half that or less I believe.

Will you make teachers many Filipinos making 20k a month subscribe to the folly as well? Western farang making 30k? Will you expect schools to pay this 555?

When's the last time you can say they actually implemented a common sense policy here????

On that basis, anything is possible. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

There have been plenty of rumours going around about the possibility of it becoming a requirement to also have health insurance to obtain extensions of stay.

So how would that transaction work?

You would need an extension approval for at least 12 months, to require the policy? or if you buy a policy the policy a 12 month extension will be approved? .....

14 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

"If this is correct, I wonder if immigration have thought this out, especially for those retirees over the age of 70?"

Fortunately with Pacific Cross they do not have this discriminatory age restriction. They will take on new customers up to age 75. If 65 or older a full medical is required beforehand, and the cover offered is based on the results of that medical. Once covered they will continue to insure you as per their documentation up to age 99, but should you live longer they will continue to insure you.  If you have read the link in it's entirety you will notice that premiums are not increased annually as we age, but broken down into age brackets. The premiums on their existing plans have not been increased for several years. There was talk that they were to be increased early this year, but to date they remain as is. Also if you compare their premiums to other health insurance companies, they are more affordable than the rest, they do their own underwriting which is a huge plus as far as health insurance goes and you don't have to pay and then make a claim ( you can if you choose to do things that way ) you just present your Pacific Cross card to the hospital and they bill Pacific Cross direct. TBH I will be registering for the Standard Plus Plan which offers exactly the same as the Platinum 1, except for 2 items, and the annual premium is less expensive. Also with the Standard Plus, if you exclude Outpatient care, there is a 20% discount on the premium, and then there are No Claim bonuses when claims are not lodged. 

Even before all the rumours started I've been looking into affordable health insurance here for the best part of 4 years, and without a doubt this is the best health insurance company I've come across.

I'm just waiting on answers to a couple of questions from Pacific Cross before I sign up, whether Immigration require it or not.

How much?  I went to their page got a quote and it came out fairly large like 800 USD/month!  I am 62 non-smoker.  Maybe I picked a too big a plan, but I went with standard which seemed like the first choice.

Edited by gk10002000
add

Pacific Cross is the worst inssurance ever.

As long as you have small issues (accidents, hospital costs, ...) no problem, but if there is some major claim, they will try everything to not pay you out.

I speak of behalf of my experience with Pacific Cross, now I have an inssurance from my homecountry at 10% the costs of PC, and there are no limitations, and no problems at all, in case of a claim.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

It would seem that this may be occurring sooner rather than later as Pacific Cross have recently published their Health Insurance Plans for Long Stay farangs.

Correct.

According to Nattawuth, the new rule applies to both new applicants for the non-immigrant visa (O-A), which offers a stay of up to one year, and those wishing to renew their visa. Each renewal is valid for one year.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SEtonal said:

both new applicants for the non-immigrant visa (O-A), which offers a stay of up to one year, and those wishing to renew their visa. Each renewal is valid for one year.

Thats not at  all  clear in any way, it mentions "new" O-A and implies extending an O-A, it doesnt make clear ALL NON O visas types or  ALL  extensions of stay for other O type  visas

8 hours ago, Number 6 said:

If they pay tax cant they  join the ThaI scheme anyway? which might exempt them?

17 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

It would seem that this may be occurring sooner rather than later as Pacific Cross have recently published their Health Insurance Plans for Long Stay farangs. See the link to their policy herewith

Policies similar to this have been around a long time, easily found from some of the Expat Clubs for example, even group plans were available, but they seem to have died out. 

It is likely in the general tightening up on long term foreign residents in Thailand that they will be required to have medical cover, as do neighbouring countries, but I don't see anything in the link forecasting or having inside knowledge of this. 

14 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Thats not at  all  clear in any way, it mentions "new" O-A and implies extending an O-A, it doesnt make clear ALL NON O visas types or  ALL  extensions of stay for other O type  visas

No, it is not clear at all.  Expect each Immigration Office to interpret the rule differently.

10 hours ago, fishtank said:

Not When but if? Probably never.

Today's (14/5/19) Thai Visa headline: HEALTH insurance has been made mandatory for foreigners aged 50 years and above seeking long-term stay in Thailand.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Today's (14/5/19) Thai Visa headline: HEALTH insurance has been made mandatory for foreigners aged 50 years and above seeking long-term stay in Thailand.

Same as talked about before. It is only needed to apply for a OA long stay visa the embassy in your home country and my be months until it implemented. Same insurance required to apply for the non-ox visa at a embassy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Same as talked about before. It is only needed to apply for a OA long stay visa the embassy in your home country and my be months until it implemented. Same insurance required to apply for the non-ox visa at a embassy.

I see you replying to a lot of posts like this for the next 2 months.  Interesting that it only applies to non-OA, but not non-O, Thai Elite memberships, etc.

Edited by 4evermaat