Chumsai says CCTVs needed to curb crime

Rimmer

Chumsai says CCTVs needed to curb crime

image.png

PATTAYA:--The Chumsai Community implored city hall to install more CCTV cameras in the central Pattaya neighborhood to curb crime.

President Jirawat Plukjai chaired the monthly community council meeting May 10, saying he has asked the city to install more closed-circuit cameras in high-risk and dark areas to reduce crime and make police investigations easier.

Chumsai also wants convex mirrors for curves on neighborhood streets to reduce accidents.

Both requests are under consideration.

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-05-13--

Good plan.  While you're at it, add more LIGHTS in those DARK areas. 

Although being Pattaya, and Thailand in general, can't help but muse that this fella's sudden burst of initiative about CCTV follows a visit by a CCTV salesman with a brown envelope.  ????

Over the past 3 years, a major intersection in my city went from no CCTV to, one by one, 3 of them now, all on the same southbound traffic signal pole pointed in the same direction.  2 have wires hanging out the back going nowhere, clearly out of commission.  Saw guys up a manlift installing a new, 3rd camera recently; probably with the same 2-week Chinese warranty and no maintenance.

50 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

Chumsai also wants convex mirrors for curves on neighborhood streets to reduce accidents.

Yeah, they keep getting nicked where I live. Better have cameras on them.

10 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:

they are never working when they are needed

so true. a friend recently had her bag stolen but was relieved to see the area was covered by cctv, unfortunately when she went to the police they told her that non of the cameras were connected...

Just another blame game. Lack of cameras!!!....I foresee a probe coming followed with pie charts a seafood buffer all leading to a relative or familly member supplying and installing the cameras....well played Khun Plukjai well played...

15 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

the stats from the U.K. point to a reduction in vehicle/property crime but no real difference in violent crime and in some areas there's debate whether it's even worth the money..

Coincidentally I just watched one of these Crime Type reality TV programs where both cameras in front of a bar, and a security camera on the front of a private house jointly solved a missing woman case, which was actually a murder. 

They seem to work well after the event, not yet as deterrent, but are very useful and the way police work is heading. 

For Pattaya, problem is these numties can't keep them working!

Archived